Blog 182 (20/08/10)

Welcome to the blog guys. You may have noticed that I'm not writing these as often anymore; however, this enables us to show a lot more new stuff, instead of showing things that we've already shown you (if that makes sense).

Anyway, onto the blog!

<h3>G.I</h3>

Our newest member, Fango, has put his skills to work swiftly and has produced this great G.I model, which is still a work in progress. Models like this ensure that Apocalypse rising's graphics will maintain a high quality. I'd even go as far to say that by the time we've got some infantry ingame, they'll be the best looking infantry on any w3d-based project. Just putting it out there. :D

Anyway, take a look at this! Don't bother asking for the poly count on this one, because Fango is using a method of modelling which involves making a high poly model, then downgrading it to suit the engine.

post-1484-1282346143.jpg

<h3>Prototype Tutorial</h3>

dtrngd had some time off, so he decided to look into making tutorials. With Wallywood's help, he has made a start on a prototype tutorial map. There's not much else I can say, so check the video out!

<center><object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyC82Ck1Jj0?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyC82Ck1Jj0?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyC82Ck1Jj0?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object></center>

<h3>Tesla Coil Update</h3>

Guy with a wrench has been working on getting the Tesla Coil ingame and rigged. He's done a pretty damn good job as well, since he's been playing around with one of danpaul88's scripts that allows us to change the model and texture based on damage. This means that at half health, the Tesla Coil will appear to be bent slightly, with visiable damage on the texture. When the coil is destroyed, it'll explode and fall over, much to the amusement of the Allies. This has now been handed over to danpaul88, who will now attempt to get the coil into the main test builds and setup the Tesla Trooper charge logic.

Here's an image of what the Tesla Coil looks like ingame.

post-1484-1282434933.png

<h3>Third Person Camera Position & Bunnyhop Nerf</h3>

I've been having a play around with the third person camera, and have changed it so it now appears like this. I was hoping to do an "over-the-shoulder" style camera, but unfortunately, that's not possible in the engine.

Check out the screenshot below for an idea of what it's going to be like. Also, if you have any different ideas about where the camwera should be positioned, post them!

post-1484-1282435112.pngpost-1484-1282435354.png

Also, danpaul88 has taken a look into how we should effectively kill bunnyhopping. The answer? Limit the jump height to a more realistic level. The default Renegade jump height is rediculous when you take into acount how high your character is actually jumping, so we've limited it to stop bunnyhoppping for good. You can still strafe quickly from side to side, but it's killed off the main problem, which was the hopping.

<h3>Dreadnought :)</h3>

danpaul88 was looking through some of the old test builds and found the Dreadnought sitting idly, so he decided to give the Allies a shock and play around with it. This monster is armed with two triple-barreled cannons (as seen in the concept art here), two massive missiles and a salvo of smaller missiles (as seen in the RA2 intro movie).

post-1484-1282346154.jpgpost-1484-1282346166.jpg

post-1484-1282346175.jpgpost-1484-1282346186.jpg

It's nostalgic to see this monster back in game, since it's from a time where we were using the Renegade vehicles and such to do our testing. I think we've come on a lot since then.

Our next test build it set to include more units to help with balancing, but we shan't be seeing this monster ingame for a while sadly. Fortunately though, we have some really epic plans for the Dreadnought, the Aircraft Carrier and the Naval Transports which will blow your minds. But I'll keep them til a later date. :)

<h3>Team Messages</h3>

I've been working a lot to get some money to get back to university with. I'm also off to my frined Scott's place because it's his birthday!

cfehunter is back and working on the IFV

dtrngd has been doing amazing things with the tutorial prototype.

danpaul88 has been making a building capture script for oil derricks and other tech structures!

Guy with a wrench has been working on some more civilian structures.

The rest of the team is doing various things.

<h3>OWA's Random Corner</h3>

<center>

Washing Machine Self-Destructs!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBSI8ZBzQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBSI8ZBzQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBSI8ZBzQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bonus! Blasto the Hanar Spectre

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGldy-ABbsw?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGldy-ABbsw?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGldy-ABbsw?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

</center>

<h3>Til next time!</h3>

Seeya!

Guest Gurgle

A lot of new (and old!) content, cool.

It seems like the new third-person cam will have the character model closer-up and bigger, and thus blocking the crosshair and your target...

Guest Loyal2NES

The purchase terminal is beautiful in action. Though that one random GI is ... ear-rapey.

I have to agree that the new cam angle is a little counterproductive. I might as well be in first-person.

Speaking of which, is it possible to make it so you can free-aim in first person?

I see that, you are going back to .9915 times with the weapons. (Just installed it)

Wait what?

The purchase terminal is beautiful in action. Though that one random GI is ... ear-rapey.

I have to agree that the new cam angle is a little counterproductive. I might as well be in first-person.

Speaking of which, is it possible to make it so you can free-aim in first person?

The new camera needs to be tested in the next alpha build, so we'll get some tests in to see whether I did good or not.

