RA2:AR FAQ

This post will be updated to contain all of your questions, post a response if there's a question you want answered that isn't currently here.

Note: Only questions that are relevant to release one (radar tech level) will be added to the list.

Q: When are you releasing the game?

A: We haven't set a release date yet, but we are working constantly. Keep reading the blogs to see how we are progressing.

Q: Will the SEAL be able to swim?

A: Not in the first release, but when Tanya and naval units are introduced, then it shall be included. SEAL swimming movement will be different to the sub, it would look terrible to convert him to a VTOL.

Q: Will the chrono miner be able to chrono shift?

A: Yes, danpaul88 has worked out the time shift coding, it's working properly.

Q: Will naval units be seen in the first release?

A: No.

Q: Will Crazy Ivan get any weapons other than his timed bombs?

A: Yes, we're giving ivan a revolver, a combat knife and two types of timed bombs.

Q: Will there be dogs?

A: Not in the first release, but they will be in eventually.

Q: How will the IFV work?

A: The IFV switches turrets just like it did in RA2 but unlike in RA2 you are able to switch back to the rocket turret without getting out. We've defined a deploy key for functions such as this.

Q: Will the GI be able to deploy?

A: Yes the GI can deploy and while deployed he can use his heavy machine gun.

Q: Will engineers be able to capture structures?

A: There are tech structures such as oil derricks around the map that engineers are able to capture but for the sake of balance you wont be able to capture enemy structures.

Q: Will the conscript/GI be the starting infantry class?

A: Yes.

Q: Will it be possible to garrison buildings?

A: Yes, we have a few systems to do this, we have not yet decided which system we will use.

Q: Will tesla troopers be able to power up tesla coils?

A: Tesla troopers can supercharge and even power-up tesla coils when the base power is offline.

Q: Will prism towers fire between each other in maps with more than one prism tower?

A: Yes, the combined light beam from multiple towers also does more damage.

Q: Will there be yuri?

A: Army - No, Soviet infantry - Yes

FAQ cleaned and updated as of: 13/08/2012

Guest Stormweaver

care to shed some light on how the mind controlling by the yuri clone is planned to be implemented?

EDIT: I know it won't be added to the list, but since yuri is mentioned up there *points* I thought I'd ask :p

Edited by Stormweaver

Guest Rufrky

OH yea. Will music tracks from YR be in any of ARs maps? Perhaps drok or brainfreeze etc?

I hope so, because i would love to see Bully Kit be the theme for Bay of Pigs.

Will the Hidden or unimplemented units, Hind, Howitzer, and Chronoprison, be implemented?

And will there be country vs country battles such as Germany VS Russia?

Guest Kakashi

I can tell you that they stated in one of the older blogs that before a round begins a randomizer will choose one of the subcountries for each faction, unlocking the technologies of this subcountry for your team (if the map's tech level is sufficient to produce them).

Will this new secret "fake world box" technology feature in release 1?

Probabaly not, since we aren't including naval transports and moving structures in the first release. (We are counting the dreadnaught and Aircraft Carrier as moving structures).

care to shed some light on how the mind controlling by the yuri clone is planned to be implemented?

EDIT: I know it won't be added to the list, but since yuri is mentioned up there *points* I thought I'd ask :p

Probably through a weapon that instantly spawns an Ai bot in place of where the player was standing. It's still all up in the air.

OH yea. Will music tracks from YR be in any of ARs maps? Perhaps drok or brainfreeze etc?

Yup.

I hope so, because i would love to see Bully Kit be the theme for Bay of Pigs.

Will the Hidden or unimplemented units, Hind, Howitzer, and Chronoprison, be implemented?

And will there be country vs country battles such as Germany VS Russia?

If we get holes in the balance, then these units will be implemented as full featuring units. Otherwise we may make them up as little extras along with President IFV's and secret service people.

As for countries, Kakashi has it correctly. Check through some of the very early blogs for a screenshot of this in action. (Although countries are officially coming in to action in the first RC's patch.

I can tell you that they stated in one of the older blogs that before a round begins a randomizer will choose one of the subcountries for each faction, unlocking the technologies of this subcountry for your team (if the map's tech level is sufficient to produce them).

