RA2:AR FAQ

Guest Cyberslas

Will aerial vehicles just explode when destroyed in the air, or do they come crashing down to earth (I think that would be cool :D) when destroyed like in RA2, damaging what they hit?

Will aerial vehicles just explode when destroyed in the air, or do they come crashing down to earth (I think that would be cool :)) when destroyed like in RA2, damaging what they hit?

I think the Kirov falling down and spinning in the air will be in (although that is RC2 stuff), but the Harrier doing a BARREL ROLL when dead, we still haven't found a way to do it. There's always something making it look weird or engine limitations :D

IF people started complaining abt GI and conscript imbalance , is it possible to make the allies spawn with a GI that doesnt have sandbag capability, and they would have to buy an identical GI for like 75 creds that has the sandbag ability?

Guest Xiphias6

lolbarrelroll.

Perhaps when Harriers/BEs are dead or something, they'd turn to one side or something and begin to fall nose-first vertically :D Maybe let them fall like in-game without the barrel rolling and just a slight yaw/pitch.

Hmm...

I can see the possibility of infantry crouching under the Pillbox's sandbags, under the machine gun's field of fire, being invincible... (I think it's me but I see an allied soldier inside the pillbox, in the stock cameo)

pillicon%200000.jpeg

Will Sentry guns tilt their entire turret up and down on elevation? Will they try to shoot rocketeers? O.o

I can't see anything wrong with multiple maps having radar...after all, the beta's being released at radar tech level, right? :p

How awesome are terror drones going to be?

Yup pretty much and terror drones will be awesome.

IF people started complaining abt GI and conscript imbalance , is it possible to make the allies spawn with a GI that doesnt have sandbag capability, and they would have to buy an identical GI for like 75 creds that has the sandbag ability?

That wouldn't be true to RA2 in the most basic sense. Although it is logical in some aspects, the downside is that the conscript would be better than this "basic GI", as in RA2 conscripts were better than undeployed GI's.

I can see the possibility of infantry crouching under the Pillbox's sandbags, under the machine gun's field of fire, being invincible... (I think it's me but I see an allied soldier inside the pillbox, in the stock cameo)

pillicon%200000.jpeg

Will Sentry guns tilt their entire turret up and down on elevation? Will they try to shoot rocketeers? O.o

Soviet infantry won't be able to get close enough to the pillbox to be able to hide under the field of fire. The pillbox would get them regardless, since it is quite low down in the ground.

The cameo looks to have a guy in the pillbox, but we changed it to an autoturret because of engine limitations. Also people would get pissed off at the fact that they couldn't kill the pillbox gunner.

The sentry gun will still be a ground only base defence, but if rocketeers land near it then expect them to fire back.

Guest sadukar09

That wouldn't be true to RA2 in the most basic sense. Although it is logical in some aspects, the downside is that the conscript would be better than this "basic GI", as in RA2 conscripts were better than undeployed GI's.

Mainly because GI's had no armour type, while Conscripts had "flak" armour, which is decent against bullets, perhaps give the "standard" GI a bit higher armour to compensate?

Mainly because GI's had no armour type, while Conscripts had "flak" armour, which is decent against bullets, perhaps give the "standard" GI a bit higher armour to compensate?

To my knowledge they want that to remain that way. A conscript beats an undeployed GI most of the time, and a deployed GI beats a conscript the majority of the time. I don't see whats wrong with that, seeing as in how the GI when deployed is dead meat against anything in pairs or more.

Guest Stormweaver

some how I think the restricted movement of the GI will balance it out.

agreed - in APB, the only reasons officers can tear apart rifles in groups is the long-rage and high rate of fire of thier gun, combined with the fact it's hard to get close enough to get a few solid headshots in before you get shredded.

A deployed GI, while still having superior firepower and range (not to mention an armour boost if i remember right) is going to be very limited in movement, as so any n00b who can work the 'V' button could probably manage to kill the GI once within range.

