Blog 154 (16/10/09)

Heya guys, sorry we are a little late here. As you've probably learnt by now, my attention span isn't overly effective. So I kind of was taken away from my computer to go do various things over the course of the day. however, I'll stop making silly excuses and deliver you some informations.

<h3>Ivan's Revolver Texture</h3>

Guy with a wrench has been texturing the Soviet MP-412 Rex Revolver and it's looking pretty sharp. TheBeerinator helped with some advice and several iterations were made. This is looking to be fairly close to the finished product now.

This weapon will be given to Crazy Ivan, as he is seen with a revolver in the concept art. Apocalypse Rising probably has the most handguns of any w3d based game out there; making 6 in total! The 6 are:

1. Allied Beretta (General Issue)
  2. Soviet Tokarev TT-33 (General Issue)
  3. Soviet MP412 Rex (Ivan's Sidearm)
  4. Colt M1911 (Tanya's Main Weapon)
  5. Walther PPK (The Spy's Sidearm)
  6. S4M Silent Pistol (Terrorist's Sidearm)

Here are some images!

revolvertex1-1.jpgrevolvertex2-1.jpg

<h3>Structure Scaling From An RA2 Perspective</h3>

dtrngd has been slowly scaling each building he makes in an RA2 perspective. This helps us to get as close to RA2's scaling as possible in the w3d engine. Obviously, infantry and vehicles will follow Renegade's scaling, but with structures it's a different story.

Hopefully those RA2 modders amongst you will appreciate what we have done here. Take a look below.

building_arsenal.png

<h3>Garrison Logic</h3>

So we had a talk about how garrisoning should work, since our old method was needlessly complicated and terribly unclear.

Basically, if you want garrison a structure in AR, you'll walk up to the door and hit "e". Structures are now going to be rigged up as static vehicles, which means we can set a limit to how many people can enter a structure, properly do destruction animations, easily control firing out of the structure and make the structure vulnerable to C4 all without dirty dirty hacks.

This will make garrisoning a more attractive concept for those stranded out in the field. however, this does not mean that you can get a sniper and camp the buildings. Seeing as snipers and other infantry bar the basics could not enter buildings in RA2, this is what we should follow. But we aren't going to do that. Instead, any infantry class can garrison a structure, but they will be provided with the default "garrison machine gun", making scope sniping from structures impossible. We want to stay true to our source material.

With this new system, buildings won't need interiors, making them quicker to produce on our part. Good news eh.

Anyway, we'll get more news to you guys on this as it unfolds. It's really going to affect the gameplay in a positive way, bringing infantry back into the fray in urban situations. Stay tuned.

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been learning how to animate, texture and model faces. It's so awesome!

cfehunter hasn't been round in a while, I think I may drop in on him tomorrow or something.

dtrngd has started work on the soviet radar. He is a busy guy these days though D:

TheBeerinator has started on some Soviet PT's. They look a lot more different compared to the Allied ones.

Poggel has been modelling up the Tokarev. Look for it in future blogs!

ChAoS has been keeping up with the news in Lord_Kane's abscence. Give him a thanks if you see him guys because he is really one of the unsung heroes of AR.

The next test build of Apocalypse Rising will hopefully be playable for the first time. We are getting serious (like Terry Bogard) about gearing up for the first release build and will be removing the units that aren't supposed to be there for the first build (Apocalypse Tank, Mirage Tank) because as nice as they may be, it doesn't help when we are trying to focus on different units.

Hopefully we should have something worth playing for the new testers. You read right :D

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>Testers!</h4>

That's right! We are now looking for testers again!

If you are interested in testing unreleased versions of Apocalypse Rising and A Path Beyond for balance, bugs and other issues, send a private message to Chronojam with the following information. You don't need to be overly fancy. We need people with crappy systems, good systems, great aim, and crappy aim, so don't let the questions discourage you. Make the subject line something about BHP Testing please, so it's easy to find. If you have tested before or volunteered but were not chosen, you can certainly re-apply at this time.

• In-game Username
  • Time Availability
    -Timezone & usual hours
    -Days you can help
  • Hardware
    -Video card
    -RAM
    -Resolution
  • Describe your skill at APB
    -What versions you've played
  • Reason you want to test

Deadpikle is the lead tester, so he'll be organising the successful applicants and will make sure you guys know what you're doing. There is no limits or anything on who can apply; so if you are interested, get in touch! :)

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

<h4>3d Model Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in either a 2d or 3d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures or 3d models in 3d Studio Max/Maya.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures or models, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Bison just got vocoded!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>This is delicious!</h3>

Yeeeeeeeeeeesss!

Guest HYBRID BEING

No indoor fighting?! :) Not good! Or will there be separate garrisonable and walkable buildings? If so, i'm ok with that :)

What are bugging me are engineers. If Buildings will be rigged as vehicles then he won't be able to repair them without some changes. But i'm sure you already thought about that :D

No indoor fighting?! :) Not good! Or will there be separate garrisonable and walkable buildings? If so, i'm ok with that :)

What are bugging me are engineers. If Buildings will be rigged as vehicles then he won't be able to repair them without some changes. But i'm sure you already thought about that :D

There will hopefully be a mix.

Engineers can repair buildings rigged as vehicles with changes to the armour.ini

Guest GummiBear

Nice way to do the garrison, though is it possible with this vehicle logic really to have every single player shoot in the direction he/she chooses or will one person control all the guns from all the players?

Also love that Ivan pistol

Edited by GummiBear

With these huge interiors we have at the base buildings, I seriously doubt you'll miss indoor fights :)

That revolver is just awesome, very nice work there. The building just look epic all together and I love how you are making them all true to the RA2 size as much as possible!

Great blog guys, keep it up!

Guest Occult13

The garrison system is pretty neat. I guess you're going for a multiple-turret static vehicle with 360º rotatory guns.

The revolver is looking beautiful. Guy with a spanner (:D) is doing a great job.

And the buildings... what can I say about dtrngd? He's the buildingman!

Keep up the good work :3

Guest psych787

Testers aren't either for AR or APB; they're for all BHP games. Guess you knew that :p

No, I forgot. Please regard the second letter as a sign of enthusiasm.xD

Edited by psych787

Guest tfkillzone

I wish i had the time to even apply... or the ability lol, the school i go to has something against people using their network to play online games... that's why I haven't been on APB in like a month...

Guest EVA-251

Ha, I never noticed that the Revolver was an export version.

The REX even means "Rrevolver, for export.

Amazing job nonetheless.

And I am really, really liking those buildings. Perfect scale, almost spot-on to the originals as well.

Edited by EVA-251

That pic is epic. The scaling is epic as well. :D

Looks almost exactly like RA2! :)

(/me hugs Dtrngd for epicness)

<3

I think I may have accidentally sent my application twice...but it didn't show up in sent items...stupid internet. :/

It will only show up in the sent items if you ask it to save a copy to the sent mail!

Guest BaneOfSorrows

It will only show up in the sent items if you ask it to save a copy to the sent mail!

Dang, guess I sent two then. Sorry Chronojam. >.>

Guest BaneOfSorrows

I signed up for tester, haven't recieved a pm back tho, hope my message wasn't lost.

This is always my fear when I send a pm for some odd reason. Ah well. :D