Dev.Blog 3 - Lethal Weapon 3 (11/7/2011)

Last week we talked a little bit about the roster, and this week we will be talking about the weapons each unit will receive. Now, nothing is set in stone but this is the basic idea of what you can expect from our infantry units.

GDI

Light Infantry (Free)

GDI basic rifle.png

*Rifle

Technician (Free)

GDI Arm repair tool.png

*Wrist repair tool

GDI Pistol.png

*Pistol

Engineer

GDI Arm repair tool.png

*Wrist repair tool

GDI Pistol.png

*Pistol

[Model not Ready]

*Briefcase

Disk thrower

GDI Diskthrower Disk.png

*Explosive Disk

Medic

GDI Medic Case.png

*Medpack (Medic also heals poison)

GDI Medic Uzi.png

*Uzi

Jump Jet

GDI JumpJet rifle.png

*Rifle (AA Secondary fire)

GDI_Binocks.png

*Binoculars

Umagon

GDI Umagon Auto scoped rifle.png

*Scoped Auto-Rifle

GDI C4 Remote.png

*Vehicle C4

Officer

GDI Officer Chaingun.png

*Chain gun

GDI_Binocks.png

*Binoculars

Ghost Stalker

GDI GhostStalker Rail gun.png

*Rail Gun

GDI C4 timed.png

* 1 Super C4

Riot trooper

GDI Riot Shotgun.png

*Shot gun

GDI EMP Mine.png

*EMP Mines

Anti. Air Trooper

GDI Anit Air Cannon.png

*Anti Air Rocket launcher

GDI Pistol.png

*Pistol

NOD

Light Infantry (Free)

NOD basic rifle.png

*Rifle

Technician (Free)

NOD Arm repair tool.png

*Wrist repair tool

NOD Pistol.png

*Pistol

Engineer

NOD Arm repair tool.png

*Wrist repair tool

NOD Pistol.png

*Pistol

[Model not Ready]

*Briefcase

Rocket Infantry

NOD Rocket launcher.png

*Rocket launcher (A.A. secondary fire)

Chameleon Spy

Nod Spy knife.jpg

*Knives

NOD Pistol.png

*Pistol

NOD_Binocks.png

*Binoculars

NOD Timed C4.png

*Decoy remote mines

Mutant Hijacker

NOD Mutant hijacker crowbar.png

*Crowbar

NOD Mutant hijacker Uzi.png

*Tech 9 Uzi

Confessor

NOD Confessor Plasma rifle.png

*Plasma Gun

Cyborg

NOD Cyborg chaingun.png

*Chain gun

NOD Cyborg Cannon.png

*Rocket arm

Cyborg Commando

NOD C.Commando plasma arm.png

*Plasma arm

Elite Cadre

NOD Elite Cadre.png

*Machine gun/Grenade launcher

NOD_Binocks.png

*Binoculars

Toxin Trooper

NOD Toxin auto scoped rifle.png

*Toxin Auto rifle

toxingrenade_opt.png

*Toxin Grenade (Hi-poly & Low-poly)

Dtrngd while modeling our really cool toxin grenade decided to have a little fun and made a Toxin Drink cup :laugh2:

toxinbeer.png

I also mentioned that Tiberian Sun Reborn will have a unique promotion system. Now as some of you may know, Apocalypse Rising already has a promotion system, but we’ve decided to make ours a little different. The idea behind ours is when you get the first promotion to Veteran [][], you’ll be given an armor upgrade or resistance to an effect like splash damage, fire, poison, etc. When you get the second promotion to Elite *, you’ll get a weapon upgrade or a special ability like faster reloads, better ammo, or health regen. This list is still being played with but here’s an example:

Riot Trooper

1st promotion - Poison Resistant

2nd Promotion - Incendiary Ammo

We're also thinking about implementing a rank retention system. If you’ve earned a rank, there may be a way to retain that ranking by spending a little extra cash. This will reset each round, of course.

One_Winged_Angel was awesome enough to model the rank icons that will pop up as you are promoted for us:

TwoBarsStar.png

As for the rest of the team:

Darkangel is modeling up an awesome Nod tech center.

Renardin is a little under the weather, but he’s texturing the engineer briefcases and the new toxin trooper for us.

Spice is working away at the GDI service depot you all saw in last week’s blog.

Guy with a Wrench is redoing a bunch of the civilian buildings.

