Blog 9 - Still Alive

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Generalcamo

So, what happened to weekly updates?

Honestly, this is some terrible PR. Wallywood, the "Lead Producer", hasn't posted since AUGUST. Since blog 8, there has been nothing since speculation that this mod was dead. And then the only reason that this blog was posted was some drama that Wally and aircraftkiller were involved in. WHAT'S GOING ON?

Edited by Generalcamo

So, what happened to weekly updates?

Honestly, this is some terrible PR. Wallywood, the "Lead Producer", hasn't posted since AUGUST. Since blog 8, there has been nothing since speculation that this mod was dead. And then the only reason that this blog was posted was some drama that Wally and aircraftkiller were involved in. WHAT'S GOING ON?

Christmas and the Holidays happened. With working 70 plus hours a week, it's been really hard to get time to get things done. I've have been in contact with Teamwolf and we're working on cooking a few things up. Consider this the silence before the ion storm. But as always good to see you're still around. :smug:

Cooking...eh? :golfclap:

I tested the last version with the previous team a year ago and it was ok (Air combat was horribly imbalanced).

I hope this new version has a little more charm (and better wolverine combat). :sg:

Edited by Raptor29aa

• 1 month later...
Cooking...eh? :golfclap:

I tested the last version with the previous team a year ago and it was ok (Air combat was horribly imbalanced).

I hope this new version has a little more charm (and better wolverine combat). :sg:

good times :p

I still have some pictures from the old beta... I wish I could exhibit them.

Man I lost that beta (had to reformat hard drive) I already miss playing it soo much.

At least you guys could show a photo of a Titan or a Cyborn or something.

Edited by NodFan

Guest Generalcamo
By the way, why did they ever delete the download-links for the last Reborn Beta?? Now that I'm a tester, I want to try it soooo badly... :sweatdrop:

Let me tell you why:

The last reborn beta was completely botched and ruined thanks to the actions of our "long-time friend" blackwolf, who ended up leaking it 2 weeks later. Here are examples of the problems:

Any kind of 4.0 logic was broken, as blackwolf used an old version of level edit for that "special" beta.

Water was broken, therefore allowing ANY unit to drive on it.

Underground logic didn't work right

Most 4.0 scripts didn't come through, which meant broken functionality for most things.

(Saberhawk thankfully knew that that was going to happen, and kept a backup IIRC)

That was the beta in which the machinegun for the Tick Tank was removed. But they forgot to remove the bones, so tank shells fired out of the machine gun...

Some graphics for terrain and whatnot were broken and ugly

So there you have it, why the beta isn't given to you guys.

By the way, why did they ever delete the download-links for the last Reborn Beta?? Now that I'm a tester, I want to try it soooo badly... :sweatdrop:

Let me tell you why:

The last reborn beta was completely botched and ruined thanks to the actions of our "long-time friend" blackwolf, who ended up leaking it 2 weeks later. Here are examples of the problems:

Any kind of 4.0 logic was broken, as blackwolf used an old version of level edit for that "special" beta.

Water was broken, therefore allowing ANY unit to drive on it.

Underground logic didn't work right

Most 4.0 scripts didn't come through, which meant broken functionality for most things.

(Saberhawk thankfully knew that that was going to happen, and kept a backup IIRC)

That was the beta in which the machinegun for the Tick Tank was removed. But they forgot to remove the bones, so tank shells fired out of the machine gun...

Some graphics for terrain and whatnot were broken and ugly

So there you have it, why the beta isn't given to you guys.

Exactly, this is why its going to take the bluehell team a while to fix all this. You can blame blackwolf for all this, otherwise reborn could have been released years ago.

Unless I'm missing something here, I fail to see how leaking a beta equates to broken code. I remember hearing something about his maps in particular having issues due to outdated stuff, but I think there's some missing info here, otherwise I'm just not getting it.

As for "the more you ask for it, the longer it'll take to get it..." Allow me to point out what a load of bullshit that is. There were TWO blog posts in the entirety of last year, and one was just tester recruitment, the other featuring some models to show off and correct me if I'm wrong here, but regardless of how well they may have looked it probably hardly takes a weekend and a little boredom to produce enough content to have filled that blog.

I'm tired of people making excuses for why there's no content to be posted- When it's been an entire year and there's only been one blog with a handful of screenshots, there is no excuse.

It's about time someone takes responsibility for either gross negligence in communication with the remaining fanbase, or severe leadership incompetence.

Guest Gibbletsb

^ but 25% too harsh.

I'm sensing some majour fail in Reborns' future.

