Blog 161 (03/12/09)

Welcome to this week's blog. The wheels of last week are still in motion and lots of great stuff is happening. Let's me show you what the great stuff I'm referring to is!

<h3>Para Dropping</h3>

So, one of the features that we haven't really touched upon in a while is how we are physically going to handle para dropping. danpaul88 has fixed up his old script and recorded a video for you guys to check out.

Currently the allies can para drop by poking a terminal, but this will be changed as the radar structures and tech airport are brought into game. My initial plan was to have a para-troop queue, in which players could meet at a set location and para drop if they were a basic infantry character. But seeing as we have the potential to do so much more now with scripts 4.0, we are thinking of new ways to accomplish the organisation of a paradrop, perhaps with an overlay or keyhook. We'll see how it plays out, but rest assured; we'll get a functional and useful para drop logic implemented into the first AR patch (if not before).

Take a look at the video showing how far we've gotten with the para drop logic so far. The final implementation will be far superior to this early test.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></object>

Chocks away!</center>

<h3>New IFV Rocket Turret</h3>

dtrngd has been working on getting the IFV's ready for unwrapping. Whilst he was doing this, he had a go at modelling his own rocket turret for the basic rocket IFV. We thought it was so much more RA2-alistic than the old one, so we have formally adopted it as the new IFV Rocket Turret. We shall probably update the Patriot Missiles in light of this.

Next on dtrngd's list is the Machine Gun IFV, which should end up awesome. It pays a small homage to a certain tabletop game that is enjoyed by many people worldwide, so watch out for that one soon!

ifv_rocket2-1.png

The New Rocket IFV, ready to tear it up!

<h3>Soviet Walls</h3>

After looking at our soviet wall model, Occult saw it fit to go and remake it before he started unwrapping.

This is the model of the soviet walls that you will see ingame. Occult has also made it easier for mappers by splitting the walls up into pieces, meaning that sections of wall can be placed really easily and custom wall layouts are really easy to do!

Check out the new model!

SovietWalls-1.png

Keeping engineers out since September 28th, 2000.

<h3>Finished Pliers</h3>

cfehunter has completed the texture on the Allied Pliers and they are now heading in to be rigged. I talked about this weapon a lot last week, so I'll cut straight to the chase. (Haha, cut! See what I did there?)

pliers-1.png

So if I cut this red wir- KABOOM!

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've just completed unwrapping the War Miner and I am hoping to start texturing pretty soon!

cfehunter is unwrpaping the spectre.

dtrngd is working on the IFV's

danpaul88 is fixin' stuff under the bonnet.

Occult is mapping and modelling.

The rest of the team are doing their thing.

<h3>We're Looking For...</h3>

We are looking for extra staff members to join our ranks!

At the moment we are looking for:

<h4>2d Artists</h4>

What we are looking for in a 2d artist, is someone who:

• is enthusiastic about working with the BHP Apocalypse Rising Team.
  • has spare time.
  • will be active in the foreseeable future (a.k.a we don't want you running off).
  • is competent at creating their own 2d textures.
  • is over the age of 16 (we overlook this if you are what we assess to be a mature individual. This rule is known as the TruYuri rule).

PM me with your application stating why you would like to join the team along with any past experience. Please provide example textures, if you have any.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

It's Red Alert 2 all over again!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Also as a random bonus, here's a picture of me with a laptop on my head, courtesy of Westy543.

keyboard-1.png

Starring:

TruYuri as tehsux

Westy543 as Himself

TheBeerinator as ARSUX

and Killboy06 as Moo

<h3>Golly gosh it's rather late at this time of posting!</h3>

Time to dash off methinks. Toodle pip!

Guest HYBRID BEING

Great stuff.

Paradrop is awesome.

IFV is good, but are there no closing things on the turret? It seems to me, there are.

Wall is missing the wire.

And the video in random corner is nowhere as good as the intro itself. The expressions are indispensable. And the Premier's part was a shame. He sounded and looked more like a Stalin.

Guest Occult13

Well, I feel like the render of the soviet walls are a bit out-dated. Here's a little sneak peek of the current one, which is even closer to the original concept:

post-5426-1259851910.png

PD: The wire is still to be added, we're still thinking of how to add it.

Guest EVA-251

Good stuff. Although I am kinda disappointed you traded off the cameo/render IFV missiles for the ingame voxel ones, they look great and that more than makes up for it.

