Multi Material texturing

This tutorial was written on how to use multiple materials on a single mesh or simply for better organization and flow of level materials within Max 8. Some westwood models incorporate this method.. I believe it was to streamline the original lightmapping process

**Should mention this texture method is best used sparingly. It can effect frame rates not used properly.

• Here is my level i want to texture with a multi material. The terrain mesh is a single mesh that i want to use a ground and wall texture on it..

post-10309-0-43860900-1425161849_thumb.jpg

• Next we need to create a new material slot, Choose an empty material and click on on "Standard" and choose "Multi-Sub Object" from pop-up

post-10309-0-85032800-1425161852_thumb.jpg

• Once created the material will load up up to 10 different slots, You can adjust the number of materials as needed from the "Set Number" tab. This where our normal W3D materials would be set and placed normally. By clicking the individual "Sub-Material" will bring you to your actual material

post-10309-0-30868600-1425161855_thumb.jpg

• Here is my completed material list i will use for my level. Using this method can give you unlimited amount of texture slots, instead of using individual material spheres in the material editor window.

post-10309-0-51836400-1425161857_thumb.jpg

Here is how to apply materials to your object while using Multi Materials, Simply drag and drop onto selected polygons/mesh

jvzbUA2.gif

Thanks and enjoy!