Blog 16 - Recap

Guest Chronojam

I'm pretty sure, in Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, only Vulcan Cannons had a small stealth detection range. RPG's and SAM's didn't.

this is true, and infantry had a small stealth detection range as well, along with wolverines, and titans once they reached Star level

I do not remember units having a small detection range, and I played Tiberium sun alot. What I think you guys are mistaking this for is when a stealth unit scrapped up against another object, it uncloaked momentarily.

-

not confuseing it at all, its an acual upgrade on titans, wolverines, in the INI files that give it "detection" when fully promoted, and all infanry have it as well, there is no "scrapped" in TS with stealth tanks, get a friend to play a game with youand try it for yourself :3

Guest Zeta1125

Would their be a way to have the turret of the Titan always aim exactly where you have your reticle, that way if you have your reticle at a certain level and the walker is walking you'll see the turret auto adjusting itself to keep pointing at the same exact area the reticle is?

Concerning the wolverine, how about making the arms point more to the center, sort of in a diagonal fashion, yes I realize this wouldn't make the bullets shoot from the center, rather in diagonal directions but even if the bullets come from the center at least it will look like they are coming from the guns which are bent towards the center.

Edited by Zeta1125

Guest DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Yes getting tracers somehow for the wolverine would be very nice.

The bobbing and weaving of the walkers guns... auto aim adjustment would be very fucken cool. But I don't have too much difficulty with the Titan and fire on the move. You do the adjustments yourself.

I'm pretty sure, in Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, only Vulcan Cannons had a small stealth detection range. RPG's and SAM's didn't.

this is true, and infantry had a small stealth detection range as well, along with wolverines, and titans once they reached Star level

I do not remember units having a small detection range, and I played Tiberium sun alot. What I think you guys are mistaking this for is when a stealth unit scrapped up against another object, it uncloaked momentarily.

-

not confuseing it at all, its an acual upgrade on titans, wolverines, in the INI files that give it "detection" when fully promoted, and all infanry have it as well, there is no "scrapped" in TS with stealth tanks, get a friend to play a game with youand try it for yourself :3

Hmm, I never noticed that. But you are also wrong, because Stealth tanks DO uncloak when they scrape up against another object, this is also true for spies and other stealth units. I know this for a fact, because I've seen it many times (Civilian houses don't detect stealth, nore do power plants, but they uncloak units. That's my proof). I've played the game enough times to know this.

Guest Loyal2NES

Would their be a way to have the turret of the Titan always aim exactly where you have your reticle, that way if you have your reticle at a certain level and the walker is walking you'll see the turret auto adjusting itself to keep pointing at the same exact area the reticle is?

Concerning the wolverine, how about making the arms point more to the center, sort of in a diagonal fashion, yes I realize this wouldn't make the bullets shoot from the center, rather in diagonal directions but even if the bullets come from the center at least it will look like they are coming from the guns which are bent towards the center.

I can't see this working too well even if it were possible. If you're aimed squarely at an infantry unit and the cannons both point at it, the cannons will fire directly at the infantry unit's location... which doesn't help you much unless the infantry is standing still. If you aren't aimed directly at a unit (whether leading the target or momentarily losing focus), the aim will likely suffer the same issue as the Devil's Tongue does unless the infantry unit is up against a wall or something. And if you repeatedly gain and lose focus on the target, which is fairly likely, your aim will be kinda all over the place.

And god help you if your reticle gets caught on a bush or something.

Perhaps it'd be possible to make fake tracers. Similar to how the Disruptor currently fires a huge rectangular projectile which, in reality, has a pinpoint hitbox, we could make it so that the Wolverine fires two "tracers" per shot, one from each cannon, while the actual hitbox for the shot exists invisibly in the center?

It's not perfect, but it's something.

-

Hmm, I never noticed that. But you are also wrong, because Stealth tanks DO uncloak when they scrape up against another object, this is also true for spies and other stealth units. I know this for a fact, because I've seen it many times (Civilian houses don't detect stealth, nore do power plants, but they uncloak units. That's my proof). I've played the game enough times to know this.

i dunno what version oyu have been playing but stealth tanks have never decloaked at a powerplant for me or any building except for vulvan turrets or lasers. never had them decloak on civillian structures as well, im going to find my TFD disk and reinstall the game on sat and give it a try, but im pretty possitive they don't, and i know this due to playing the game many times over, and modding the game

Guest APB_ICE

Perhaps it'd be possible to make fake tracers. Similar to how the Disruptor currently fires a huge rectangular projectile which, in reality, has a pinpoint hitbox, we could make it so that the Wolverine fires two "tracers" per shot, one from each cannon, while the actual hitbox for the shot exists invisibly in the center?

It's not perfect, but it's something.

I was going to suggest this yesterday, but I realized that this has its own set of problems, mainly that it would be misleading to players who adjust their aim based on the tracers.

What if the Wolverine's guns were turned inward slightly, so that the projectiles went in a narrow V or X shape, out to the weapon's maximum range? This would allow proper tracers while greatly reducing the negative aiming effects.

Thoughts?

-

i dunno what version oyu have been playing but stealth tanks have never decloaked at a powerplant for me or any building except for vulvan turrets or lasers. never had them decloak on civillian structures as well, im going to find my TFD disk and reinstall the game on sat and give it a try, but im pretty possitive they don't, and i know this due to playing the game many times over, and modding the game

to update on my little test, stealth tanks DO NOT uncloak when driveing beside structures, i even made a small map with netural titans at star level and driveing beside them does in fact reveal cloak, titans without a star level the tanks drive past right beside them without uncloaking i have not modded any INI files for this, and the game version is 2.03

case closed

Edited by madrox8

Guest Mei Terumi

The Wolverine used to shoot from it's arm cannons with tracers but we found during testing they basically couldn't hit infantry because people would aim with the reticule, which is actually a dead spot between the two firing points so zero bullets hit the target.. if you tried to aim with one arm cannon then only 50% of your shots would be hitting home and you'd be constantly guessing how much offset you need on the reticule to be "aiming" at the (moving) enemy infantry with the arm cannon.

So we change it to shoot from it's chest, the same way the AR Sentry Gun and Pillbox actually shoot from the centre point between the two visual guns (since the AI literally CANNOT offset it's aim to compensate for off centre muzzles, as we found during testing...)

Cant you make it so the guns shoot inward with their projectiles? so both guns meet at a center point? This can be done can't it by not changing the model or the positioning of the arms, but just make it so the bullets just head inward to where the cursor is. Or that you allow it so it still shoots from its chest but the guns stil shoot and deal normal damage? or would that make it op? or can't you make it so the arm guns can be moved along with the cross hair?

The wolverine is really hard to aim with currently with the cursor bob and whatnot.

Edited by Alucard

The Wolverines problems actually stem from having a massive spray angle and really slow projectiles, both of which are fixed for the next patch.

The engine currently has extremely poor support for dual muzzles set either side of center, they won't attempt to aim "inwards" to shoot things closer to it and if you angle the actual model then you have an X shaped firing path where you can only hit things if you are the EXACT right distance from them, too close or too far away and the bullets won't connect, so that'd work really badly.

currently as in, could be fixed or changed otherwise? :)

Unfortunately GDI command insists on using outdated fire-control systems from 2002 even though it's 2030 and technology has advanced since then. We are trying to convince them otherwise, but these sort of changes take time.

;)

• 1 year later...