Mesh Displacement (Easy Terrain)

moonsense715

Author: Genocide

Skill level: 2

This tutorial shows an alternate approach of shaping up the basics of a map in GMax-RenX/3ds Max.

Make Terrain Without Modeling It!

Bored of Making Maps/Terrain? Well Now With my Tutorial I Have Made It Sooo Much Easier, And It Dont Take An Expert To Do.

This Tutorial Will Learn You How To Make Easy Terrain Just By Using Your Favourite Paint Package, PSP/Photoshop/Paint Or Whatever.

Right Reset RenX/Gmax By File>Reset

Right, Now Create a `Quad Patch` Object (In Standard Primitives Dropdown Box)

For Example Create One 200X200 And Units With 10 Segs In Both The Length And Width. See Below:

image-1-FIG1.GIF

Now Its Time To Create The Terrain.

Ok, Now Open Your Favorite Paint Program And Make A New Image It Doesn`t Need To Be Hi-Res For This I Used 200X200.

Make Sure The Background Colour Is Black And Then Choose Your Brush Tool And Change Its Properties To The Lowest/Hardness And Opacity.

Make The Brush Whatever Size You Want And Now Just Scribble Or Make A Really Detailed Picture, Up To You.

This Is What I Made:

image-1-MAP.GIF

Make Sure That You Save The File As A .BMP

Now Under Modifiers Go Down To Parametric Deformers And Then Choose "Displace"

Set strength to 100 and click the bitmap box (it should say none) now select the BMP file that you just saved

image-1-FIG2.GIFimage-1-FIG3.GIF

Finished:

image-1-FIG4.GIF

And That`s It! Remember This is a beginners tutorial, keep practicing and mess around with the settings and maybe u could make some excellent map, without actually modeling it....anyway ..that`s it . :)

moonsense715:

Obviously, it's a very rough shape that you get. Try smoothing it out or relaxing the outstanding vertexes to make the "cliffs" look less extreme and you might have a good map start that you can continue working on after converting it to Editable Mesh/Poly.