Free aim in first person would defeat the object of it.

what random GI ?.....also love the video, and fango is the MAN !!!!

He means the guy that blows up. The sound is really crappy quality, so when turned up loud it rapes the ears.

Now that's a blog.

Loving the tut video but I feel that after you have killed the conscripts, the instruter should say something like "Press the "Q" key again to undeploy from the sandbag mode".

Guest Generalcamo
I see that, you are going back to .9915 times with the weapons

Wait what?

Those same weapons were used in Renalert .9915. Back then, Renegade alert was dependent on renegade. Including UNLIMITED AMMO HELICOPTERS, limited ammunition weapons, and pistols for everyone.

Those same weapons were used in Renalert .9915. Back then, Renegade alert was dependent on renegade. Including UNLIMITED AMMO HELICOPTERS, limited ammunition weapons, and pistols for everyone.

We have plenty of weapons ready for rigging, when we get new FP hands in .max format I will be more then happy to animate the weapons. Until then we have to rely on renegade models.

Guest Pyrodaimon

Awesome work on the GI. And is the Dreadnaught really going to be armed to the teeth? It kinda makes sense though that such a big ship carries more than a pair of missiles.

Also, I see that you still haven't fixed the typo on the Allied Repair Node.

Guest Stormweaver

That tutorial feels oddly...nostalgic. In a very awesome way.

also: holy flying fango, that model is awesome. If it maybe looks a bit 'armless. even with the polys scaled down, I forsee some really epic models coming from AR, and I honestly can't wait.

Oh, and I should hope I'll have my own place in a month or two, so a really awesomely timed tester recruitment to get me back is expected. *shakes fist*

Edited by Stormweaver

Wait what?

Not exactly.

The same weapon models were used because they are from Renegade and we don't have most of our weapon models yet.

However, they aren't balanced or are anything like the Renegade weapons in the presets, so they aren't technically the same weapons. They are only the same weapons visually. None of our stuff is dependent on Renegade's core build anymore. (Renalert wasn't dependent on Renegade either, but the level edit guy was too narrow-minded to change the values to RAlistic ones back then).

Guest BigCheese256

Woa. The GI is sexy! Even though his face makes him look like a zombie. D:

Dreadnoughts with rear cannons? Don't like the sound of that. Might make the Dreadnought to effective against Destroyers and SEALs, when they are supposed to be near helpless against both.

A tutorial. I lol'd. :D

I guess reducing bunny hopping is a good thing. After all, only the Allies will have Snipers, and then that is only like once in every 6(?) games. :p

Guest EVA-251

I see that, you are going back to .9915 times with the weapons. (Just installed it)

They're called placeholders, as they were with RenAlert in the beginning.

-The GI looks badass

-Tesla Coil is nearly as badass

-SEAL still looks kinda fat

-Dreadnought needs more gun. A lot.

Guest Kakashi

Say... that's just minor, but if I changed the keys prior to playing the tutorial, would the game pick up my settings and play the right sound files for my keys of choice, or would be keep telling me about the standard ones? Personally I find tutorials that don't account this rather annoying, which is why I'm asking.

Say... that's just minor, but if I changed the keys prior to playing the tutorial, would the game pick up my settings and play the right sound files for my keys of choice, or would be keep telling me about the standard ones? Personally I find tutorials that don't account this rather annoying, which is why I'm asking.

What do you usually change in the control settings?

The answer is no, they won't. The strings are pre-written and saved in a strings.tdb file and as such there is no practical way to inject custom key settings into them without creating hundreds of copies of the same string in the strings.tdb file for each possible key combination... and before you suggest we spend hours and hours and hours doing this, keep in mind it will also result in a HUGE install size...

Hence why it says 'Default: E', indicating that E is the default key that is used, not necessarily the key you have configured.

If you are seriously playing the tutorial then you probably would not have changed your keys. If you have you should know what key does what.

This ^

Guest Kakashi

Hmmpf... I was thinking that it would be possible to just record every key (i.e. "A", "B" etc.) once as separate string and have the program put them in the right places within the sentences for every binding. If you have to record the whole sentences for every key and for every binding I guess the workload is too much.

And yes, when playing a new game I look at the options first, check the settings and what keys I may need or not need. Doing this, I usually end up overwriting some key bindings that belong to special functions only needed for this game, so I have to reassign those and, more importantly, check if they are in a comfortable position. For that I usually play the tutorial to test the settings and get a feel of the game's handling. Since I usually forget where I assigned those new bindings it's usually helpful to me if at least the game remembered -_-'...

You could also just have the game spit out a chat message telling me what key I bound the function to.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest coolio

yes i finally found the apocrising server and bye the way the game looks AWESOME and i cant wait for it to be done oh and is it gonna have yuri faction

yes i finally found the apocrising server and bye the way the game looks AWESOME and i cant wait for it to be done oh and is it gonna have yuri faction

Thanks!

Yuri won't be a faction in the game, but the Soviet Yuri unit will be in there.