Dev.Blog 1 - A New Hope (10/24/2011)

APB Spies are very useful; They just require teamwork (Ex. Shutting down the Soviet power plant before the rest of the team rushes the Tesla Coil). Unfortunately, true teamwork doesn't exist on the APB server because 90% of the playerbase seems to either lack the patience to plan things out and/or the willingness to follow other peoples' plans, or they just want to lone-wolf all the time.

Well, teamwork demands planning, and planning needs around 10-20 seconds... most of the time in Gamma you start off buying a weapon and running off or jumping on the nearest supply truck.

Pre-Gamma was a bit of a waiting game for the first dump which left plenty of time for planning. Also starting credits for Gamma means also that the first 20 seconds is absolutely vital! There is no time to talk! Only enough time to kill the opponents refinery and so secure an unwavering victory for the rest of the 7mins while the other team gets all moody.

If you want to see an increase planing you need an increase in time to plan. Faster gameplay means faster reactions... this isn't chess. The slow get killed.

PS...

As for Reborn with no snipers... Umagon is more a long ranged gunner...

(aka no one shotters, more of a... "holy crap my life bar is draining")

Also WallyWood I trust your judgement and hope for the best.

Also it was fun testing the cham. spy with his knifing (yes it is almost impossible to get close enough to hit the target but when you do...sweetness). I did testing with the previous RC1 and RC2. Lastly... spoiler: the mutant hijacker will come with a crowbar.

Edited by Raptor29aa

Guest APB_ICE

Planning doesn't require any more than a few seconds if people just co-operate. For example:

*Game starts*

Me: (Random player 1) and (Random player 2) defend the base! Everyone else get rockets and attack the Flame Tower!

(Random player 3): Affirmative.

(Random player 4): Affirmative.

(Random player 5): Affirmative.

Total time: Less than 10 seconds (9 of those seconds were just for typing; The actual plan took 1 second.).

2 minutes later...

EVA: Soviet Flame Tower destroyed.

*Spies become available*

Me: I'm getting a Spy. Everyone else stay in the base and get Mediums. Wait for my signal.

Me: Move out.

EVA: Soviet defences off-line.

*Mediums destroy Tesla Coil.*

This is how games should go.

Edited by APB_ICE

APB Spies are very useful; They just require teamwork (Ex. Shutting down the Soviet power plant before the rest of the team rushes the Tesla Coil). Unfortunately, true teamwork doesn't exist on the APB server because 90% of the playerbase seems to either lack the patience to plan things out and/or the willingness to follow other peoples' plans, or they just want to lone-wolf all the time.

Well, teamwork demands planning, and planning needs around 10-20 seconds... most of the time in Gamma you start off buying a weapon and running off or jumping on the nearest supply truck.

Pre-Gamma was a bit of a waiting game for the first dump which left plenty of time for planning. Also starting credits for Gamma means also that the first 20 seconds is absolutely vital! There is no time to talk! Only enough time to kill the opponents refinery and so secure an unwavering victory for the rest of the 7mins while the other team gets all moody.

If you want to see an increase planing you need an increase in time to plan. Faster gameplay means faster reactions... this isn't chess. The slow get killed.

PS...

As for Reborn with no snipers... Umagon is more a long ranged gunner...

(aka no one shotters, more of a... "holy crap my life bar is draining")

Also WallyWood I trust your judgement and hope for the best.

Also it was fun testing the cham. spy with his knifing (yes it is almost impossible to get close enough to hit the target but when you do...sweetness). I did testing with the previous RC1 and RC2. Lastly... spoiler: the mutant hijacker will come with a crowbar.

Thank you sir :) ....and another spoiler the mutant hijacker will come with more then just a crowbar now ;)

Guest credulo

APB_ICE , a game like that is what I always dreamed on, the gameplay achieves it max. potential with teamwork ;D

I just hope you guys do the best and the mod finally come out, I was waiting for it a long time ago...

And for the sniperless gaming, really loved the idea :)

Guest Mei Terumi

The Hijacker has had a crowbar at least since the Infantry Beta, which was released back in 2008.