Guest Stormweaver

Since even the beta is at radar tech, they all should be...I just hope the randomiser is level-based, so you don't end up on a fissure-type map being told you can build tesla tanks :s

How will desolators work? I can see them being much the same as an APB shock trooper with less vech damage, but it's that deploy effect i'm worried about...

ie LOL I'M CAMPING ALL YOUR RESPAWNS WITH GREEN LIGHT OF DEATH

It would make infantry-only maps...unenjoyable if even one guy got in range. plus, team-hampering would be spammed by every n00b who wants to test it out.

Lets see, what else do we have?

Britain: the sniper. I can't see many complaint about this one (well, not from the allied team)

France: Grand cannon. -_> This could be fun

Germany: Tank destroyer. yay, something balanced

Korea: Black eagles. A little less balanced, but who be complaining?

Russia: Tesla tank. Now comes with a 360 degree turrent and dual barrels...*drools*

Cuba: Terrorist. $200 for someone with low armour who has to get near something to kill it....might be a good subterfuge 'boom i'm in your CY lol' unit, but one shot only

Lybia: We all know the demo trucks, now they look cooler. and are cheaper. *drools*

Iraq: Desolater. Hmm...I have my doubts as to it's use (not being able to kill buildings and all)

and we have Americans, who as always have to be a pain in the ass by having a paratrooper thing. Oh well.

>.<

Thankfully, These will all be post beta, yes?

EDIT:

Probably through a weapon that instantly spawns an Ai bot in place of where the player was standing. It's still all up in the air.

/me likes

Edited by Stormweaver

How will desolators work? I can see them being much the same as an APB shock trooper with less vech damage, but it's that deploy effect i'm worried about...

ie LOL I'M CAMPING ALL YOUR RESPAWNS WITH GREEN LIGHT OF DEATH

It would make infantry-only maps...unenjoyable if even one guy got in range. plus, team-hampering would be spammed by every n00b who wants to test it out.

Lets see, what else do we have?

Britain: the sniper. I can't see many complaint about this one (well, not from the allied team)

France: Grand cannon. -_> This could be fun

Germany: Tank destroyer. yay, something balanced

Korea: Black eagles. A little less balanced, but who be complaining?

Russia: Tesla tank. Now comes with a 360 degree turrent and dual barrels...*drools*

Cuba: Terrorist. $200 for someone with low armour who has to get near something to kill it....might be a good subterfuge 'boom i'm in your CY lol' unit, but one shot only

Lybia: We all know the demo trucks, now they look cooler. and are cheaper. *drools*

Iraq: Desolater. Hmm...I have my doubts as to it's use (not being able to kill buildings and all)

and we have Americans, who as always have to be a pain in the ass by having a paratrooper thing. Oh well.

The Desolator can't damage buildings so he is only useful at killing other units. We haven't worked out the deploy function yet but we do have the ability to make radiation, just like in RA2. We'll see how that one plays out.

Everything will be balanced out in some sense, so nothing can be unbalanced. The Black Eagle is essentially a better Harrier, the downside being that the soviets will know that they allies will try to use the Black Eagles more than they would use normal Harriers and, thus construct more flak cannons.

If a map doesn't have a war factory, you won't get given countries that have ground-based vehicle special units.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AdrwIvrsn

I think to solve the desloator problem you might break away slightly from RA2lism. My solution is to make buildings with catwalks on the upper levels like in some of the multiplayer maps of Renegade. Then infantry can shoot the immobile desolator while off the ground. For balance reasons, the Soviets will also have catwalks. It might also create a new way to defend the base in general, since everyone seems to love using the radar dome's ramps.

Now, a problem with the desolator that also needs to be solved is that splash damage leaks inside buildings, which I know is currently being fixed in APB.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest EVA-251

How will spying done and balanced?

Will you have a "weapon" that when targeted on a specific soldier and fired, would transform you to that soldier?

I think you should be able to disguise as a friendly unit as well. What would be better than getting the Soviets chasing a fake Tanya around the map while the real one blows up the War Factory? (or get pwned when you realize disguising as Boris wasn't such a smart idea)

As for the balancing, well, RA2 spies could turn the tide of a battle EASY.