Maybe the 'turning speed' of the deployed GI's 'turret' could be slowed a little, if it seems they are overpowered?

Guest GummiBear

If i remeber correctly a fully promoted GI can rip anything to pieces in RA2 and if you have more than 5 together its one of the best ground to ground defences.

but you have to kill a lot before you get fully promoted...

If i remeber correctly a fully promoted GI can rip anything to pieces in RA2 and if you have more than 5 together its one of the best ground to ground defences.

Yeah, that works perfectly... until the V3 comes along and blows all of them in one shot :p.

The GI is strong against infantry when deployed (and even more so when fully promoted), and when defending a position in the field they probably have the advantage over the Conscript. However the Consript has a distinct advantage in other situations, i.e. in buildings where the bigger clip and the better damage output make him stronger than the undeployed GI (as the GI can't deploy in buildings if I got that right).

Guest Stormweaver

Yeah, that works perfectly... until the V3 comes along and blows all of them in one shot :p.

The GI is strong against infantry when deployed (and even more so when fully promoted), and when defending a position in the field they probably have the advantage over the Conscript. However the Consript has a distinct advantage in other situations, i.e. in buildings where the bigger clip and the better damage output make him stronger than the undeployed GI (as the GI can't deploy in buildings if I got that right).

I never knew there was a notable difference in garrisoned buildings tbh...'cept initiates. they pwned...shame they won't be in AR (for a loooong, looong time)

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Sorry to change the subject, but I'm wondering if the GIs are able to stack their sandbags and create guard towers. If so, that would be a bad bug exploit since what I guess what the engine would allow is:

1. GI deploys

2. Another GI stands on sandbags and deploys

3. Another GI jumps the steps and deploys on the top of the uppermost GI's sandbags

4. Keep repeating step 3

5. Last GI deploys on top of the tower

And they might go on to step 6:

6. Every GI under the top GI undeploys, now you got a floating deployed GI

Although tanks will easily kill him, I imagine it would be a nightmare for aircraft and infantry only maps, especially aircraft if the process is done with Guardian GIs.

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

Guest Stormweaver

Sorry to change the subject, but I'm wondering if the GIs are able to stack their sandbags and create guard towers. If so, that would be a bad bug exploit since what I guess what the engine would allow is:

1. GI deploys

3. Another GI jumps the steps and deploys on the top of the uppermost GI's sandbags

4. Keep repeating step 3

Although tanks will easily kill him, I imagine it would be a nightmare for aircraft and infantry only maps, especially aircraft if the process is done with Guardian GIs.

that would be so incredibly lol.

1. GI deploys

4. Keep repeating step 3

They can currently do this, but it will be fixed before release. So there will be no more sandbag pyramids.

when we see next video about units? :)

When I get round to making one :D

(couldnt edit previous message, thats why new post)

l have suggestion: you would make migs buildable for some unofficial server

That would be up to the server owner. We may setup a player controlled mig and leave it in the editor for you guys or something like that.

Guest ivan55599

crazy ivan is in first release?

idea: to make combat knife more useful, it's hit would make effect, that slowers enemy speed

edit: ivan can get promoted?

crazy ivan is in first release?

idea: to make combat knife more useful, it's hit would make effect, that slowers enemy speed

Yes, however the knife will probably kill the enemy before that effect has a chance to kick in.

edit: ivan can get promoted?

Yes, like every other infantry.

edit of edit mrrrrh:

does ivan and/or conscript & flakker models have beard(and eyepatch for ivan)?

The conscript wears a full-face helmet but the Flak Trooper may have a beard. It all depends on who's face I scan into the game. The eyepatch may make an appearance.

Guest HYBRID BEING

-How infantry would get into Kirov? Rope-ladder? It will land without units? oO

-Are non-human creatures (dogs, dolphins, squids,...) still not targeted by Yuri?

