Blog 172 (22/02/10)

Heya guys. This one is late due to a lack of content, but Guy with a wrench saved the day just recently!

Have fun reading.

<h3>Prism Tower</h3>

Guy with a wrench has finished texturing the allied Prism Tower! Using a mix of his textures and TheBeerinator's, he's made a texture which fits nicely into the style we're going for. The tower's mirrors will need some shader effects applied and then all should be well.

Take a look!

prismtower-1.jpgprismtower2-1.jpg

Einstein would be proud.

<h3>Technician IFV</h3>

dtrngd has modelled up a prototype model for the Technician IFV. This IFV will only repair buildings. This is the result of combining either faction's technician with the IFV.

ifv_technician1-1.pngifv_technician2-1.png

Tools on Wheels.

<h3>Characters</h3>

I've been working on a new character base mesh that will form a base for new infantry. The topology on the old model wasn't brilliant, so I'm having a go at reproducing a more anatomically correct base model.

This is also university work, so I'll get marked on it in the end :D

Basemesh1-1.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I'm working on a lot of things right now. University work is encroaching.

cfehunter has lots of work.

dtrngd has been doing some stuff with the Allied Power Plant.

danpaul88 has made a test map.

C&CFPS.com are recruiting! Head over there if you are interested in joining their community team.

The rest of the team has been chillin'

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

KITTEN MITTENS!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaTpFwcC9o&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaTpFwcC9o&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaTpFwcC9o&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Fin~</h3>

Well played chaps.

<h3>danpaul88's ninja edit</h3>

You want a video? Fine, have one then;

<center>

W-pXzWFTkSQ

</center>

That's what happens when you forget to turn the AI off on all the vehicle spawners for the test map! Now stop complaining about lack of videos!

Guest BaneOfSorrows

Something about that grizzly tank really gets on my nerves....

Ah, it's the treads. The treads on that thing (by treads, I mean the entire side unit that houses the upper wheels and tread as well) are entirely too tall. They should be flatter and longer, imo. Just my 2 cents.

Of course, the prism tower makes up for any wrongs that have ever been done in AR. Ever. That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I, too, am curious of the repair speed of the techie IFV though.

I assume the IFV's repair speed will differ depending on the unit inside. Technicians are free and though they have the armor of a vehicle to hide in while they repair, working outside the MCT would probably still do less than if he were right next to it.

Engineers on the other hand would probably repair slightly faster on the outside but it would still be less than if he were actually inside.

Also account for the increased speed. If the enemy is constantly switching targets you'll move much faster in that repair IFV than on foot.

Guest Stormweaver

I assume the IFV's repair speed will differ depending on the unit inside. Technicians are free and though they have the armor of a vehicle to hide in while they repair, working outside the REPAIR NODE would probably still do less than if he were right next to it.

Fix'd

Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

Guest MartinMb

Nice ! Especially the Prism Tower's texture.

The veterancy system looks very interesting. Does it modifies the weapon like it's supposed to do ?

The veterancy system looks very interesting. Does it modifies the weapon like it's supposed to do ?

It has been fully up and running for years now :p It came before all the Renegade servers started introducing veterancy systems... in fact, the first Renegade server to introduce a veterancy system got the idea from the demo videos we posted in AR blogs a long long time ago.

Guest MartinMb

I see. There is a veterancy system on my APB server, but it does apply to the player, not the unit, so its persistent (it's the one of zunnie's SSAPB).

Guest APB rox

the grizzly tank looks fine but you might want to make some changes to it since it's still Alpha. the Rhino looks too APCish, but until i get an up - close look at it, i may never know how it looks like :D

the grizzly tank looks fine but you might want to make some changes to it since it's still Alpha. the Rhino looks too APCish, but until i get an up - close look at it, i may never know how it looks like :D

Changes like what?

At this point we will NOT be changing the Grizzly and Rhino tanks again. They have been done, redone, redone and redone again about 20 times now and if we keep redoing the same two vehicles over and over again we will never get this mod finished.

We posted WIP screenshots of these units in the blogs when they were being worked on, that was the time to express concerns about them. Now they will be staying as they are until at least RC2.

Changes like what?

13 more cannons and a few functional ladders so that infantry can ride on the side of them.

It all looks great.

Edited by Mrp

Guest AdrwIvrsn

Changes like what?

I agree with rox. I think the main cause is that both have a very thin but long turret profile. Even though the original RA2 unit design doesn't give you much liberty on that, you could widen the circular part of the Grizzly's "spoon" turret a little bit. It could also have its hull shorter in highth to make it look sleeker.

But since the model is already textured and rigged, and it looks fine as it is, I think we should keep it for now until some future release.

13 more cannons and a few functional ladders so that infantry can ride on the side of them.

Ladders aren't possible. :D

But since the model is already textured and rigged, and it looks fine as it is, I think we should keep it for now until some future release.

It's not changing in the forseable future.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

It's not changing in the forseable future.

"Comrade Chairman, BHP are the future."

If APB is changing its models for the after-Gamma releases, wouldn't AR do the same thing every few years as well?

"Comrade Chairman, BHP are the future."

If APB is changing its models for the after-Gamma releases, wouldn't AR do the same thing every few years as well?

Not if they are already of a good graphical quality.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

You can't really deny you are going to change it sometime, like in 5 or 6 years. But then again, rm5248 is right that that becomes the unforeseeable future.

Guest Allie29

The current models/textures are pretty awesome as is in my opinion. A lot of this stuff has little stuff to base it off of (unlike RA1) so they've done a good job. Grizzly looks funky because it WAS funky in the game. Same with about 90% of the units/weapons.

Guest AdrwIvrsn

It's not really RA2-lism that's the problem, but more of unit identification at long ranges. However, we're not like Valve where we focus on making every little element of gameplay as perfect as possible. I'll shut up now because the debate is already over.