Squid rambling about Tiberian Sun

Tib Sun is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played which is bizarre looking back on, because of all genres RTS is probably the most difficult to establish a lasting, impacting atmosphere due to the player's detached perspective/presence- Part of the reason I've always pressured the makers of Reborn to consider a singleplayer portion exploring the desolate world through the eyes of an individual.

That concept becomes much more terrifying and real when you consider the fact that creatures like the Tiberium Fiend were roughly the size of a tank and were, to an individual soldier, an impossibly dangerous nightmare. I spent a year or so writing up a pitch for a singleplayer campaign set in the Tib Sun/Firestorm setting following the story of a Nod soldier who undergoes repeated cybernetic ressurections over the course of the campaign, losing his humanity, focusing on stealth and environmental survival mechanics.

The idea wouldn't pan out well in W3D well I think, so I moved on trying to pitch it to other projects.

• 4 weeks later...

I just replayed the Nod campaign for C&C3 and KW. I really, really despise the theme of Nod. It got so damn religious. Constantly referring to Kane as the "prophet" and Tiberium as the "sacred green crystal." I cringed every time.

If I had 1 wish for video-games, it would be that Westwood broke free of EA's shackles after TS and proceeded to make Tiberian Incursion. CABAL returns and wants to assimilate humanity and the Scrin? Fuck yeah!

I just replayed the Nod campaign for C&C3 and KW. I really, really despise the theme of Nod. It got so damn religious. Constantly referring to Kane as the "prophet" and Tiberium as the "sacred green crystal." I cringed every time.

Nod was ridden with religious fanaticism since the beginning.

If I had 1 wish for video-games, it would be that Westwood broke free of EA's shackles after TS and proceeded to make Tiberian Incursion.

Even if they still existed, they'd Duke Nukem Forever their games, like they almost did with Tiberian Sun before EA took them over. Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Nod was ridden with religious fanaticism since the beginning.

If I had 1 wish for video-games, it would be that Westwood broke free of EA's shackles after TS and proceeded to make Tiberian Incursion.

Even if they still existed, they'd Duke Nukem Forever their games, like they almost did with Tiberian Sun before EA took them over.

Last time I played Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun, it was not filled with religious themes like C&C3 is.

And we'll never know what would of happened if Westwood was still around.

• 3 months later...

Can we talk about boats and how they were meant to be in tiberian sun, but was not included (kind of like the forgotten were meant to be playable) because of EA rushing the game out after they bought westwood(the juggernaut was supposed to be a combination of the titan and their naval artillery).

Edited by Isaac The Madd

Can we talk about boats and how they were meant to be in tiberian sun, but was not included (kind of like the forgotten were meant to be playable) because of EA rushing the game out after they bought westwood(the juggernaut was supposed to be a combination of the titan and their naval artillery).

You forgot to play your....

ThreadNecro.jpg

So I played it for you... to keep the mods happy :3

Last time I played Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun, it was not filled with religious themes like C&C3 is.

The point is that Nod's ideology drifred heavily from being mostly secular nationalism (with religion mostly respected as "part of national tradition, but however with Kane already in a de facto position of prophet to be obeyed ("from God to Kane") that opposed UN's and GDI's vision of globalized world to religious fanatism exactly in C&C2 Tiberian Sun. It was in Tiberian Sun, where Nod's ideology delivered promises of divination, that was once political slogans (like "Peace through power") became religious mantras and Kane's being referenced as "the Messiah". C&C3 had us see this tendency to develop even further - Kane aknowledged formally to be "prophet" and a fanatical wing of followers developing in the Brotherhood

C&C Renegade (Made by the ORIGINAL westwood studios) had just as much (if not MORE) religious fanaticism in Nod as C&C3.

To arms, brothers! Yeah i would say so lol. But i agree that the cutscenes in C&C3 were pretty culty. But hey, it adds to the intended creepy factor.

What was that mod for tiberian sun that had Nod, GDI, Mutants, Cabal, Allies, and Soviets?

OpenRA maybe..?

The major turning point was when Kane essentially came back to life. I always saw C&C 3 as the natural progression of things.

post-5682-0-66511000-1437055626_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The final cutscene of TibSun Firestorm is pretty weird. Kane was in that tube and I couldn't even understand what Cabal or Kane said. Probably something like you did something wrong Idk. Kane was probably cloned there as Einstein says. He couldn't survive after what happened in Ts or Td. His brain is like a computer or something like that. He saved his memories.

Edited by AndrewGOLD

The final cutscene of TibSun Firestorm is pretty weird. Kane was in that tube and I couldn't even understand what Cabal or Kane said.

He said...

My...my...my... my vision has permeatated. My... my...your...my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your...my...power... our directives must be reassessed.

Kane was probably cloned there as Einstein says. He couldn't survive after what happened in Ts or Td. His brain is like a computer or something like that. He saved his memories.

In the complete and final canon, Kane is an alien. That would explain how he was present in the events of RA1 (through the almost-canon Soviet campaign), in Tiberian Dawn, got Ion Cannon'd, returned in TS pretty damn wounded, got impaled by McNeil and then recovered in Act I of Kane's Wrath, then onwards in the storyline. Clones weren't quite an idea by Westwood.