W3D vs UDK

wolf

The main problem is that the majority of the art assets are not up to par with UDK. At the moment, Tiberium is really the only mod that would recieve no harm from a move. AR is a close second, but structures would need to be redone. TSR would need a redo of all art assets as they are outdated.

TSR could get the foot through the door with old assets just to make a claim for the TS instance of RenX so another team doesn't jump in before everyone from W3D Hub. Plus, lets not forget about working on old Ren engine projects - the future can wait, the old stuff can't. Also, who gave them the old assets from APB/TSR to use in that software pack presentation?

The main problem is that the majority of the art assets are not up to par with UDK. At the moment, Tiberium is really the only mod that would recieve no harm from a move. AR is a close second, but structures would need to be redone. TSR would need a redo of all art assets as they are outdated.

Perhaps not, but they could serve as very nice placeholders. Just imported several buildings and vehicles using the source files from reborn and they look effing great.

I might even do a total conversion myself. :c00l:

Edited by wolf

I don't know. Considering the levels of lag many players already face, and that few may possess the means to upgrade, it sounds like an unnecessary upgrade that would leave many in the dark. What's wrong with w3d? It's dated but it works. And no offense, but it would be wasteful to further delay long-anticipated releases and updates any further because of a switch-over to a new engine when it was not necessary to begin with.

I don't know. Considering the levels of lag many players already face, and that few may possess the means to upgrade, it sounds like an unnecessary upgrade that would leave many in the dark. What's wrong with w3d? It's dated but it works. And no offense, but it would be wasteful to further delay long-anticipated releases and updates any further because of a switch-over to a new engine when it was not necessary to begin with.

I have to point out that if you have a computer with parts created in the past decade that UE4 on minimum is likely to run and look better than W3D because it actually takes advantage of modern hardware features.

I have to point out that if you have a computer with parts created in the past decade that UE4 on minimum is likely to run and look better than W3D because it actually takes advantage of modern hardware features.

My was built in 2010 and can't run any UDK games well, not even with the lowest texture detail settings. TBH i did opt for buying a studio sound card and went for a cheap graphics card.

You really do not need a soundcard these days if you get a half-decent motherboard, since most integrated sound cards are pretty good (unless you have a really big and/or complicated sound system, what do you have exactly?). You probably should have used that money for a better GPU.

You really do not need a soundcard these days if you get a half-decent motherboard, since most integrated sound cards are pretty good (unless you have a really big and/or complicated sound system, what do you have exactly?). You probably should have used that money for a better GPU.

Unless you're a music producer with a fair bit of outboard kit and sutdio monitors, hence why i bought a studio sound card ;)

Edited by Shnappz

Oh wow. Perhaps you could post your work one time?

Anyway, back to specs. My GPU can handle UDK, but not my CPU. Right now I have a rather low-end CPU (this one specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775.)I am highly considering an AMD, as they have some interesting technologies that seem to work better on 3d modeling programs (and UDK). Going to take me a bit to actually afford one though.

I am highly considering an AMD, as they have some interesting technologies that seem to work better on 3d modeling programs (and UDK). Going to take me a bit to actually afford one though.

Live in the US? I do a lot of builds and upgrades in my line of work. Hit me up in a PM if you need any help. Also good choice, AMD FTW :)

If it was upgraded to UDK, would it still be standalone (don't need to purchase some other game)?

My point regarding waiting times still stands, however. How much time would it take to convert apoc rising to the new engine? And would finishing a public release of apoc rising on w3d severly increase the time it would take to convert everything?

Sound cards do offer some advantages, some of them do actually decrease CPU load, others offer things like XFi support or backward compatibility for EAX. Heck, there area few sound cards out there that offer the ability to amplify enemy solider footsteps in some games. But I'd agree for your average computer user the built in mobo sound will be plenty good.

I'm no any more than maybe 3-4 years behind the latest and greatest game engines. What I mean is, are these new engines so new most people don't have the hardware to play it yet, or could anyone with a gaming pc made 2010 or after us ethese engines?

You mustn't just put the graphics a high or medium . Each and every graphics card has its own strengths and weakness so you must adjust the settings for them , secondly you find out how much each of the graphical settings effect you GPU , there are lots of options that can heavily slow down you computer but add almost nothing to the visual experience of the game . Example in Skyrim everyone put their render distance very low when it actully hardly effects the preformence of your GPU at all . Learn these and you will find that games look better and run smoother . My graphics card is 6 years old and I can play Renagade X on medium and it is a shit graphics card even when it was released . GeForce 9500 GT if you don't beleave me 2GB RAM .

The thing with w3d: It does not use your GPU smartly. Nearly everything in Renegade is done on the CPU... on a single thread (I think a second thread is used for texture rendering, but don't quote me on that). This essentially is a dual-pronged fork. If you have a great GPU but a bad CPU, UDK/UE4 will run better than w3d. If you have a bad GPU though, then don't count on it.

The thing with w3d: It does not use your GPU smartly. Nearly everything in Renegade is done on the CPU... on a single thread (I think a second thread is used for texture rendering, but don't quote me on that). This essentially is a dual-pronged fork. If you have a great GPU but a bad CPU, UDK/UE4 will run better than w3d. If you have a bad GPU though, then don't count on it.

There is a thread for loading textures, physics is on its own separate thread, and there are a few others.

AR is a close second, but structures would need to be redone.

Not sure where you got that from. The majority of AR's building models are high quality.

..I realize I did not mean to say structures. I meant something else. But I forgot exactly what.

I don't know the new engines systems specs, but on account of the comment that the new engines use the systems more efficiently and smoothly, would rts engines like the one C&C3 runs on be an indicator on how well it would work on a pc? Because I can run that one fairly smoothly at max graphics.

I don't know the new engines systems specs, but on account of the comment that the new engines use the systems more efficiently and smoothly, would rts engines like the one C&C3 runs on be an indicator on how well it would work on a pc? Because I can run that one fairly smoothly at max graphics.

Actually that's an upgraded W3D engine.

We could make a UE4 version of AR/Reborn/Tiberium work on an iPhone, the engine itself is not the issue.

The engine itself is about the most advanced, most highly optimised piece of gaming software in existence right now.

How it actually performs for a game is much more down to the artwork and game specific code. Render state switching is what kills performance in most cases (unless you're doing something stupid in game logic)

To be honest, btw, the difference between UDK and UE4 about 15 years of tech evolution. Mostly this difference is artifical, where in every new update Epics cut or block some feeatures in UDK same as fixing Bugs to force ppl to come into UE4, just market...