Blog 34 (20/06/07)

Welcome to this week's blog. I'll rattle through some new features that we will be adding soon.

<h3>Running through houses! Whoooo!!!</h3>

This is great. BogdanV has been working on map objects that you can run over or through. Essentially, destructable scenery. I talked about this a little in the podcast a few weeks ago and I think I remember saying that I would find you a video. So I will.

Note: Ignore the screaming on the first video, replacing humans with walls does that :D

Tanks > Walls & Trees

WallTreeTests4.WMV

Tanks > Houses

CrushTest2.wmv

<h3>I'm TnT, I'm Dyanamite!</h3>

Crazy Ivan usually explodes onto the battlefiled with his throwing arm ready to throw sticks of dynamite at everything that moves. Ivan carrys a lot of small separate sticks of dynamite that he can throw a long way with ease. This makes him dangerous to the allies. He can't throw his bigger charges very far compared to his smaller charges so he chooses to only carry a certain number of them. Nobody knows how he can carry all of those smaller charges though, he seems to pull them out from everywhere. One such charge has miraculously appeared in one of our renders.

dynmatienewone.jpg

Model by Svensmokavich, unwrap and texture by Chevy787. (This texture may only be a temporary fixture however)

<h3>Random stuff</h3>

Frankly there isn't anything else that really deserves it's own section, so I'll sum it up here.

Harriers and other planes: with our plane units, we are hoping to incorperate evasive manouvers. This means you'll be able to loop the loop, dive down sharply and also "DO A BARREL ROLL!" by holding a certain key down and pushing one of the movement buttons (WSAD etc.). This will enable harrier pilots to really become pilots and not just be flying a plane with helicopter physics. Be careful though, your planes cannot land anywhere but at your Air Force Command. Landing elsewhere will result in you and your plane blowing up horribly. This is primarily because the landing gear only interacts with the Air Force Command HQ and that Harriers are only designed for quick strike missons and not a fast unit transport to the enemy base. That is what the Nighthawk is for.

V3 unwrap: Ric has been hard at work on the V3 unrwrap and it is now complete. Check it out!

v303.jpg

Expect this ingame soon :)

Exams: Are all done and dusted for most of the AR staff if not all of them. We'll be working like stink on the mod over the holidays to get most of the assets done ready for some testing. :)

<h3>Competiton</h3>

The competition is currently being judged. The winners will be announced next week and given their prizes!

Note to entrants: TagDaze has said that if he comes first in the competition he is offering to give his prize to second place so everyone moves up a rank. The reasoning behind this is that he didn't seem it fair because he has been doing voice over work for over a year now. Big respect to TagDaze for doing this. It take a lot of balls to potentially give up such a fabulous prize.

Speaking of TagDaze, it is his Birthday today so I would like to take this oppertunity to wish him a happy birthday and best wishes for the future!

<h3>The Ultimate Sound Mod!</h3>

Thats right my friends. My sound mod is done. Me and my brother, TurboDiRT, created some sounds, I edited them to go ingame and Saberhawk made me an installer for it :)

This is not your average sound mod. This mod does not try to make the sounds realistic in any way.

This is a comedy mod for Red Alert: A Path Beyond Version 0.9935 (Another version will be released when APB Beta is released). Most of the sounds are replaced with human sounds. It is hard to explain but you will get what I mean once you try it out.

<h3>End of File</h3>

Thats it folks. Check back here next week for some cool stuff and yeah.... cool stuff :)

EDITHAX: Lets play a game of spot the Mirage Tank! Brought to you by DP88 Games!

Guest Westy543

Yay!

TagDaze ftw. "Nice racing V3 skin. :)"

By human sounds, I'm guessing you mean you making explosion sounds into the microphone and stuff? :p

With destructable environments, you know that if you guys forget just ONE thing, everyone will complain "OMG!!! My vehicles can crush a house, but not this hotdog stand?!1" :D

Nice Blog OWA.

RA2 Smoke Rising would be a better name for the videos. :p

The Dynamit doesn't look bad. Yes it is the old trick in cartoons. They can take a 2 meter high hammers, and 1000 items out of a small trouser pocket. The great soviet scientist :o:) and used this idea to creat a trouser pocket for the Ivan that comprimse the material inside. :) That is the secret. Soviet scientist are better than allied. We just need Abert Einstein. Ivan bombs all. :o

The V3 looks nice, but it has a lot of edges. If this V3 rocket crashs against allied structure the result will be destruction. V3 a part of the glory soviet war machine. (should be in an soviet advert ) We will crush capitalism. :D

Respect TagDaze for your decision. :)

Happy birthday TagDaze enjoy it. APB BETA testing comrad.

