Blog 82 (21/05/08)

So yeah, it's blog day but we don't have much to show for it since this time of the year is pretty crucial what with exams and stuff. Sorry guys, but your just gonna have to bear with us giving a little less for a little while. We'll be back on form during the summer though, don't worry :D

<h3>Soviet War Factory Walkthrough</h3>

dtrngd made a little video for you guys today with the help of Gummibear and Killz0ne! It's a nice little walkthrough of the soviet war factory that is currently ingame.Take a look below as dtrngd explores the interior of this magnificent structure for your viewing pleasure! Kudos to Ric and Zion_Fox for what we have so far with this building!

The current building is obviously not finished. There are still a multitude of doors to be added, as well as a lot of nice objects to populate the place. Perhaps a big Romanov banner on the inside wall with a lot more symbolism. If it is possible, we plan to have vehicles raise up through the bottom area (with the railings) up to the top ramp before rolling out of the factory or, in the Kirov's case, floating out of the top. The war factory will compensate more for these larger vehicles, making it pretty epic in scale. We aim to have two weakpoints in the structure. What looks like an MCT in the top "viewing point" area, is the control computer for the consctruction mechanisms, there will then be a supplies cache which contains ammunition and fuel which will be the secondary weakpoint.

All I can really say is that Apocalypse Rising is going to be worth the wait comrades.

<h3>Competition Over!</h3>

The votes are in and counted!

It has been a really close call here, but we have a winner! Let's find out who it is!

<h4>5th</h4>

In 5th place we have M1941 with his first entry into the competition which scored a respectable 9 points.

AR.png

<h4>4th</h4>

In 4th place we have K1llz0ne with one of his many entries. K1llz0ne definitely wins the prize for the most entries, with a staggering 16 entries! This particular entry earnt a solid 12 points.

SovietDomination-1.png

<h4>3rd</h4>

In 3rd place we have Elearen with this first entry. The one scored just a single point more than K1llz0ne's best icon to leapfrog into 3rd with 13 points. unlucky for some, luck for others maybe?

arlogo2b.png

<h4>2nd</h4>

In 2nd place we have M1941's second entry. This one was my personal favourite as I love the way it incorperates the splash screen from the installer. This one, suprisingly, scored one more point than Elearen's entry, ending up with a nice total of 14 points all together.

AR2.png

<h4>1st</h4>

But the entry that beat M1941 to the top stop by a mere 2 points, to finish up with a mighty 16 points, is Xarah's entry. Very nicely done there Xarah, expect to see your icon featured in AR when it is released!

Apri.png

<h4>Summary</h4>

1st - Xarah

2nd - M1941

3rd - Elearen

4th - K1llz0ne

5th - M1941

BigOz get's a special shout out from the staff since he did his entry entirely in what appears to be microsoft paint, which really deserves a mention.

A shout also goes out to Trevelian who made his icons using the shp sprite graphics from Red Alert 2.

Good use of resources there guys!

A final shout goes out to rm5248 for entering the competition late and thus being disqualified for late entry. No hard feelings eh mate?

Thankyou very much to everyone who participated! I hope you'll come back and enter next time we have a competition!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

Exams are bad right, but it gets even worse when your PC crashes out on you too. Just like it did at the weekend. I had to copy my files over to my backup drive (<3 cfehunter) using task manager's run prompt and reformat my C:\ drive, so yeah my pc is a lot faster, but I haven't got much in the way of apps on it right now. I am so glad that I was able to back things up, as I lost nothing mod related! Good eh?

cfehunter has been doing various things since he completed GTA IV, he'll be working on getting the allied walls finished up and then hopefully having a bash at the Grizzly Tank again.

danpaul88 has some nice screenshots for you here, here and here!

TheBeerinator graduates soon. Good luck to you man

Chronojam graduated from WPI! Congratulations man!

Steppo also graduated recently! Check out BHP's manliest man looking like he could beat even Steven Fry at a game of Qi.

Soviet_Deso popped by to say hi!

Lord_Kane has had some PC trouble which he should hopefully overcome soon. Best of luck there!

TagDaze went on a protest against the church of scientology as the internet hate machine took to the streets in a mass wave of V for Vendetta masks. Power to the people I say!

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

To commemorate the newest Indiana Jones film, some guys rolled a Lego boulder, with a styrofoam centre, down a hill in San Francisco, after a guy dressed up as Indie. Pretty crazy.

<center><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Goodbye</h3>

Ciao ^_^

"Do you think he'll notice?"

Congrats, Xarah.

OWA, could you set up the runners-up as alternate icons for the .exe file?

Sure, that could be good.

Sweet War Factory. Will there be Backdoors ?