Chrono Commandos, veteran tanks, infantry, money stealing, all of them the sort of things you just didn't want the Allies to have.

Will AR require spies get to specific points in the building and/or do things to the building (similar to Covert Ops and their hacking tool in ET: Quake Wars), or will it be like APB, where effects happen upon entering the building?

Also, will it be possible for us to obtain the vaunted Yuri Prime, with his glorious aircraft-carrier range mind control? (In RA2, it was infiltrate the Allied and Soviet B-Labs)

Lastly, this is likely to be impossible, but could you do something Quake War-ish with the spies? As in the spy adopting the player's name (not in the player listing though) and being perfectly identifiable as a friendly by the Soviets (name is red when looked at close), until the spy fires his sidearm or w/e.

At that point, the name would turn to the original player's, class name would be "Spy" and name color would be blue.

(an aside from this question- I forsee epic desolator spam)

Guest Stormweaver

I think to solve the desloator problem you might break away slightly from RA2lism. My solution is to make buildings with catwalks on the upper levels like in some of the multiplayer maps of Renegade. Then infantry can shoot the immobile desolator while off the ground. For balance reasons, the Soviets will also have catwalks. It might also create a new way to defend the base in general, since everyone seems to love using the radar dome's ramps.

Now, a problem with the desolator that also needs to be solved is that splash damage leaks inside buildings, which I know is currently being fixed in APB.

I love the idea of catwalks/similar roof access on buildings. The only problem there is I doubt it would help vs a desolator, mainly because radiation doesn't just exist in the ground. While RAism might seem to suggest that, remember paratroopers take damage from radiation on the way down :p

By having a range nerf on desolator (compared to epic range in RA2) I'm pretty sure that can be balanced easily. As for splash damage...Radiation gun capable of irradiating whore square miles of land, or penetrate any enemy armour and fry their brain, not to mention even mess up tanks a fair bit...

Radiation gun.

Splash damage through buildings in this case is one of few cases where I'd actually agree with it :p (if it gets splash damage ofc, though i think it should be handled like d a small scale version of it's deploy function, but meh)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Also, it would be helpful if can be made so that no one spawns on a building level with a deployed desolator (that is, if they stick with the RA2listic ground radiation only).

Another question I have is how are they going to make the conscrips and GIs balanced? They were made in RA2 not to be balanced but to fight 2v1.

How will spying done and balanced?

Will you have a "weapon" that when targeted on a specific soldier and fired, would transform you to that soldier?

I think you should be able to disguise as a friendly unit as well. What would be better than getting the Soviets chasing a fake Tanya around the map while the real one blows up the War Factory? (or get pwned when you realize disguising as Boris wasn't such a smart idea)

As for the balancing, well, RA2 spies could turn the tide of a battle EASY.

Chrono Commandos, veteran tanks, infantry, money stealing, all of them the sort of things you just didn't want the Allies to have.

Will AR require spies get to specific points in the building and/or do things to the building (similar to Covert Ops and their hacking tool in ET: Quake Wars), or will it be like APB, where effects happen upon entering the building?

Also, will it be possible for us to obtain the vaunted Yuri Prime, with his glorious aircraft-carrier range mind control? (In RA2, it was infiltrate the Allied and Soviet B-Labs)

Lastly, this is likely to be impossible, but could you do something Quake War-ish with the spies? As in the spy adopting the player's name (not in the player listing though) and being perfectly identifiable as a friendly by the Soviets (name is red when looked at close), until the spy fires his sidearm or w/e.

At that point, the name would turn to the original player's, class name would be "Spy" and name color would be blue.

(an aside from this question- I forsee epic desolator spam)

The spy will work a bit like the APB spy in terms of covertly switching teams, however, he will be equipped with a make-up box or coathanger weapon, with a mighty range, so that he can target enemies and disguise himself. Another possiblility is that he could use this weapon to switch through all of his possible disguises.

There will be a node in each building which the spy must access to reap the benefits.