I need to test the Ultimate Sound Mod. I hope it has has the same quality as the soviet tanks have. :)

Original by OWA

Thats it folks. Check back here next week for some cool stuff and yeah.... cool stuff :)

Cool stuff like the soviet union. :o

Sorry guys I am writing on friday my last test ^^ and :D .

Also I have to do some other school stuff. School makes crayz. :p

Guest EVA-251

Another good blog!

First video was great, the second video was...well, it got boring after watching that ugly tank smash through an environment for 3 minutes.

@ the Ivan Bomb- Sounds good, but how will this work? The victim will hear the bomb ticking when it is attached, but will this be visible to the victim, or only to an Engineer (who can disarm it?)

@ the Harrier- Interesting. So, when the Harrier collides with the ground and the ground is not an Airpad, it will crash? Could it be made so the plane crashes if it hits a wall/cliff/etc, because seeing 2 Harriers collide mid-air during evasion actions would be funny.

The V3 is looking great, I can't wait for the skinned version. :D

How many polys is it, btw?

Guest Aidoneus

"your planes cannot land anywhere but at your Air Force Command. Landing elsewhere will result in you and your plane blowing up horribly."

You win. Completely and utterly.

Another good blog!

First video was great, the second video was...well, it got boring after watching that ugly tank smash through an environment for 3 minutes.

@ the Ivan Bomb- Sounds good, but how will this work? The victim will hear the bomb ticking when it is attached, but will this be visible to the victim, or only to an Engineer (who can disarm it?)

@ the Harrier- Interesting. So, when the Harrier collides with the ground and the ground is not an Airpad, it will crash? Could it be made so the plane crashes if it hits a wall/cliff/etc, because seeing 2 Harriers collide mid-air during evasion actions would be funny.

The V3 is looking great, I can't wait for the skinned version. :D

How many polys is it, btw?

1. The Allies will hear a ticking noise if the big TnT is placed on an MCT or bridge control thingy.

2. Yes you are right. The Harrier will crash if not on an airpad. It is still to be debated on whether we add the extra functionality of being able to land at tech airports. The Harrier may also feature a small feature that enables you to check whether the harrier is occupied from a distance. If the the Harrier is empty the top hatch will be open, but if someone is inside it the hatch will be closed. We like attention to detail like that.

3. Around the 3000 poly mark.

"your planes cannot land anywhere but at your Air Force Command. Landing elsewhere will result in you and your plane blowing up horribly."

You win. Completely and utterly.

Cheers Aido :)

Guest jimme9900

"spot the mirage tank"

It's right there! *points at picture*

Oh, wait... that's a tree :/

Damn can't see it, now i'll never walk trough a soviet forest again in the fear of being run over by a tree :D

Guest TagDaze

Hehe, thanks for the happy birthdays. And OWA, my "passing on the win" line was not supposed be made public. Now I look like an arrogant ass.

Guest Westy543
Hehe, thanks for the happy birthdays. And OWA, my "passing on the win" line was not supposed be made public. Now I look like an arrogant ass.

1. Happy Birthday.

2. No you don't.

Guest -SF-Ivan the Terrible

The crushing walls and trees is a nice feature, cant wait to tear down all the trees before the mirage tanks come.

And OWA, my "passing on the win" line was not supposed be made public. Now I look like an arrogant ass.

You couldn't have been more wrong :D

What a nice thing to do Tagdaze

1. Happy Birthday.

2. No you don't.

Guest sadukar09

happy b-day :D

@harrier :) will they have the destruction anim like the YR intro movie? :) it was cool 2 harriers crashing into each other :)

A point to be made is that buildings wont be crushable by tanks. To get that effect bogdan practicly had to play lego with it. the only things that you will be able to crush are as follows:

Infantry

other tanks (battle fortress)

Base walls (BF again)

Wire fences

Sandbags

Random objects that we want crushable: AKA hotdog stands.

Also the scream can be replaced with any sound we like so the sound being there just means we can replace it with the sound of a wall falling down and being crushed into the ground by a huge fortress on tracks.