Until something is released, it should be called Reconceived. I'm not sure anyone is up to the task of carrying this monster to term.

Look, we've all followed these mods long enough to understand it's a hobby, that's it's freetime, that it's not a job and there's no obligation to appease us because hey, we're not paying you. But you should be obligated to uphold your own standards. BHP picked up this project and told us all it was in better hands. So far I have seen a lot of proclaimed changes to what Reborn was going to be- whether for better or worse remains to be seen because hey... You know what? We haven't actually seen anything. I may sound a bit harsh but when it comes down to it this place has engineered some fucked up methods of passing the blame around and making excuses where there are none.

When shit stagnates this much it takes a lot more effort to pick up your tools and start pulling that huge rock back out of the swamp you let it sink into. Reborn went from essentially two team members to quite a few and to me that just means it's that much easier for people to not feel at fault for not "pulling their weight", for letting others do work when you've done nothing, or for throwing your hands up and saying "well they're not finished so why should I bother". If you guys don't feel obligated to pick up YEARS of work and actually do something to it, then this project needs to be put down respectably or passed on so that someone with a little more time and energy can breathe life into it again. Or atleast tell the community where the problems lie so that it might be able to be outsourced to people willing to help and get things rolling again.

One reason why it pisses me off when this community tries to silence people or throw blame around in this regard is because it's my belief atleast that actually talking about the projects outside of your Dev-Team circlejerk might actually stimulate some interest in the project and actually motivate some fuckin' progress. As it is it seems like a simple goddamn blog is worse than pulling teeth, much less healthy communication.

"Community". That's what this place is, or is supposed to be. Communities are supposed to build on eachother, breed new ideas and help sustain a feeling of worth in something that is so old and so underappreciated as these mods. But honestly all I can think of when I log into these forums is that there's a handful of people here who talk to eachother, sometimes testers who seem to have some sort of connection, but the majory of actual dev-team interactions are lost because the only place you guys actually communicate is amongst yourselves on some Teamspeak or IRC channel most people don't feel assed to go find. I lurked around here long before I was forced to come here in order to follow Reborn and it's never had the same sort of comfort or camaraderie the old Reborn Forums had- there's always been something off/wrong about this place.

Mostly this ranting is triggered by what Nodfan said, "the more you and everyone ask, then the longer it will take."

There's a certain particular apathy for progress bred by pride where the more people want something from you the less you want to do it.

My advice- Get over it.

The only thing I've ever argued here is that it should be seen that we're all in the same sinking ship together. So you can either sit in silence with your hand hanging tentatively over the intercom button, while all we ever hear are warning sirens and the gradually increasing rush of water threatening to suffocate us, or you can actually tell us what the fuck is going on.

I should also put a disclaimer here- I hardly think the mod is dead. But it's clear there's either one of two things happening here- Serious lack of activity or serious communication issues, or one breeding the other.

Guest C0de_man

As an amature one man mod dev, i should say maybe there wasnt a devblog posted because they got nothing to post. For whatever this may be sometimes can be complex so its not always reasonable to expect an explanation.

Now i didnt really pay attention to reborn much, im kinda looking forward to it, well atleast as much as you can look forward after seeing it for years only to be dropped and knowing this shit engine somewhat.
However looking at the direction of APB i must say the communication there is a disaster. There is nearly no feedback at all from the devs, not only that but also there is no sort of mentioning what is or is not to be expected at all.
Now i dont know what is going on in internal channels or so, but from what i heard the coordination in the APB team is rather quite crappy.
Also, its not the first time i get the impression that the fanbase is being considered worthless and all the action is going on internally.
I cant imagine how things are supposed to go so well for AR considering APB, the flagship so to speak is left in the dust and how it can have all these neat gameplay and alll when APB is still standalone reneshit RA theme mod.
Seeing as APB is mostly the subject of interest for most non-devs and most of the actual established fanbase being mostly igonred it seems, i dont see how things could possibly work out with AR and reborn.
There might aswell be no devteam at all right now, if things keep going like this then there wont be much of a fanbase left either, not to mention its going to be neigh impossible to build up a new one.

You guys should seriously get your shit togheter, by the time we get a somewhat decent game people will long have stopped careing. Maybe you might aswell just opensource it.

Edited by C0de_man

code_man would be right for the most part, posting pictures of LevelEdit preset lists would be rather dull....

Don't forget Reborn has a LOT of models and whatnot already done and rigged and whatever... you've already SEEN all of that countless times. The stuff that was completely FUBAR-ed was the game logic and presets and whatnot, which isn't really something we can take screenshots of....