-A little idea for Yuri. He mind controls enemy (enemy player dies, npc created). NPC follows Yuri. Yiri gets into safety and player manualy switches from Yuri to this unit. Thus you can manualy control a spy (for example) playing for Soviets.

~Little offtop: any thougths about YR shooter? :D

-How infantry would get into Kirov? Rope-ladder? It will land without units? oO

-Are non-human creatures (dogs, dolphins, squids,...) still not targeted by Yuri?

-A little idea for Yuri. He mind controls enemy (enemy player dies, npc created). NPC follows Yuri. Yiri gets into safety and player manualy switches from Yuri to this unit. Thus you can manualy control a spy (for example) playing for Soviets.

~Little offtop: any thougths about YR shooter? :D

-It will land for you to get in.

-Yeah, however it was in RA2.

-We'd thought about the NPC thing, but the toggle switch could be a nice touch.

~Time will tell.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

I'm still a little concerned of Yuri. In Red Alert 2, he was meant to be countered with spams of fast moving vehicles that would chase him down, and he can only defend himself by mind controlling one of the many vehicles.

However, AR will only allow a certain amount of players on each team, so there is no way you can do this. Also, it completely ruins the fun of AR. For example, imagine an Allied player steals an Apocalypse Tank. However, a Flak Track comes and Yuri mind controls the hard earned Apoc and flees with the Flak track. He then camps in the Soviet base until the Allies are forced to destroy the Apoc. Last, Yuri was suppost to be the hero unit of RA2 until he split in Yuri's Revenge, so Boris took his place and made up for the lack of his technology. But having Boris and Yuri for the Soviets in AR, not only is that a very misplaced canonical error, but that makes the Soviets have two heroes vs. the one Tanya.

To make this into a question, how will Yuri be dealt with?

I'm still a little concerned of Yuri. In Red Alert 2, he was meant to be countered with spams of fast moving vehicles that would chase him down, and he can only defend himself by mind controlling one of the many vehicles.

However, AR will only allow a certain amount of players on each team, so there is no way you can do this. Also, it completely ruins the fun of AR. For example, imagine an Allied player steals an Apocalypse Tank. However, a Flak Track comes and Yuri mind controls the hard earned Apoc and flees with the Flak track. He then camps in the Soviet base until the Allies are forced to destroy the Apoc. Last, Yuri was suppost to be the hero unit of RA2 until he split in Yuri's Revenge, so Boris took his place and made up for the lack of his technology. But having Boris and Yuri for the Soviets in AR, not only is that a very misplaced canonical error, but that makes the Soviets have two heroes vs. the one Tanya.

To make this into a question, how will Yuri be dealt with?

You can't really talk about how fun AR is or how balanced it will be until you actually play it. If the Allied Apocalypse Tank doesn't have backup with it then that's tough. Usually the player would have destroyed the flak track before it even got within range of Yuri being effective. If you think mind control is going to be an instant pointlolclickcontrol thing, you are mistaken. If you have two tanks, or even two infantry vs one Yuri, Yuri is going to be at a disadvantage.

A misplaced canonical error? You don't think that Boris was somewhere in RA2 and that he just magically appeared in YR? We have stated many times that AR takes place at the tail end of RA2, when the Soviets get their new technology such as battle bunkers and siege choppers, but they still have Yuri around.

Yuri also wasn't a hero unit in RA2. Why? You could build more than one of him. You could only ever build one Tanya in RA2. Yuri Prime was the other Hero unit in RA2, but he required so much hassle to get (playing as soviets, build an allied spy and send him into a soviet battle lab) that it wasn't even worth it in the end.

Guest Allie29

Yuri also wasn't a hero unit in RA2. Why? You could build more than one of him. You could only ever build one Tanya in RA2. Yuri Prime was the other Hero unit in RA2, but he required so much hassle to get (playing as soviets, build an allied spy and send him into a soviet battle lab) that it wasn't even worth it in the end.

Actually, if I remember right you could train multiple Tanyas due to the fact that SEALs were SP only until YR.