Blog 151 (25/09/09)

Welcome to this week's blog guys.

Little late again I know, but we have been struggling for content lately as everyone re-enters education.

Anyway lets get down to business.

<h3>Installer</h3>

Tankmaster has been working on replicating the rA2 installer for use in AR upon release. I must say, he has done a perfect job with porting over the RA2 assets to form this piece of awesome. We will eventually be replacing the renders of the RA2 units with our own selection, but for now we'll keep with what we have.

Oh, and if anyone has concerns over the installer taking ages to install, don't worry. Tankmaster is going to code in a quick install button.

Take a look at the images below.

Installer1-1.png

Installer2-1.pngInstaller3-1.png

<h3>Refinery</h3>

dtrngd has been fixing up the refinery and has now gotten the first concept into game. The basement hasn't been connected up yet, but it is soon to follow. We have opened up an entrance in the front of the structure so that it can now be accessed from both sides. This is a welcome change to the old version, which only had doors on the back. Bye bye campers!

Here are the first ingame shots of this work in progress.

SovRefInGame1-1.pngSovRefInGame2-1.png

<h3>A Populated Barracks</h3>

dtrngd has also been putting the new purchase terminals and repair nodes into the Allied Barracks. This is essentially what the structure will look like when you guys get your hands on it, when AR is released on

[Date Removed].

Take a look below!

abarrshot-1.pngrn_inbarr-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

So I kind of hurt my foot.... But other than that, everything is cool!

cfehunter had a cold but has managed to shake it off now.

dtrngd has been refining the refinery. (See what I did there?)

danpaul88 has been checking scripts 4.0 over for potential compatibility problems.

TheBeerinator has been thinking about making some Soviet Purchase Terminals.

The rest of the team has been lingering around the internal forums.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the forseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competant at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

COLD FEAR IS THE BEST GAME OF 2005!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Tadargh</h3>

It's the Blargh!

That installer is going to be awesome, the Refinery just looks so much more awesome and now with a front door!!!! The Barracks is looking a lot better now there proper Repair Nodes and Purchase Terminals are in.

And ouch, I hope your foot gets better soon mate.

Awesome blog guys!

Edited by TeamWolf

Guest AdrwIvrsn

With the installer, is there some things you plan to make it a little different from the RA2 one, so people can tell the difference and add in a bit of creativity? I can imagine you could show off AR's models in comparison to the in-game voxels, and perhaps show your own faces and stories as the history briefing part.

And I sense a WTF Boom! coming to our random corner very soon. Will it be supplied by Tanya? :D

Edit: I also hope a speedy recovery of your foot. We don't want you to die on us!

Edit 2: Oh right, we already had a WTF Boom. Do it again!

Edited by AdrwIvrsn

First, good blog. Going to have to agree with TruYuri, and the Refinery looks great ingame, even lacking a texture!

The installer is brilliant as well.

If anything, you guys should spoof the original schematics with your own models :D

Guest GummiBear

Ouch hope your foot get better sooner owa

Otherwise blog is awesome, love that installer very well done

Ore Refinery looks cool, as does the PT's and rep nodes in the bar

Good blog, even with a lack of content and being late. I was thinking about joining as a texture artist, but I don't think I can reach the level of awesome TheBeerinator has attained.

With the installer, is there some things you plan to make it a little different from the RA2 one, so people can tell the difference and add in a bit of creativity? I can imagine you could show off AR's models in comparison to the in-game voxels, and perhaps show your own faces and stories as the history briefing part.

Well... my installer takes about 2 minutes to install the current alpha version of AR, so it would have to be REALLY quick xD

And I sense a WTF Boom! coming to our random corner very soon. Will it be supplied by Tanya? :D

Edit: I also hope a speedy recovery of your foot. We don't want you to die on us!

Edit 2: Oh right, we already had a WTF Boom. Do it again!

First, good blog. Going to have to agree with TruYuri, and the Refinery looks great ingame, even lacking a texture!

The installer is brilliant as well.

If anything, you guys should spoof the original schematics with your own models :)

Well... my installer takes about 2 minutes to install the current alpha version of AR, so it would have to be REALLY quick xD

Perhaps making our own cinematics? But that just takes too long and yeah why bother holding up the installation just for eye candy.

Read.

We will eventually be replacing the renders of the RA2 units with our own selection, but for now we'll keep with what we have.

Oh, and if anyone has concerns over the installer taking ages to install, don't worry. Tankmaster is going to code in a quick install button.

Guest Occult13

So.... your going to make the normal install method deliberatly take longer just so you can show pretty pictures? That seems.... stupid :S

I don't know about pictures, but the idea of having some kind of background video showing units and ingame combats would be epic; make it last around 2 minutes and it should be fine enough I think.

So.... your going to make the normal install method deliberatly take longer just so you can show pretty pictures? That seems.... stupid :S

Not stupid at all. It's a good way to introduce new players to the game universe. In fact, it's also a good opportunity to slide in some pre-play tutorial content, such as unit and structure functions, and maybe tips on a few basic tactics.

N00bs are stupid and don't read manuals. This is a way to spoon-feed them some of the basics.

You mean like when you show the Crazy Ivan in the installer, have big letters next to it: "WARNING! CARRIES EXPLOSIVES, BLOWS UP AND KILLS TEAMMATES UPON DEATH." ? :D

Maybe...

Not stupid at all. It's a good way to introduce new players to the game universe. In fact, it's also a good opportunity to slide in some pre-play tutorial content, such as unit and structure functions, and maybe tips on a few basic tactics.

"Tip: Repeatedly strafe around a building, shooting at it regardless of it being repaired or not- remember, your goal is to attack buildings, not fight enemy tanks! This is called pointwhoring."

Edited by EVA-251

N00bs are stupid and don't read manuals. This is a way to spoon-feed them some of the basics.

I barely read the manuals, i just get up and go. I ussually can pick up on something very quickly. :D

I like the Installer idea, i always liked the RA2's installer images and prolouge it set the mood of the game.

Guest Trevelian

Ouch! I hope you recover from that foot injury swiftly OWA, it looks rather nasty =(. I just wanted to say that having the installer be all RA2-ish makes me wanna cry tears of nostalgia. Just seeing the pictures takes me back to the first time i installed Red Alert 2... ahh... such happy days.

Guest Occult13

Just so I can get my memory straight, wasn't the RA2 installer also intentionally slow, so they could show off their awsome slide show?

If you put the cool OWA voice talking while the installer goes on, I'd keep it to even 10 minutes :D

Guest BigCheese256

Just so I can get my memory straight, wasn't the RA2 installer also intentionally slow, so they could show off their awsome slide show?

That is true. The RA2 installer takes no where near that amount of time to install. They just kept the installer going until the slideshow finished.

AR should do that as well.

If you put the cool OWA voice talking while the installer goes on, I'd keep it to even 10 minutes :)

Nou, just take the speech used in the RA2 installer :D