Stuff I make

well renegade originaly was far more advanced then its now. you could drop tanks from a map to your location, have animated HUD, vehicle entering animations etc. but after EA rushed them it went out totally diffrent. the e3 had shuttering lags, but why ea rushed them in a totally new game i dont know.

--
yes aircraftkiller because of the non cartoonish style i prefer to make a new mod. i dont know how much time you got and how far your character skills are, but i would like to see a new w3d based mod. maybe TT magivally fix the textures issue someday.

also your texture style combinated with post processing effects like sharpening could give w3d a totally new look: (wont even harm the engine)

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

Edited by rackz

Some old stuff I'm planning to send to Reborn, and potentially to someone here who's planning on building a Tiberian Dawn conversion that actually goes somewhere

ACK, you wound me.

Nice models though. I like the integration of the cutscene material into the lower level of the refinery.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I remember when you were working on Noddingham. With the new features from scripts 4.2, it could feasibly be finished. Though, with a lack of players, it would be difficult. Also, the ancient tools are difficult to work with. I still have the original source files from fjords you gave me. I figured out that adding two more temps to the thing would corrupt everything, and stopped what I was doing with them. I don't remember what it was though.

Weren't you working on buildings for APB at one point? I know that radar dish for the airstrip came for the radar dome you began making for it.

I was going to remake all of the APB buildings until my offerings of free help were denied consistently. They're still using my 11 year old buildings as a consequence of that decision. As a result, I ended up making a good chunk of the TD buildings. If I were ever to continue that trend, I'd have to remake all of the vehicles. Here's the MRLS I painted at work. It's someone else's model, however, but you get the texture style I'd be going for with this project. I wouldn't be able to reuse this vehicle, though, as it's US government property now.

mrls.jpg

mrls1.jpg

mrls2.jpg

mrls3.jpg

Here's some of the Renegade-quality models I've built and painted. These are limited to one 1024x texture for the main body of the vehicle and one 512x texture for the wheels, plus a 256x for the treads, if either wheels or treads are applicable. There's generally a maximum poly count of 800 triangles.

USCG Short Range Prosecutor:

uscg_srp.jpg

uscg_srp1.jpg

uscg_srp2.jpg

GMC Topkick tree truck:

topkick.jpg

topkick1.jpg

topkick2.jpg

My day job is nothing but making vehicles all day, every week of the year. I work with some very talented people whose advice I seek consistently in order to find new methods to improve the work I do. I'm pretty sure I could remake both the boat and the GMC and have both look substantially better with the same polygonal detail and texture sizes at this point.

are you working on a mod or do you plan working on a mod? so you do work for military projects, how about public projects? its a shame doing non public work :p and im sure you would do fast work so a mod would be quite possible without waiting years to be released.

Edited by rackz

Here's some of the Renegade-quality models I've built and painted. These are limited to one 1024x texture for the main body of the vehicle and one 512x texture for the wheels, plus a 256x for the treads, if either wheels or treads are applicable. There's generally a maximum poly count of 800 triangles.

USCG Short Range Prosecutor:

uscg_srp.jpg

uscg_srp1.jpg

uscg_srp2.jpg

GMC Topkick tree truck:

topkick.jpg

topkick1.jpg

topkick2.jpg

Those are some nice vehicles.

Got to say, the lo-poly six sided cylinders on the Topkick truck really stand out on that model.. especially when you contrast them to the nice smooth circular wheels and the circular thing on the back (which, bizarrely, has a hexa-cylinder inside it Oo).

Why did you choose to create nice smooth circles for some parts and hexa-cylinders for others? If it was a question of poly count, why not reduce the number of sides on the smoother parts slightly and bring the hexagonal ones up to match, for the sake of consistency?