Dude u have no idea how frigging OP the hijacker is on the current build of the Mod.

Edited by Sn1p3r87

The Hijacker has had a crowbar at least since the Infantry Beta, which was released back in 2008.

Dude u have no idea how frigging OP the hijacker is on the current build of the Mod.

You mean like the time R315ch stole a MKII and I forget who it was that kept repairing it with the mobile repair vehicle. Anyways that one vehicle kept the base alive without a war factory for at least a good 5min and three waves. (It was a 3v3 match)

One thing that would make reborn pretty "TS" like that I didn't see. Any thoughts on producing a veinhole monster as a map prop? I doubt it'd be necessary to make it able to be harvested, but it would be nice as an additional obstacle or an alternative method of making an infantry/light vehicle only area to a map.

That said, looking forward to seeing things to come, and though I may apply for testing sometime in the future, I'd really rather make an effort to be brought in as a consultant/concept artist to help the team roll ideas around. A few of you have seen my stuff on the Reborn forums and I'm sure as I get more active around here the rest of you will see what I have to offer as well.

Guest Kakashi

If you want to achieve teamplay you have to give the players means of communication. Since the only "native" way of communicating in Ren based games is typing the speed at which plans can be formed depends on the tpying speed of the players. Not to mention typing puts you out of commission while you type and that kill strings and voice command spam may push your message out of the window before anyone read it.

There is a corresponding Teamspeak server that goes with APBs play server if I recall correctly. It would be great if the launcher detected if you have Teamspeak and connected you to the server's Teamspeak server if there is one. It would be ingenious if the game would send informaion about what team you are in and swap you into the correct channels. The less work the players have to do while playing the more likely they will accept and use the feature. And using voice-chat makes getting teamplay to work a lot easier.

P.S.: Was I the only one that could not access the site for half an hour? Site died on me just as I was sending out my last two posts...

Guest CYBERMAN

We all know the size of the old Reborn team, and how active they were on the last forum in the last days. It kinda goes without saying, but not i've said it.

Guest Mei Terumi

We all know the size of the old Reborn team, and how active they were on the last forum in the last days. It kinda goes without saying, but not i've said it.

Think like three people lol :p

• 1 year later...
Guest The_G(ness)

You can port the Mammoth over from APB if your doing a fan map or something; but no, the old Mammoth doesn't appear in the current release version of TS:R.

Guest Nod Guy

wow, super old bump huh?

That's what I was thinking... Wow.

But it would be pretty interesting if some maps had derelict Mammoth Tank that could be "fixed up" and made operational again. Maybe this vehicle could be in an abandoned GDI base from the first war?

wow, super old bump huh?

That's what I was thinking... Wow.

But it would be pretty interesting if some maps had derelict Mammoth Tank that could be "fixed up" and made operational again. Maybe this vehicle could be in an abandoned GDI base from the first war?

I got one better.

The abandoned Nod base in Sarajevo. The one that was blown to smithereens in the 1st Tiberium War. Then we won't have just mammoths; we can have husks of all sorts of 1st Tiberium War hardware that can be grabbed, repaired, and used by either side. Many of APB's vehicles (APC, Medium Tank, Artillery, and aforementioned Mammoth) can be re-skinned to fit the 1st Tiberium war, and some assets from Renegade (Humvee, MRLS, Buggy) can be re-skinned or given a nice BHP overhaul for the map. This gives us a map that is not only jam-packed with fan service, but one almost straight from Tiberian Sun itself, as well as being a really interesting change of pace from "Go to enemy, kill enemy."

Guest APB_ICE

This would be awesome, although realistically GDI would have cleaned up all the "leftovers" after the war ended.

Still, abandoned bases/vehicles in remote locations or in Forgotten service would be awesmazing. :dance:

Edited by APB_ICE

This would be awesome, although realistically GDI would have cleaned up all the "leftovers" after the war end.

Realistically, maybe. But not TSlistically. Truth is, my post was inspired by a certain Nod mission:

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Eviction_Notice

For those that don't remember, this mission did include derelict 1st Tiberium War buildings, including the original Temple.