Icons are cool, too.

There will be backdoors.

if you have two weak points wouldn't tanyas and seals have a field day with the building?

You assume too much. Both weak points need to be destroyed for the building to be destroyed, in theory.

It's just a way of stopping Tanyas and SEALs from camping one location to ensure certain doom to a single building.

Guest Kurorahk

Awesome job on the war factory, that video just wow... really gives a good look at the game so far with scale and functionality. Man good job guy(and gals if any are working on AR) and a round of applause to who made the Soviet war factory it is just jaw dropping in its awesomeness.

-Kurorahk-

Guest =NX=VinGummi2

The current building is obviously not finished. There are still a multitude of doors to be added, as well as a lot of nice objects to populate the place. Perhaps a big Romanov banner on the inside wall with a lot more symbolism. If it is possible, we plan to have vehicles raise up through the bottom area (with the railings) up to the top ramp before rolling out of the factory or, in the Kirov's case, floating out of the top. The war factory will compensate more for these larger vehicles, making it pretty epic in scale. We aim to have two weakpoints in the structure. What looks like an MCT in the top "viewing point" area, is the control computer for the consctruction mechanisms, there will then be a supplies cache which contains ammunition and fuel which will be the secondary weakpoint.

You forgot to mention maybe a texture >_>

and yeah could the other "winners" be able to be chosen as icon too it would be great, personally I love the 2nd place most too

but yeah not much surprise other than the icon competition winners, as I was in the video...

Edited by =NX=VinGummi2

Guest M1941

I have to say Im amazed both of my entries placed (even if my name does some how changes to M1A1 at the end :p) though I feel bad I may have kept someone else from getting in there. Congrats to the winner though.

I love the War Factory, that spiral staircase is really quite impressive. Im sure textures will really make it shine.

Anyways Cheers,

-M1941

Guest Srowell3

epic icons there guys. i think i was too busy revising to enter again... yea that seems like a good excuse. cant wait to see the War Factory with textures! :D

Guest Docgrit74

The war factory is very impressive and it's good to see that you took Tanya into consideration when designing it.

Guest K1llZ0ne

Congrats to Xarah and the other winners, altough I actually didn't like the entry that won the 4th place it's nice to see that atleast 1 made trough :D

Not doubting the quality of Xarah's logo or anything, but personally I would have preferred to see the 2nd place "AR" logo to have won. The reason for that is I think that Xarah's is a bit too rustic/subtley coloured and doesn't quite suit ARs bright and colourful style.

Still, congratulations anyway.

Guest v1410nl

Not doubting the quality of Xarah's logo or anything, but personally I would have preferred to see the 2nd place "AR" logo to have won. The reason for that is I think that Xarah's is a bit too rustic/subtley coloured and doesn't quite suit ARs bright and colourful style.

Tbh, I actually I thought quite the same..., if M1941's logo (the 2nd place) is changed a bit, he may win of me :D

Edited by v1410nl

Guest nimbus

I agree. I also prefered the second place logo, but I suppose that just a matter of opinion.

Guest Trevelian

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but i also liked the second one the most >_>. And i would love to see the other entry icons get used, maybe as icons for other things or maybe as posters inside powerplants / warfactorys etc. Don't know a whole lot about the process of putting stuff into the game though so i don't know if it is doable.

Anyway, great blog!1

i agree second place is way cooler ...and no one ansewered my question about the war factoys vehicle construction arms ...i remember seeing a video on them a while back :D

They will animate when the vehicles are being built, but that hasn't been done yet.

I agree. I also prefered the second place logo, but I suppose that just a matter of opinion.

it's been voted on by the staff so that is the primary logo for AR.

However the top 5 will get released as alternate icons, you'll have to set them up yourselves though.

Guest Chad1233

War Factory is cool but needs too be bigger soo we can have extra large epic kirovs! :v Anyways the blog is cool and i loved that vedio xD.

I have to say Im amazed both of my entries placed (even if my name does some how changes to M1A1 at the end :p) though I feel bad I may have kept someone else from getting in there. Congrats to the winner though.

I love the War Factory, that spiral staircase is really quite impressive. I'm sure textures will really make it shine.

Anyways Cheers,

-M1941

Hehe, sorry about the name thing, I've fixed that now. Congrats on making the top 5 twice!

epic icons there guys. i think i was too busy revising to enter again... yea that seems like a good excuse. cant wait to see the War Factory with textures! :)

I think you did enter, but sadly I don't think you made the top 5 :D

*cough* :p

Seriously, it looks really weird, what's it FOR?

It's totally wip, so I'm betting that it was a part of the building that got moved around into the wreong place or something.