Blog 186 (02/06/11)

Guest APB_ICE

Everything looks awesome. Great work! :D

Although, Soviet signs should be in Russian, not English. But then again, Allied signs should also be in German and French, in addition to English.

Anyway, everything's looking awesome!

Edited by APB_ICE

Guest saalkin
Combine a GI or Conscript with the IFV and you get this awesome bolter turret heavy machine gun turret

I will not be happy with this game until there is an ork looted verison with a big shoota :D

Nice job on all this by the way.

Guest Cyberslas

Uhh... this IS a new blog.... it was only posted 3 days ago...

Haha, my bad. Your backwards way of showing the date always got me jumbled up (February 6th 2011, what?) so I just look at the date of the first post, which showed it was created on May 8th. I didn't even look at the content because I'd figured I'd seen it already. :p

Your backwards way of showing the date always got me jumbled up (February 6th 2011, what?)

You mean, our sensible way of showing the date?

Day / Month / Year

Least Significant -> Most Significant. Showing it any other way (except Year / Month / Day, or Most Signficant -> Lease Significant) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It would be like writing a time in hours : seconds : minutes or something...

Although, Soviet signs should be in Russian, not English. But then again, Allied signs should also be in German and French, in addition to English.

We decided against it so that players could actually read the signs and not get even more confused. It's less realistic but more player friendly.

Guest Loyal2NES

Huh. Can't believe I missed this blog.

The IFVs look great, and the Soviet Base looks phenomenal from these angles.

Guest Cyberslas

You mean, our sensible way of showing the date?

Day / Month / Year

Least Significant -> Most Significant. Showing it any other way (except Year / Month / Day, or Most Signficant -> Lease Significant) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It would be like writing a time in hours : seconds : minutes or something...

I always figured the Month / Day / Year notation was made to fit in line with the way you would say the date. Like, I would say today is May 8th, 2011 and not that it is the 8th of May, 2011. Unless of course "8th of May, 2011" is how you say it over the pond, then my logic is all bleh. :D

Guest Kakashi

In germany we say "heute ist der achte Juni 2011", which indeed translates into "today is the eighth of June, 2011".

Can't you change the order in which dates are shown in "My Controls"?

Unless of course "8th of May, 2011" is how you say it over the pond, then my logic is all bleh. :D

It is :) I think people would get funny looks over here if they go around announcing its May 8th instead of the 8th of May....

Guest Dukat863

We decided against it so that players could actually read the signs and not get even more confused. It's less realistic but more player friendly.

When i will translate AR to рiдна мова Russian (omfgbhpgonnahateme), i will translate those signs first.

Edited by Dukat863

Guest Kakashi

You mean cause they use weird units like Yards, Fahrenheit or lb? To me that's still better than driving on the left side :D.

Guest APB_ICE

Hmm... you do have a point, but what about all the non-English players?

Plus, you could just have alternate-language signs beside the English ones, like in Soviet buildings, putting a Russian sign right above or below it's English counterpart, same with German/French signs in Allied buildings. Real multinational organizations usually have their written materials in several different languages. Ah, but I nitpick... :)

Keep up the good work. :D

Edited by APB_ICE

Hmm... you do have a point, but what about all the non-English players?

Plus, you could just have alternate-language signs beside the English ones, like in Soviet buildings, putting a Russian sign right above or below it's English counterpart, same with German/French signs in Allied buildings. Real multinational organizations usually have their written materials in several different languages. Ah, but I nitpick... :D

We would, but it's more effort than gain.

I don't think there are that many non-english speaking players in APB. Rarely do I see someone speaking a different language.

Guest Kakashi

Why not use this

130px-PublicInformationSymbol_EmergencyExit.svg.png

symbol (but in red/blue) together with "exit" written in the corresponding language for each faction? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen that symbol before, making the sign easy to understand even if you cannot read it, for whatever reason.

Guest Dukat863

I don't think there are that many non-english speaking players in APB. Rarely do I see someone speaking a different language.

They don't speak it because server rules don't allow you to type in рiдна мова.

When killboy06 saw my post about cyrillic fonts, he threatened to mute everyone who will use it...

If this rule will be changed, i'm ready to convert ingame fonts to work with other languages.

Edited by Dukat863

Guest Kakashi
[...] he threatened to mute anyone who would use it...

Sorry, that one glared at me...

That's a common problem on any server in any game, you cannot check anymore what others are talking about if everyone just uses their mother language. However without checking moderators cannot keep order on the server, since they cannot use their authority properly if they cannot understand the people they are dealing with. That's no evil intent towards you, your project or the people downloading the fonts. It's just their try to keep up order.

On another hand, any russian orginated server may profit greatly from your fonts, I've always thought that at least one regular server would pop up anyways, since APB seems to have a strong russian/eastern europe fanbase.

Edited by Kakashi

Guest Dukat863

Fonts were created to bypass translit problem, not for profit. We would organize an Russian APB server if there were no problems like empty server (Nite and apathbeyond.com servers are usially empty).

And who cares that we discuss KOI8-r charset?

P.S. Captain Obvious Russian-speaking moderator to the rescue!

Edited by Dukat863

Why not use this

130px-PublicInformationSymbol_EmergencyExit.svg.png

symbol (but in red/blue) together with "exit" written in the corresponding language for each faction? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen that symbol before, making the sign easy to understand even if you cannot read it, for whatever reason.

We could use this, but then we would be limited to making just exit signs; whereas we plan to make signs to help players find the weakpoints as well.

Guest sonarpulse

whereas we plan to make signs to help players find the weakpoints as well.

Make a big "no explosives in this area" sign. :D

Guest Bombardment12

signs to help players find the weakpoints as well.

"WARNING: PRIMARY MUNITIONS CACHE. DESTRUCTION COULD RESULT IN DEATH."

"PRIMARY GENERATOR AHEAD, DO NOT SHOOT."

"HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE ROCKETS HERE, PROTECT AT ALL COSTS."

"DISH ROTATION MECHANISM AHEAD, DESTRUCTION WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF TURNING."

:D

Guest Chad1233

I am loving the new IFV combinations! I think the Crazy Ivan one is so funny looking!:D

Looking forward to more updates next weekend or 2! :)

Guest Dukat863

"WARNING: PRIMARY MUNITIONS CACHE. DESTRUCTION COULD RESULT IN DEATH."

"PRIMARY GENERATOR AHEAD, DO NOT SHOOT."

"HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE ROCKETS HERE, PROTECT AT ALL COSTS."

"DISH ROTATION MECHANISM AHEAD, DESTRUCTION WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF TURNING."

:D

"NUCLEAR REACTOR BEHIND THIS WALL, DO NOT LAUNCH ROCKETS"

Edited by Dukat863

Guest Kakashi

There are enough real world securtiy signs to use in order to hint at, like these:

industrial_safety_signs.gif

If you use symbol language in combination with text you can keep the language used in the buildings to the mother language of the faction they belong to without people misunderstanding or ignoring them.

Edit: found this site, which shows an abundance of signs that could be used.

Edited by Kakashi