Blog 13 - A Fun Game

Guest Chronojam

Guest Chronojam

For the April 1st blogs this year, we went ahead and simply threw out a whole wall of information rather than selecting a few choice pranks as we've done in the past. The APB blog was crammed full of raw info, frank facts that might leave you looking for the fake-out. The AR blog had some jokey Reborn teasers, and was a lot more obvious about it. The TSR blog was the actual mixed bag, and a lot of people were wondering what that's all about.

I've been busy and was out of town the past week, it's been a bit since I've had a chance to play any of the internal builds of Reborn for a while until yesterday. May 17th was the target date for the "release candidate" for TS:Reborn, and I can honestly say I had a really fun time playing it. One of my favorite things to do has been stuffing the base (and map, if I can) full of Mobile Stealth Generators, and I know a lot of the guys love stashing EMP mines everywhere, and lately I've tried to practice netting Jump Jet soldiers out of the sky with a Reaper (it's quite hard).

Now, keep in mind, there are still a couple things left to do based on the results of yesterday's testing. The build is still set to use many old stock effects, the infantry hitboxes need adjustment, EMP effects don't decloak Stealth Tanks, and the Reaper's nets might reload a bit too quickly. This stuff won't take long to adjust, though. There's also been discussion of some sort of launch event with various community personalities and website owners who've covered Reborn news during its development, so stay tuned for news on that.

With that said, here's a pretty slick new teaser trailer that OneWingedAngel put together using footage taken from yesterday's build.

Guest CabalCore

Oh well, not everything goes as planned, but you guys did a hell of a job putting this mod together, I'm glad that it wasn't an April fools joke. I can't wait to to play Reborn. :D

Guest SiminaI

I wait from 16th to today now just trailer is released :lol: . but Hirraken is right.

so, i guess a teaser trailer is better then nothing...

keep it up&kick f**king bug.

Edited by Siminai

Guest Hirraken

yeah but my one issue is, at this point, this game is so far behind its initial release date(not just months, but years* that ive seen the massive fanbase for it dwindle. and im under the impression that at this point i should just chock this up to the christmas list. everytime a release date has been set, it lasts out to be a year or more. maybe you guys should just release what you all have done, and release a patch for it shortly if the modifications are just small ones...give us last few loyal fans something to actually do, and partake in.

yeah but my one issue is, at this point, this game is so far behind its initial release date(not just months, but years* that ive seen the massive fanbase for it dwindle. and im under the impression that at this point i should just chock this up to the christmas list. everytime a release date has been set, it lasts out to be a year or more. maybe you guys should just release what you all have done, and release a patch for it shortly if the modifications are just small ones...give us last few loyal fans something to actually do, and partake in.

The release date we have in mind is a lot closer then people think. And years behind release can not be held over BHP's head due to the fact that BHP hasn't had it for the whole time. Plus I'd rather push back the release slightly and fix all the small issues because that could be the difference between a fun game that is only played for three months and a fun game that is played 2 to 3 years from now and that we will still work on. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Changelist
* Added cooldown timer to Jumpjet Jetpack toggling
* Added AA defenses for both teams on TS_Shallows
* Added vehicle blocker around the Conyard cranes
* Added no-digging zone to GDI base on TS_Isles, TS_Cliffs, TS_Grandcanyon
* Added dustish emitter to Sub units' digging/surfacing
* Added new menu sounds
* Added flight roof to TS_Snow
* Changed Ion Storms so they do not turn the power off
* Changed GDI PP internal smoke particles to perform better and have proper blending
* Changed vehicle cameras
* Changed Medic ammo to tracking and tweaked explosion logic, might work better now
* Changed SkinCyborg armor: now affected by Umagon's C4
* Changed Engineer briefcase logic: positive repair damage (buildings only)
* Changed Cyborg Reaper logic: switch to NET weapon by pressing Q
* Increased Devil's Tongue's cost to 900
* Increased Devil's Tongue's damage by 50%
* Increased Wolverine speed slightly
* Increased MRV range by 20%
* Increased Medic UZI damage by 25%
* Increased Vulcan Component Tower accurary
* Fixed fly-in direction of Orcas on TS_Isles
* Fixed rangesphere of GDI MSA and NOD MSG to not act as vehicles
* Fixed MSA detection arrow to only display for the detector team
* Fixed EMP mines occasionally not exploding (needs testing)
* Fixed bullet hole problem of gdi/nod walls
* Fixed helipad zones not disappearing after the helipad dies
* Fixed GDI Power Plant door stickyness, also is damagable now
* Fixed holes under the buildings on TS_Freezeover
* Fixed missing textures on GDI Conyard
* Fixed underwater-zone on TS_Isles
* Decreased range of Attack Cycles
* Decreased dead power plants' cost multiplier to 1.5
* Decreased Titan speed slightly
* Decreased Vulcan Component Tower damage
* Decreased number of seats to 1 on Disruptor, Artillery
* Removed Juggernaut from purchase menu
* Removed Pistol from Confessor
* Removed Cyborg's arm cannon
Also here is a most recent changelist of things that we are fixing