As for the walls, they look good and the concept of usage sounds interesting.

Will they be used like in RA2, with corner pieces, several variants to make the continuous walls look less boring? (except of course, supporting angled placement)

Guest Occult13

Good stuff. Although I am kinda disappointed you traded off the cameo/render IFV missiles for the ingame voxel ones, they look great and that more than makes up for it.

As for the walls, they look good and the concept of usage sounds interesting.

Will they be used like in RA2, with corner pieces, several variants to make the continuous walls look less boring? (except of course, supporting angled placement)

If we can make a couple of texture variants for the wall sections, we'll do it for sure. But we want to maintain a good balance between quality and performance, so we'll see.

As for angled placement, you can do that in LE anyways. I've also left a little "in case of bad placement" face for each segment so you don't have to care that much about it being perfectly lined up in LE. However, in 3ds, setting up walls is always a ton easier for obvious reasons. Although probably, we'll make different sections like corner, long wall section, etc, for easier placing tasks :D

We won't forget about you, LEusers, out there.

Guest Xiphias6

You know OWA, I was thinking of the Paradrop as having an airfield with the C-130 which has a fake worldbox in it and people'll have to board the plane, which takes off(scripted? :D) at (ir)regular intervals and people have to manually jump off the plane or get returned to base (or the plane gets flaked down) :) But yeah, I like the looks of the poke. Also, epic IFV. Go dtr!

You know OWA, I was thinking of the Paradrop as having an airfield with the C-130 which has a fake worldbox in it and people'll have to board the plane, which takes off(scripted? :D) at (ir)regular intervals and people have to manually jump off the plane or get returned to base (or the plane gets flaked down) :) But yeah, I like the looks of the poke. Also, epic IFV. Go dtr!

If this were to happen, you would have to drive to the airfield. This would mean a lot of dumped vehicles next to that airfield.

Guest ganein14

If this were to happen, you would have to drive to the airfield. This would mean a lot of dumped vehicles next to that airfield.

Maybe we could have a killzone that would emit a 'pulse' that would kill all empty vechs near the airfield, just so that there would be no empty vechs. Could that idea work? :D

Guest Occult13

Again, if the idea of the airfield was to be done, it'd mean that all maps would need their terrain expanded in order to make it be realistic; we don't want to drop and on our way down, see through the hills and stuff. Do we?

Guest MartinMb
Next on dtrngd's list is the Machine Gun IFV, which should end up awesome. It pays a small homage to a certain tabletop game that is enjoyed by many people worldwide, so watch out for that one soon!

OMG a Heavy Bolter IVF ? :D

Epic blog !!! The new Soviet walls are awesome !

Guest Xiphias6

I'm sure the Nighthawk is Radar tech, no? :D

To combat this problem, the Allies have installed Chronoshift points from their forward bases to airbases behind the line. :D

Guest AdrwIvrsn

IFV is good, but are there no closing things on the turret?

It could be a case where rigging the laincher to have each individual hatch open is difficult or impossible, but I hope not. Such launchers in real life use cloth to cover the launcher, but again, you would need to make it so rips appear in each launcher one-by-one

But I will also say that the missile looks way too small for the launcher, and looks more like a flechette than a missile. I recommend increasing the diameter by 2x-2.5x and giving the missile square fins, with a set in the center and another set in the back, And a dome shaped nose rather than a cone shape.

But I will also say that the missile looks way too small for the launcher, and looks more like a flechette than a missile. I recommend increasing the diameter by 2x-2.5x and giving the missile square fins, with a set in the center and another set in the back, And a dome shaped nose rather than a cone shape.

Ironically I originally named the warhead type for the IFV rocket as 'Rocket_Flechette'...

Ah, I was wondering why I was getting Trillian IMs but no windows were showing up.

Stuff's looking good, guys.

I didnt even realise they were in the video, when I was checking it I still had Trillian open and people talking to me all the time so I didnt even notice the extra sounds from the video :p FYI: I am 90% certain the ones on that video were from dtrngd talking to me when I was busy testing stuff as he always does :p

I didnt even realise they were in the video, when I was checking it I still had Trillian open and people talking to me all the time so I didnt even notice the extra sounds from the video :p FYI: I am 90% certain the ones on that video were from dtrngd talking to me when I was busy testing stuff as he always does :p

Maybe if you'd message me about that? I'm not supposed to know you're making a video when I say something at x time and I still have no reply from you x+7 hours later...