Teamwolf has been tracking down old assets and maps for us to fix up.

And lastly, I've been planning out our first build, tracking down assets, re doing tons of sounds and all around handling management after the big move.

Guest Pyrodaimon

I'm not so sure about the Medic and the Hijacker having uzis. Other than that, it's great to see so many things back. Kinda nostalgic. Maybe the Cyborg's chain gun will finally be useful.

Also, I remember the old team had some old idea of making the Kerubim/Confessor's weapon into a chargeable laser, kind like a mini Obelisk.

And one last thing. Are you planning on naming the weapons? Like the plasma gun was the Burazazu, or similar?

Guest ChronoSeth

Looks like some Nod infantry might be a little too multi-purpose, but I like the variety of the weapons.

For example, why does the cyborg need a rocket launcher? :huh:

Medics and Hijackers are going to need some sort of side arm. And a standard pistol seems a little bit weak for a field unit, so I think the best in between is the now un-used Uzis. As for the charge up and re-naming of the Confessor's Rifle both might happen. The charge up might would be a really cool Secondary fire, with a longer reload.

Looks like some Nod infantry might be a little too multi-purpose, but I like the variety of the weapons.

We're still working on details, but yes I think giving these units a multipurpose is a good way to make no unit is over shadowed

I think to make a Cyborg a major threat like he was in TS/FS then yes he should be giving both an Anti-Unit and Anti-Vehicle weapon. But who's to say it might be something that gets unlocked a Elite Status ;)

Guest APB_ICE

Actually, it should be a grenade launcher or mini HE/AP cannon, since that's what the Cyborg had in renders and cutscenes:

Cyborg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdc8v76Sx0

Edited by APB_ICE

Actually, it should be a grenade launcher/mini-cannon, since that's what the Cyborg had in renders and cutscenes:

There is no proof that is grenade launcher, instead of a small rocket launcher. Even in the videos it is un-clear, and most likely it will be a Rocket launcher

Guest APB_ICE
Actually, it should be a grenade launcher/mini-cannon, since that's what the Cyborg had in renders and cutscenes:

There is no proof that is grenade launcher, instead of a small rocket launcher. Even in the videos it is un-clear, and most likely it will be a Rocket launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdc8v76Sx0

-Near-instant projectile travel (I know that rockets go very fast, too, but in C&C cutscenes, rockets tend to travel MUCH slower than other projectiles.)

-No exhaust-trail behind the projectile

-"Pop!" sound upon firing, instead of a more rocket-like sound

For the last time ICE there is no proof of it being either. With your logic it could still be either one. I could claim that the damage done by the blast is too big to be a grenade. Again ICE there is no proof from such an unclear video. Also in that video that one light infantry unit took out both Cyborgs in two shots, that couldn't happen in TS, should because I saw it in this video should I make that happen in Reborn? ..NO

Guest Generalcamo

Hmm, didn't the technician have a repair gun, while the engineer had the slightly more powerful repair wrist? Or is that one of your changes?

I like the roster though.

Guest APB_ICE

Valid points, but the weapon itself even looks more like a cannon of some sort rather than a rocket launcher. Anyway, I'll stop arguing about it.

BTW, the Hijacker's recently-acquired "Tech 9 Uzi" still has the GDI logo. It might be best to remove that. :emot-v:

Edited by APB_ICE

BTW, the Hijacker's recently-acquired "Tech 9 Uzi" still has the GDI logo. It might be best to remove that. :emot-v:

He stole it ...he is a Hijacker....thus DEAL WIT IT !

Hmm, didn't the technician have a repair gun, while the engineer had the slightly more powerful repair wrist? Or is that one of your changes?

I like the roster though.

I took out the repair guns...too Renegade like.

You COULD give him an AK-47.... ported from APB!

Other then that, I think it looks fine. Wait a minute, that gives me an idea....

With that logic...I could just give him a NOD light rifle and that is not what I'm looking to do. I want him to have something less powerful then a Rifle and more powerful then a Pistol. So the Uzi works. The Uzi texture will probably be fixed or covered in the end.

Guest r315r4z0r

It would be cool if you could pull a Battlefield with medics and have them be able to deploy med-packs with stationary area-of-effect healing. Same thing with ammunition for some other unit. I can't say I'm all to happy with most units getting infinite ammo (that's by far the worst aspect of APB imo... and now Reborn) but I'll trust your judgment on it. :D