Dev.Blog 3 - Lethal Weapon 3 (11/7/2011)

Guest APB_ICE

not sure about Cyborgs being effected yet due to the engine and balance.

Cyborgs are a mix of human and machine. What could be done is your weapons could be disabled, but you could still move.

That seems like a good compromise. :)

Also, this has been discussed in the past, but I think that it would be really cool for Cyborgs, Cyborg Commandos, and Cyborg Reapers to have their own custom HUD, if possible.

Edited by APB_ICE

The buildings will take the same damage if you shoot the MCT or the outside. To repair you will have repair at the MCT and the Ghost stalkers C4 will have to hit the MCT. The major difference between the APB set up and our set up is that shooting the buildings with reg. bullets will do very very little damage where if you hit it with something like a Disk/Rocket/Plasma/Rail gun shot is will do a good deal of damage. I've also been playing around with the idea of maybe making it so if your BAR/HON are destroyed you loose all the your special infantry and will be left with Techs, Light, one Anti Vehicle unit. So GDI will be left their Disk throwers and Nod their Rocket Soldier. That could help take done whoring and some rage quits.

Guest r315r4z0r

That sounds awesome. I never liked the idea of a single light infantry guy shooting a computer to take down a whole structure by himself. Glad to hear it will take more effort than that.

As for Cyborgs, they are mostly machine. They just run on human parts. Meaning if they get EMPed they should be completely frozen but their weapons should still work. Weapons aren't electronic.

Well. Not to nitpick, but traditionally the cyborgs were more machine than man. Other than the vital organs left over that weren't replaced with mechanical versions, and parts of the brain, their limbs and everything else are entirely robotic. So an EMP effect would pretty generally shut down everything.

Guest r315r4z0r

Well. Not to nitpick, but traditionally the cyborgs were more machine than man. Other than the vital organs left over that weren't replaced with mechanical versions, and parts of the brain, their limbs and everything else are entirely robotic. So an EMP effect would pretty generally shut down everything.

Machine guns and cannons aren't electronic. Even if their entire body is robotic, the weapon systems aren't.

However their motor movements would be robotic meaning they wouldn't be able to walk or aim or do anything. But they should still be able to fire the weapons.

Guest APB_ICE

Machine guns and cannons aren't electronic. Even if their entire body is robotic, the weapon systems aren't.

However their motor movements would be robotic meaning they wouldn't be able to walk or aim or do anything. But they should still be able to fire the weapons.

Miniguns actually are electronic. Many rocket launchers are also fired electrically.

Also, this is my 1000th post!

Ice beat me to it. Yeah, unless the hammer is being pulled back by a mechanical force (such as the pull of a trigger) the weapon is likely being fired electrically, and... in the case of a minigun and the arm cannon/rocket launcher thing, the former is certainly controlled by electronics, and the latter is clearly the entire portion of the arm and logically controlled by an electrical signal to the firing mechanism. And really, due to how much of the cyborg is controlled by machinery it's likely one effected by EMP would go into a sort of coma until the system reboots making him pretty much inert.

At any rate. I was really hoping the effect on infantry would be a simple one to carry over, or atleast simulate in a similar fashion to vehicles. This kind of sucks. Having cyborgs be vulnerable to EMP would have been more reason to buff them and make them something really fearsome to go up against. Atleast the Reaper still functions like a vehicle, as far as I know, so it should be effected by EMP all the same.

Guest Generalcamo

I was thinking of something else: Have only cyborgs go into the reaper. To balance this change, make it so the reaper is 500 less then TS, which is the cost of a cyborg.

you mean

if(_stricmp(Commands->Get_Preset_Name(obj),"NOD_Cyborg")

{

Attach_Script(obj,KAK_Freeze_Object,0);

}

as you don't want people to force a bot

You mean

if(!_stricmp(Commands->Get_Preset_Name(obj),"NOD_Cyborg"))
{
  Attach_Script(obj,KAK_Freeze_Object,"");
}

Although you would want to use a custom freeze script that spawns an invisible object at the position where the Cyborg is, this causes it to get stuck. The KAK_Freeze_Object script just resets a person's position if I remember correctly via Set_Position, so a player will be able to move left and right in a laggy way but gets teleported back to their position after 0.5 seconds or so. It doesn't work that well online for that reason.

Edited by ma1kel

ehh you compare it so that the it'll attach the script if it's not the cyborg.

but yeah a custom script is better. and personally i would remove the weapon temporary too but safe the amount of ammo you had and reuse that when free.

No, the return value of strcmp is 0 when both strings are equal. Which means you're doing that. I'd go with removing ammo and restoring it later instead, it uses less netcode and there won't be any unexpected things happening with the removing or readding the weapon later on because that doesn't have to be done.

See http://codepad.org/uMtgHB7e for strcmp() behavior.

Edited by ma1kel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...