AR :: December 2012 Update

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Hello everyone and welcome to December's special update!
Bluehell Productions and the Apocalypse Rising team wishes you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Now, onto the content!

Tester Recruitment Open!

First of all, applications are still not closed, so if you feel like helping out our game by spotting bugs and filling player slots when we balance test with over 20+ players, this position is for you!

Either fire an email off to bluehellproductions@gmail.com/apocrising@gmail.com or pm either Chronojam, One Winged Angel or Wallywood on the forums and tell us why you think you'd make an awesome tester! Good luck to you all! :)

Video 1 - Conquest mode

danpaul88 has been hard at work, polishing the new conquest scripts. This is opening not one, but two extra game modes for us apart from the classic C&C style (destroy eachother's base), Megawealth and Invasion!

In Megawealth, your objective will be capturing and holding Tech Oil Derricks, which produce conquest score to your team apart from giving you credits. It's not yet decided whether these types of maps will also appear without refineres and an ore miner for each team but currently that is the plan.

In Invasion mode, picture a city full of garrisonable buildings. There are a few main squares in the city, these are the conquest zones that you have to "capture" (stand there and hold). E.g. Soviets invade an american city and the Allies have to try to defend it by holding the squares.

Check out the scripts in action below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3AZTGH5G0

Video 2 - Beta 2 testing session

Next up is another video. We've recently had a huge internal testing session, and Verti60 recorded it all for your enjoyment. Cheers mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pmsdmUGtuMo

Grand Cannon

DawnBlaze has decided to build this massive french style defense structure, so here's a WIP of it!

post-8064-0-17388300-1351431207_thumb.pn

Although the Grand Cannon won't be available in the first release, it will be included shortly after with all the other country specific units and abilites shipping with RC1 Patch1.

New Music

You thought that much content has been enough already? Not so fast!
FelipeCZ's been composing lots of music for AR recently. They fit the game quite well and excellent to listen to during play.
So here's another track for showoff!

Normandia Surfing

http://www.mp-gaming.com/ar/dt/NormandiaSurfing.mp3

Random Christmas Corner

Ending Question

We'd like to end this month's update with a question to the fans:
Would you guys want us to hold a live Q&A session on IRC every month?

Guest Generalcamo

Hello! Christmas update!

I feel as if it would boost your PR tremendously, so I would do it.

Conquest mode? Will this be similar to some of the domination maps that zunnie made for Renegade?

Also, any idea when you will stop taking apps?

Edited by Generalcamo

Guest TheMojoJockey

Well crap.

Now we can't make complaints about you guys not working hard ;)

Thanks for doing a stellar update and I can't wait to see how this comes along!

And yes, a live Q&A session would be excellent, with it posted on the forums after if possible.

Guest White_Hand

In the testing session video, a rhino gained rank while shooting at barracks. Does attacking enemy structure help the attacker to gain rank, or did that rhino killed a guy inside the barracks?

In the testing session video, a rhino gained rank while shooting at barracks. Does attacking enemy structure help the attacker to gain rank, or did that rhino killed a guy inside the barracks?

It got promoted by shooting the Barracks. The system is set up so you get veterancy points for damaging units/structures and not only when killing them. This prevents killstealing rages.

It got promoted by shooting the Barracks. The system is set up so you get veterancy points for damaging units/structures and not only when killing them. This prevents killstealing rages.

Yes, nothing more than not shooting your turret only to steal the kill shot during a Tank rush xD.

Guest Retaliation

Mmmm, that playtest trailer was well done. If I had any confidence in being able to be a good playtester I'd sign up and hope for the best right away.

Similar to C&C3?

Edited by Retaliation

Similar to C&C3?

IIRC yes.

If you have the time to test the game, you don't need additional skills, just throw an application :)

It's mostly availability, matureness and trustability that counts when picking testers.

Conquest mode? Will this be similar to some of the domination maps that zunnie made for Renegade?

Also, any idea when you will stop taking apps?

Think Battlefield-style gameplay.

We're going to stop taking apps on the last day of this year. Then we'll get together an review the applicants in the new year. :)

Similar to C&C3?

IIRC yes.

If you have the time to test the game, you don't need additional skills, just throw an application :)

It's mostly availability, matureness and trustability that counts when picking testers.

And here I was thinking I needed to be more active on the forums, you guys are contradicting one another xD.

Similar to C&C3?

IIRC yes.

And here I was thinking I needed to be more active on the forums, you guys are contradicting one another xD.

That's one of the factors we look for, being active on the forums goes towards trustability and availability.

Ya know, out of curiosity, what buildings do you guys plan on implementing in game?

Allies:

Power Plant, Barracks, Refinery, War Factory, Airforce Command HQ, Service Depot, Prism Tower, Pillbox, Walls.

Soviets:

Tesla Reactor, Barracks, Refinery, War Factory, Radar Tower, Service Depot, Tesla Coil, Sentry Gun, Flak Cannon, Walls.

Does activity refer to your posts or just how often you are on and/or how long?

How actively you participate in scheduled test events and react to smaller requests. That covers forum replies to relevant threads too.

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

But I also noticed that the Patriot Missile defense is ommited from the planned structure list. Is that just a typo, or is there a reason for this? I'm pretty sure that, between V3s, Paradrops, Siege Choppers (if they appear as a crate unit), and hijacked Nighthawks, the Allies will need a good AA defense.

I also meant overall buildlings, like are you mitting Battle Labs, Nuclear Reactors, Construction Yards, etc.? I mean overall in the AR, wether in this release or the upcoming ones.

Guest Generalcamo

I thought this was the Radar/Airbase beta? Why aren't construction yards going in? They are litterally Tech -1 compared to everything else.

Edited by Generalcamo

We have to prioritise buildings that actually serve a useful purpose for the first release. Construction Yards don't really "do" anything beyond providing a too-slow-to-be-of-much-use auto-repair on buildings... assuming we make them work the same as they do in APB anyway.

Guest TheMojoJockey

We have to prioritise buildings that actually serve a useful purpose for the first release. Construction Yards don't really "do" anything beyond providing a too-slow-to-be-of-much-use auto-repair on buildings... assuming we make them work the same as they do in APB anyway.

Smart.

I just hope no one comments about your RA2lism. (Ice)

Mmmm, that playtest trailer was well done. If I had any confidence in being able to be a good playtester I'd sign up and hope for the best right away.

Why not give it a try?

One of the biggest problems we have right now is a lack of players during tests. Just being there always helps out.

(Note, the test you see on Verti's video is an exception, it was planned a long time in advance, but normally test topics are only posted a few days before the actual test.)

Guest TheMojoJockey

Also wanted to comment saying I'm glad you kept the more cartoony style that RA2 was known for. (Meaning it seems more fun than serious, but still great!)

Even the APB system is flawed. I still like the rebuildable defenses idea, though since APB is doing fine without it, trying to make it work can wait.

And going back to my original question, I noticed that the planned buildings list doesn't include the Allied Patriot Missile Defense. Is that a typo, or is there a specific reason?

Guest Retaliation

Why not give it a try?

One of the biggest problems we have right now is a lack of players during tests. Just being there always helps out.

(Note, the test you see on Verti's video is an exception, it was planned a long time in advance, but normally test topics are only posted a few days before the actual test.)

I probably will.

This is reminding me of a post from when I joined the forums though. The path to BHP dev is player -> Veteran (or something else) -> Tester -> Dev.