That's because there's a hard 800 polygon limit for those older models. They're considered "generation 1" models and have strict limitations on texture sizes and usage. For the Topkick, the round parts of any portion of the vehicle are actually alpha maps. The wheels are capped with a single polygon using an alpha channel which gives the illusion of roundness - otherwise they'd be eight-sided cylinders. IIRC, the cable spool you're referring to actually has a hexagonal section in the center of it. If I had reference showing otherwise, I would've made that instead. ;-)

I'm not fond of Gen 1 models because of the limitations, but that's what our customer expects from us and it's consistent with the rest of the vehicles - for good or bad.

That's because there's a hard 800 polygon limit for those older models. They're considered "generation 1" models and have strict limitations on texture sizes and usage. For the Topkick, the round parts of any portion of the vehicle are actually alpha maps. The wheels are capped with a single polygon using an alpha channel which gives the illusion of roundness - otherwise they'd be eight-sided cylinders. IIRC, the cable spool you're referring to actually has a hexagonal section in the center of it. If I had reference showing otherwise, I would've made that instead. ;-)

I'm not fond of Gen 1 models because of the limitations, but that's what our customer expects from us and it's consistent with the rest of the vehicles - for good or bad.

There is of course plenty of value to knowing how to make low poly models, there is a certain art when it comes to saving polys and still having the model look good. For example there are a lot of 3D models that I'd have bought from 3d modeling sites and put into ECW if it wasn't for the creator of them carelessly deforming a mesh or whatever they did to make something that could have been 1,000 polys 100,000.

So, if the wheels are actually squares with a mostly transparent texture, how do you handle the actual tread of the tyre? I can see that working for the sidewall, but I'm not aware of any way to use transparency to turn a 3d cube into a cylinder. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just curious how you managed to make the tyres look nice and smoothly rounded without using a high poly count.

EDIT: Re-read your previous comment and realised what I missed. They actually are cylinders and you just hide it with the square cap with a circular texture... very clever trick. I wonder if we could use that in AR to smooth the edges of some of the tread wheels...

It's a very old technique that was even used in the beginning of Renegade (~1998 or so) - if you look at the old models that Eric Kearns gave me years ago, it becomes obvious. The Tiberium Harvester has wheel caps, for example. I don't see why you couldn't use it, but there is a tradeoff in performance with alpha maps vs geometry. With current modeling standards, I'd argue that wheels should be at least 20 sided but probably no more than 24 sided. It's very possible to have a similar polygon count to what you currently have by using textures to hide the lack of detail in the wheel hubs.

One of the problems AR faces is vehicles like the Apoc Tank which have an indecent number of wheels to drive its four tracks (are they even called wheels when they're driving tracks? I'm not sure if there's a proper name for them) so the number of polys required to make them all 20 sided is not insignificant...

It's a very old technique that was even used in the beginning of Renegade (~1998 or so) - if you look at the old models that Eric Kearns gave me years ago, it becomes obvious. The Tiberium Harvester has wheel caps, for example. I don't see why you couldn't use it, but there is a tradeoff in performance with alpha maps vs geometry. With current modeling standards, I'd argue that wheels should be at least 20 sided but probably no more than 24 sided. It's very possible to have a similar polygon count to what you currently have by using textures to hide the lack of detail in the wheel hubs.

There is also a small trade off due to multiple draw calls used by the alpha cap and the tread for the rest of the wheel. In addition of the performance hit sometimes those alpha maps like to show up in front of static sorted meshes, we used to have an issue in ECW where the fans on one of the submarines used to show through the water (which is a 4 pass (with 2 textures on each pass) static sorted mesh).

im wondering if you have done some building models wich you are allowed to show- but some we didnt have seen in the c&c communitys yet. i would like to see some military buildings if you have made some.

Edited by rackz

I don't see why you couldn't use it, but there is a tradeoff in performance with alpha maps vs geometry.

In renegade the alpha map is probably a smaller cost than shading the tris for a full wheel mesh (assuming it actually depth sorts)

In a modern engine with deferred rendering the mesh would be quite a bit more efficient... Unless the overdraw is ridiculous..