Guest Elsa

Actually, BHP Haven't set a release date before now, so actually, we're not behind.

Guest Hirraken

wasnt mening to be a troll-ish kind of person. ive been sticking around since this project was in it's infant stages. and it just seems like there has been nothing but setbacks for the most part. but i do apologize. and grats on the work btw. looking forward to usinga titan or a 'naught to rainsome destruction down. just hope its not more thena few weeks though.

wasnt mening to be a troll-ish kind of person. ive been sticking around since this project was in it's infant stages. and it just seems like there has been nothing but setbacks for the most part. but i do apologize. and grats on the work btw. looking forward to usinga titan or a 'naught to rainsome destruction down. just hope its not more thena few weeks though.

Hate to be more disappointment but Juggernauts have been removed for the first public release, They are too borked and we don't feel like hold up a public release to wait on one unit. But it WILL be patched in at a later time.

Guest C0de_man

So the april fools blog wasnt just a really really terrible joke?

Anyway its not good having a game with tons of issues and small annoying stuff, so its better to wait a bit for the devs to tie up loose ends.

No, it wasn't a joke, we always planned to release something on the 17th, subject to us having something shippable by that date. Unfortunatly we found more bugs and balance issues than we were anticipating and we decided to hold off until we're happy with everything.

Fun fact, since the Bug Tracker appeared on the forums over 200 bugs and other issues have been reported for Reborn, with over two thirds of those already fixed and many others being worked on currently.

Guest Omega79

Never ending Story :p

Once I was part of the team too :) (Coordinated parts of the Betatest ... yehaw)

With the first Reborn Team like 6 or 7 years ago ...

Always keept an eye on it ...

but now I believe its going to be out soon :D

good job!

seems like it changed a little since I played it :p

except for the idea, is there anything left from the first Team?

Some map or something?

Never ending Story :p

Once I was part of the team too :) (Coordinated parts of the Betatest ... yehaw)

With the first Reborn Team like 6 or 7 years ago ...

Always keept an eye on it ...

but now I believe its going to be out soon :D

good job!

seems like it changed a little since I played it :p

except for the idea, is there anything left from the first Team?

Some map or something?

Icetales will be making a comeback I believe. Maybe Ultimate Canyon too.

Guest Omega79

Nice to hear :D

Ultimate Canyon was a very nice map! Would be blast to play this again (at least for me)

I hope you gain a bigger playerbase ...

there is no game out with something like the C&C mode in Renegade :(

Guest Generalcamo

Another tidbit: Although you can't see the actual bugs, you can go into the bug tracker that is located in the tabs in the top, and see how many bugs there are.

You guys seem to have done a great job of bringing reborn back from the dead. I will play it when released, as I want to see the changes myself.

Also, you guys need a new BHP intro with the new logo.

Edited by Generalcamo

Guest CabalCore

So with only those few things to fix before Reborn's release. I'm guessing we will be seeing the release within the next couple of weeks?

Guest Hirraken

Hate to be more disappointment but Juggernauts have been removed for the first public release, They are too borked and we don't feel like hold up a public release to wait on one unit. But it WILL be patched in at a later time.

lol, long as i got the titan, ill be happy.

