Blog 173 (06/03/10)

Hey guys, it's time for the blog. This one is really late, but I've been off form for a week or two, not to mention having nothing really to show.

Anyway, here we go.

<h3>IFV Gun Turret</h3>

I've been working on the new machine-gun IFV turret. When you use a GI or Conscript with an IFV, this is what you'll get. It's not based on the original voxel art, because we thought that the weird dome turret didn't look right when brought into an FPS environment. So, with a bit of inspiration from military sources, I have designed this new turret which, I feel, fits the general allied aesthetic.

See what you guys think anyway.

post-2093-1271023250.png

<h3>Base Character Updates</h3>

I've been continuing work on the base character mk. 2. I'm working to get the arms and legs finished up for next week. From this base, I can create all of the new infantry :)

Here's some progress!

post-2093-1271022406.png

<h3>Strings</h3>

I've also been working on getting the strings sorted out. jonwil has coded up a nice new strings editor that is much better than the one that's built in to level edit. With this I can search for strings as well as other neat tricks.

As an example, here are the strings for the weapons in RC1 :D

post-2093-1271023759.png

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been really busy with various things concerning university and finding houses.

cfehunter has been busy with his course.

dtrngd has scheduled a meeting.

danpaul88 has been tweaking the G.I's deploy script.

Guy with a wrench is away.

The rest of the team is gearing up for a meeting later today.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

Magikarp use a splash attack!

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-2fkHbCkY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-2fkHbCkY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-2fkHbCkY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Ummm...</h3>

Yeah, hopefully next week, we won't be as late.

Guest Pelikan132

What about making IFV MG turret look little different when GI or Conscript sit in it (despite it means more and more work to do :) )? :D

OWA: Your weapon names for the MP5K and MP5-N are incorrect. See this wikipedia article;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&...5#Variants_list

The MP5K has no - in it, while the MP5-N has the - after the 5, not before. They were correct in the version I originally sent you.

Alrighty, I'll fix that.

Guest BigCheese256

that machine gun turret IFV is :D:):)

+1.

I agree that having a dome turret for every weapon just wouldn't work. :)

Guest SnakeTnk

Hahah, it really does look like a HB turret, maybe you should model the actual barrel off something not the same calibre as a tank cannon? Heh.

Guest APB rox

as many people said, the IFV's MG turret looks great, but from that screenshot the IFV's MG barrel is a little too short, try extending it if you can. oh and i believe the base character models had Mesh Smooth applied, so there were lines.but if it wasn't applied, where did the lines come from? btw, the lines on the blue base character models made them look like spiderman's costume lol

Hahah, it really does look like a HB turret, maybe you should model the actual barrel off something not the same calibre as a tank cannon? Heh.

Just remember how much damage Gun IFV's did to vehicles and buildings in RA2.

as many people said, the IFV's MG turret looks great, but from that screenshot the IFV's MG barrel is a little too short, try extending it if you can. oh and i believe the base character models had Mesh Smooth applied, so there were lines.but if it wasn't applied, where did the lines come from? btw, the lines on the blue base character models made them look like spiderman's costume lol

The mesh smooth modifier does not make lines magically appear on the model. What the Mesh smooth modifier does do, is add a buttload more polygons to make everything look smoother.

I used a custom material to display the polygon structure and mesh flow. What you see in the render is what I have modelled by hand without the use of any modifiers (other than symmetry).