You'll be able to obtain the hidden units, however Yuri Prime may have to be added as a Secret Lab unit instead of a spy-obtainable unit.

I love the idea of catwalks/similar roof access on buildings. The only problem there is I doubt it would help vs a desolator, mainly because radiation doesn't just exist in the ground. While RAism might seem to suggest that, remember paratroopers take damage from radiation on the way down :p

By having a range nerf on desolator (compared to epic range in RA2) I'm pretty sure that can be balanced easily. As for splash damage...Radiation gun capable of irradiating whore square miles of land, or penetrate any enemy armour and fry their brain, not to mention even mess up tanks a fair bit...

Radiation gun.

Splash damage through buildings in this case is one of few cases where I'd actually agree with it :p (if it gets splash damage ofc, though i think it should be handled like d a small scale version of it's deploy function, but meh)

We may have to limit the range of the desolator's radiation deployment, to make it feasible for other units to attack him.To prevent team hampering, we might have to make it so that the deo gets a special type of radiation that doesn't hurt friendlies. We can;t really answer these questions confidently until it has been tested out properly for balance.

The paratroopers taking rad damage whilst still in the air was an engine bug.

Also, it would be helpful if can be made so that no one spawns on a building level with a deployed desolator (that is, if they stick with the RA2listic ground radiation only).

Another question I have is how are they going to make the conscrips and GIs balanced? They were made in RA2 not to be balanced but to fight 2v1.

Tanya was never supposed to be able to be killed by a single rifle soldier, but you see it happening in APB. Since the element of player skill now plays a part in aiming, these two characters classes should balance each other out. The Conscript's main weapon is better in range and damage than the GI's primary weapon, but the GI's secondary weapon is superior to both of them, the disadvantage being that the GI has to be stationary to use it (although we are allowing limited movement in the sandbags).

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Going with the topic of spys, do you think we should break away form RA2lism again and make them have a useful role in an IFV?

I thought, while in an IFV, he could do two things when the IFV was near the enemy's base: eather be able to listen to PMs or jam Soviet messages entirely, both doing devestating effects to Soviet communcations.

Of course it is obvious to see a Spy IFV in the Soviet team list, but then again spies are also obvious in APB so they still do a similar task. Their presence limits Soviet communication to PMs so that planning takes longer.

(Speaking of IFVs, will the Tesla Trooper IFV be as awsome as in Red Alert 2?)

Going with the topic of spys, do you think we should break away form RA2lism again and make them have a useful role in an IFV?

I thought, while in an IFV, he could do two things when the IFV was near the enemy's base: eather be able to listen to PMs or jam Soviet messages entirely, both doing devestating effects to Soviet communcations.

Of course it is obvious to see a Spy IFV in the Soviet team list, but then again spies are also obvious in APB so they still do a similar task. Their presence limits Soviet communication to PMs so that planning takes longer.

(Speaking of IFVs, will the Tesla Trooper IFV be as awsome as in Red Alert 2?)

Or like a Radar Jammer IFV. That could certainly work.

Watch the blog today for info regarding the Tesla IFV.

Guest Stormweaver

on that subject, to quote myself:

Ingame, spies are going to have the coat-hanger tool/similar, right? Is there a way to, perhaps, have a similar thing for the IFV? granted, seeing an undamaged apoc coming back to base might seem a bit much, but a flak track or even war miner :p might be rather nifty...

Just a thought - after all, with the devastating weapons the Soviet + IFV combos have, IFVs are going to have to be pretty damned worth it to risk having it stolen...

I just don't see an expensive MRJ being worth it, thats all.

Guest ivan55599

-early of this year l asked how "ready" AR was (30%). how ready it is now for 1st release?

-hopefully tesla tank doesnt have minimum range like in APB?

-does kirov have shadow to bomb more accurately?

-any soviet counters vs tanyas and seals? (no mines...)(later yuri?)

-which are better vs infantry: apocalypse's cannons or rockets?

-splash damage for desolator?

btw where previous faq disappeared?

Edited by ivan55599

on that subject, to quote myself:

I just don't see an expensive MRJ being worth it, thats all.