Guest KevinLancaster

I hope you guys don't screw up the release...

Where are the testers? I want them to testify about the state of the game: is it balanced, stable, and FUN enough for a public debut? It would suck to have another APB Gamma where huge amounts of people play for the first few weeks and then gradually leave because the game isn't enjoyable enough. On the upside, you guys don't have an established player base which expects a certain style of gameplay for Reborn unlike with Gamma so you don't have to worry about people leaving because you've changed it too much.

How is the gameplay anyways? Is it unique compared to APB? Does it feel right for a Tiberian Sun based FPS?

Also, don't add any last minute updates that haven't been tested, like you guys did with that under-the-table Scripts update for APB 2.1 that screwed up the aiming and prevented you from changing your controls.

(And please for the sake of the game don't force people to tinker with the Nvidia Control Panel to start it up. I swear I think like half the APB community doesn't know how to fix it, even if they know about the website because the solution is in such an obscure place. Catalyst should really make a news post in the APB launcher about the Nvidia bug in BIG BOLDED LETTERS so people can play again, if they haven’t already uninstalled it).

Will the server and modding packages be ready right off the bat? Since there is only one official server even if you guys managed to stir up major hype for the release many people might not be able to play it. I remember during the release of Gamma the main server was full most of the time and sometimes the second was as well. How does the in-launcher server tracker work anyway? I've never seen any unofficial servers listed so I'm assuming it only lists servers that BHP deems proper for inclusion, but couldn't you have it list ALL the servers people are running so that there will always be enough room for players? (If it already does this and people simply aren't running servers than ignore that part). Barring that, can’t you at least get several major partners on board to run servers for the game? Maybe contact EA_CIRE to officially announce it on the Command and Conquer forums? Allow people to get it from Origin? (That last one is kind of terrible, though – but it might allow the game to reach a greater audience than those that know about ModDB). Also mod tools would be nice to allow the community to develop its own maps, etc. though modding isn’t as prevalent these days because of the shift to console gaming.

Will there be a significant advertising campaign? I know you guys drummed up quite a bit of hype for Gamma considering how many people played the game at release; can you do it again, and perhaps surpass it? You guys will finish the game just in time for the summer, when yearly hordes of children, teenagers, and young adults are unleashed upon the world and allowed to do whatever they want for the next two months. Time the advertising and release properly and you could have a significant amount of them eagerly anticipating and playing the game and joining the community. They may play poorly and be immature at first but over the years they will get better, and they will keep playing as long as there’s new content through modding and no massive changes in updates. Thankfully, we don’t have any in-game features which would permit them to be especially annoying, such as voice chat, though they might grief.

Hopefully the game gets loads of (good) media coverage, and as a result even more players join the game, you guys get interviewed or hired or something and it picks up enough steam to survive the release of Tiberium Genesis.

PS: Please don’t have any sort of internal relationship fiasco during the release; I don’t remember any during my time here playing APB since the release of Gamma but I know you’ve had problems in the past.

Where are the testers? I want them to testify about the state of the game: is it balanced, stable, and FUN enough for a public debut? It would suck to have another APB Gamma where huge amounts of people play for the first few weeks and then gradually leave because the game isn't enjoyable enough. On the upside, you guys don't have an established player base which expects a certain style of gameplay for Reborn unlike with Gamma so you don't have to worry about people leaving because you've changed it too much.

How is the gameplay anyways? Is it unique compared to APB? Does it feel right for a Tiberian Sun based FPS?

Also, don't add any last minute updates that haven't been tested, like you guys did with that under-the-table Scripts update for APB 2.1 that screwed up the aiming and prevented you from changing your controls.

(And please for the sake of the game don't force people to tinker with the Nvidia Control Panel to start it up. I swear I think like half the APB community doesn't know how to fix it, even if they know about the website because the solution is in such an obscure place. Catalyst should really make a news post in the APB launcher about the Nvidia bug in BIG BOLDED LETTERS so people can play again, if they haven’t already uninstalled it).

