Dev.Blog 4 - Above the Ranks (11/14/2011)

Wallywood

Splash doesnt work properly if there's lag because it gets calculated by the server as where direct damage isn't calculated, the client just tells the server he hit something. You'll also probably be able to do substantial damage to people hiding behind trees, certain thin walls and small rocks with it. I don't think you can have the weapon do lots of damage to vehicles without it insta-killing infantry, as splash is part of the explosion settings of a projectile and it doesn't involve the armor settings from armor.ini as far as I know.

It's still worth testing this, even if it's just to know what happens if you have weapon that does no actual damage, just splash damage. It could have some interesting results that are worth noting. Explosions (which control splash and screen shake) are pretty inaccurate on the engine, the Renegade Resurrection server software has an option to make "explosions distance and damgage calculation much more precise" and it greatly reduces the splash the Artillery does in Renegade, especially in Z-height,

Edited by ma1kel

Guest Pushwall
Splash doesnt work properly if there's lag because it gets calculated by the server as where direct damage isn't calculated, the client just tells the server he hit something.

That might be a problem... I notice it a lot with the APB Tesla Tank which randomly deals half of its actual damage to vehicles.

You'll also probably be able to do substantial damage to people hiding behind trees, certain thin walls and small rocks with it.

It's a railgun, it should have SOME penetration power at least. Though it's pretty funny how inconsistent it is in TS, you can fire straight through multiple buildings with one shot to hit a light infantry, and heavily damage all the buildings in the process, but the projectile can still be stopped dead by a slight bump in a road.

Edited by Pushwall

In Renegade the armor types on vehicles are set so the damage they take from a tank shell is the tank shell's damage * 0.5 + splash (the explosion). Dunno if APB uses the same armor settings. What happens sometimes if you barely miss a tank or shoot their edges is that your tank does only that "shell damage * 0.5" damage without the splash, so Light Tanks do 30 instead of the 55 damage or so they normally do. It's probably the same issue as you're having and it's really annoying.

I don't care about how realistic it would be, it would be weird to be able to hit people behind thin walls, trees and small rocks. I don't know if setting the splash radius really, really small would prevent this without the splash lag issue affecting your ability to hit infantry.

Edited by ma1kel