This is also a cool idea, but we'll see how it plays out, since the spy is a way off yet.

-early of this year l asked how "ready" AR was (30%). how ready it is now for 1st release?

-hopefully tesla tank doesnt have minimum range like in APB?

-does kirov have shadow to bomb more accurately?

-any soviet counters vs tanyas and seals? (no mines...)(later yuri?)

-which are better vs infantry: apocalypse's cannons or rockets?

-splash damage for desolator?

btw where previous faq disappeared?

- Once we get the buildings, infantry and weapons done, we should be somewhere near. On the new website bar there will be a progress page, so you can check back on how we are doing.

-Unless you want the lighting bolt clipping through the model, that'll be how it's going to play out, just remember that the IFV is a ton faster than the APB Tesla Tank.

-It should do, yeah. We may put a line on the top of the kirov, so you can see what point the bombs are dropped from.

-Crazy Ivan can counter the SEAL at close range, then the Soviets have Boris to bolster their ranks. On infantry only maps, the Desolator will be very handy to have.

-Cannons, since you can't hit infantry with the rockets. This is not the case with rocketeers though.

-I'll get back to you on that one.

Ask cfehunter where the previous FAQ went :D

-Cannons, since you can't hit infantry with the rockets. This is not the case with rocketeers though.

I would love to hear your plans regarding how to overwrite the Renegade homing missile system so they only home in when aimed at the sky... :D

I don't know if it possible, nor planned but will the tesla tank arc or shoot trough walls?

No, I did some testing a while back and setting gravity on beam type weapons (aka: tesla bolts / prism beams / etc) has no effect. This is hardly surprising, since beam type weapons are basically a point to point weapon, but it was worth a try, Unless we made some kind of ball of tesla energy secondary shot or something that could be lobbed over a wall...

Unless we made some kind of ball of tesla energy secondary shot or something that could be lobbed over a wall...

I always wondered why tesla weaponry in APB wasn't just an invisible object and its trail was just animated to look like electricity. Just add gravity and you have arcing tesla weaponry for AR, and you don't get 'ZomgTooManyPolysMakeStraightLineInstead' syndrome.

If the projectile speed is very damn fast, and the particle trail lifetime only a second, then you would get the same overall effect as now, but the 'beam' would look different (better?)

Well actually im sure the tesla beam code was much easier to do, but it feels kinda old now.

Guest Stormweaver

I always wondered why tesla weaponry in APB wasn't just an invisible object and its trail was just animated to look like electricity. Just add gravity and you have arcing tesla weaponry for AR, and you don't get 'ZomgTooManyPolysMakeStraightLineInstead' syndrome.

...This is actually a really good idea...

Just needs to be created/tested :p

I would love to hear your plans regarding how to overwrite the Renegade homing missile system so they only home in when aimed at the sky... :D

Rigging that limits trajectory and high velocity missiles.

Rigging that limits trajectory and high velocity missiles.

Still doesn't stop them shooting the ground if the vehicle is on a hill, since you can artificially make the trajectory lower that way. And it also creates blind spots if the rocketeer is so close to the apoc that the super fast missiles cant turn around fast enough to shoot it, but it's below the minimum angle of the barrels.

Guest ivan55599

-Kirovs make damage to friendly units/strucktures by bombing/falling over?

-air force headguarters is count as radar? if so, allied aircraft is limited maps where Soviets also get radar?

Still doesn't stop them shooting the ground if the vehicle is on a hill, since you can artificially make the trajectory lower that way. And it also creates blind spots if the rocketeer is so close to the apoc that the super fast missiles cant turn around fast enough to shoot it, but it's below the minimum angle of the barrels.

Blah, I guess we'll have to test it out a bit then...

-Kirovs make damage to friendly units/strucktures by bombing/falling over?

-air force headguarters is count as radar? if so, allied aircraft is limited maps where Soviets also get radar?

-Only if friendly fire is turned on.

-Yes, unless it's a special condition objective-based map.

Guest Stormweaver

I can't see anything wrong with multiple maps having radar...after all, the beta's being released at radar tech level, right? :p

How awesome are terror drones going to be?

Edited by Stormweaver