Will the server and modding packages be ready right off the bat? Since there is only one official server even if you guys managed to stir up major hype for the release many people might not be able to play it. I remember during the release of Gamma the main server was full most of the time and sometimes the second was as well. How does the in-launcher server tracker work anyway? I've never seen any unofficial servers listed so I'm assuming it only lists servers that BHP deems proper for inclusion, but couldn't you have it list ALL the servers people are running so that there will always be enough room for players? (If it already does this and people simply aren't running servers than ignore that part). Barring that, can’t you at least get several major partners on board to run servers for the game? Maybe contact EA_CIRE to officially announce it on the Command and Conquer forums? Allow people to get it from Origin? (That last one is kind of terrible, though – but it might allow the game to reach a greater audience than those that know about ModDB). Also mod tools would be nice to allow the community to develop its own maps, etc. though modding isn’t as prevalent these days because of the shift to console gaming.

Will there be a significant advertising campaign? I know you guys drummed up quite a bit of hype for Gamma considering how many people played the game at release; can you do it again, and perhaps surpass it? You guys will finish the game just in time for the summer, when yearly hordes of children, teenagers, and young adults are unleashed upon the world and allowed to do whatever they want for the next two months. Time the advertising and release properly and you could have a significant amount of them eagerly anticipating and playing the game and joining the community. They may play poorly and be immature at first but over the years they will get better, and they will keep playing as long as there’s new content through modding and no massive changes in updates. Thankfully, we don’t have any in-game features which would permit them to be especially annoying, such as voice chat, though they might grief.

Hopefully the game gets loads of (good) media coverage, and as a result even more players join the game, you guys get interviewed or hired or something and it picks up enough steam to survive the release of Tiberium Genesis.

PS: Please don’t have any sort of internal relationship fiasco during the release; I don’t remember any during my time here playing APB since the release of Gamma but I know you’ve had problems in the past.

The answer to that question is Orange

Guest Gallade

This is the kind of mod I've been waiting for! After the huge disappointment when EA said Tiberium (the game) had been cancelled there really wasn't any alternative, until this bad boy is released! I am desperate for this, keep at it guys:)

lol, long as i got the titan, ill be happy.

Let me put it this way, the titan is probably my favorite vehicle in the entire game right now, it's hard to aim while walking, but that doesn't really matter, as it's a very nice unit. :wink:

Unless there will be some sort of major bug in the release version, which is extremely unlikely, there should be no fear of a screw up.

The testers are resting from a long week of testing. But in my opinion the game is balanced (save for some small things that are going to get changed in the next internal build). The game is really stable and the game is fun, with nice skirmishes happening all game long.

The gameplay definately has its own feel. It's not APB, nor is it Renegade. Sure, it has similarities with both games, but it doesn't feel like either of the two. As for feeling like a Tiberian Sun based FPS, in my opinion, yes, but that's something that's more for you to decide.

The only updates we're introducing are things that just have to be done before release. We've decided on a feature freeze some time ago and we're merely finishing what we need to finish.

I can't comment on the possibility of having enough space for release day or week, nor about having the server and modding packages ready. That's something for somebody else to answer.

The launcher is easy to use and it simply lists the servers it can find. Although I myself do not exactly know how you can get on the server list.

Regarding Eric (EA_CIRE), he's been invited to our community event, so he probably will cover the game on the CnC site. :wink:

Advertising is already underway, even though you may not have seen any of it yet. As for the massive changes in updates, that's not something that we're aiming for unless we are being forced to. Smaller, more frequent patches released via the launcher is what we're aiming for in order to provide fixes and changes as fast as possible.

There are no signs of internal problems, if anything, the team is doing great!

Btw, the next time you post, would you please write it without the big bolded parts? I understand that you want to let it stick out so we know what you mean, but it is not needed, nor is the ''do this, I want that'' kind of aproach you used in the post, as the post you use feels a bit hostile. :keke:

Guest KevinLancaster

:sad: Sorry. Thanks for the answers! But will there be some sort of workaround for that FXAA problem? I assume Reborn would have it too because it's on the same engine as APB.