Do you enjoy your job?

I've been thinking recently. I do enjoy my job to a certain extent, i've got to a pretty good position for my age. It's almost unheard of in the logistics industry to be a depot manager at the age of 25, so i have a certain sense of pride. I also enjoy succsess, our office hit budget last year and we've had a fantastic start to this year...

The problem is, i constantly feel out of my depth. The responsibility and weight on my shoulders is mentally crippling. I am constantly worried about Profit/Loss. It keeps me awake at night with the constant worry and apprehension of what may go wrong... or what bullshit i might have to spout when i get asked why it has gone wrong.

I know i'm good at what i do, but the stress levels don't feel worth it a lot of the time... Most people will just say "Do something else if you don't like it" but i have a mortage and dont have any parental backup whatsoever, i'm literally on my own. This means that a stable wage is vital... otherwise i get all kinds of different financial anxieties/worries, which equal the job worry. Catch 22...

So, is there anyone else in a position similar to this?

We dont all have the ACK-life :p

I do enjoy both my part time jobs. One is in the IT dept at the local college and the other is me repairing and selling computers for the public. I hope to have a true business doing this one day but i think a regular job will have to happen for a while first. There is a moderate amount of stress with both of these, as people can be rather impatient. And its not good money (yet) either. I net about 10,000 USD a year. This is plenty for one person to live on but im definitely stuck in my current situation until i graduate. And i'll probably have to move away to find a good paying fulltime job as there are almost none here in IT.

I no longer work at the moment but I can't say I had those sorts of worries, I was in a stressful job with somebody I worked with but I enjoyed every moment of it because I knew I did some good out of it. I was a care worker in the NHS where I looked after the elderly or sometimes vulnerable youth and I am proud to say I did make a difference. Sadly I was laid off due to cuts and not being able to maintain that professional distance (it's hard to not care about people).

Judging by your posts, I am assuming you live in the UK. If your financial worries are to a point where it might not be enough, consider looking into state support. (Don't be ashamed, the system is there for a reason and you have a right to benefit from it) I would also recommend contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau for any additional support. You can only do so much and everyone should acknowledge and understand that.

I sincerly hope everything works out for you and I wish you the best of luck.

I no longer work at the moment but I can't say I had those sorts of worries, I was in a stressful job with somebody I worked with but I enjoyed every moment of it because I knew I did some good out of it. I was a care worker in the NHS where I looked after the elderly or sometimes vulnerable youth and I am proud to say I did make a difference. Sadly I was laid off due to cuts and not being able to maintain that professional distance (it's hard to not care about people).

Judging by your posts, I am assuming you live in the UK. If your financial worries are to a point where it might not be enough, consider looking into state support. (Don't be ashamed, the system is there for a reason and you have a right to benefit from it) I would also recommend contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau for any additional support. You can only do so much and everyone should acknowledge and understand that.

Hey Kai,

Yep i'm from London.

My mum is a care worker with the NHS... I have a lot of respect for people that do it. It's a huge shame that you got laid off. Without getting too much into Politics, our fantastic government has decided to spend over 3 Billion GBP on new warships. WARSHIPS.. while we're laying off people from our fragile national health service... PAH.

Yeah, money isn't an issue for me in my current job. It pays very well. It's mainly the mental price i pay for having such a huge responsibility on my shoulders. It's scary as fuck to be honest... I have over 12,000 Square foot of warehousing and offices under my jurisdiction and i've only been in the industry for 6 years...

I got promoted from "Operations Supervisor" a year ago and i've been in this position ever since. I'm still a teenager at heart and normally shy away from corporate bs & any kind of responsibility... When i put on my suit for work, i also put on a disguise, acting like i give a fuck about "margins" & EBIT :'(

/Rant over

Nope, I don't share those worries. I make video game art for a living. I bike to work every day. It's a relatively stress-free life.

I share the same sentiments as this guy. My work attire and casual attire are practically the same and I get free ice cream on Wednesdays. Although I may not get paid the most money, I'm happy with my job.

It's a mixed bag for me.

cons: Six and seven day weeks, more of the latter then the former.

It's dirty dirty work

Super stressful

Puts my transition on hold because like hell are these guys knowing I'm trans

Pros: I get to drive a forklift

I get to drive a different, more complex and fun forklift

For my first job the pay is insanely good

That overtime pay :D

Yeah i think i know what you mean.. ours is actually an Aislemaster, kinda like a Bendi but more heavy duty!

I think i've seen the ones you're talking about at one of our other warehouses :0

Look at us... talking logistics 8-)

Hey Kai,

Yep i'm from London.

My mum is a care worker with the NHS... I have a lot of respect for people that do it. It's a huge shame that you got laid off. Without getting too much into Politics, our fantastic government has decided to spend over 3 Billion GBP on new warships. WARSHIPS.. while we're laying off people from our fragile national health service... PAH.

Yeah, money isn't an issue for me in my current job. It pays very well. It's mainly the mental price i pay for having such a huge responsibility on my shoulders. It's scary as fuck to be honest... I have over 12,000 Square foot of warehousing and offices under my jurisdiction and i've only been in the industry for 6 years...

Yeah, it's ridiculous that we spent so much money on warships (yet we also cut the amount of troops/personnel to operate said things!) and other silly stuff just so we can look 'big' to Russia or other nations. Our NHS is crumbling because the Nasty Party simply don't give a crap about its own people. Losing loved ones to cuts is ... just sad and unforgivable.

I don't live in London but I reckon it's (obviously) the most stable part of the country where wages are just above the minimum but it probably also means more that you are expected to do.

Anyway, I understand the mental price you carry. Having such responsibilities take its toll on the mind as I tried to explain, I recommend looking into what help there is available, and if necessary you could ask your employer for lighter duties/time off (you can be paid SSP or some other scheme to cover costs for a while if you need so) this is your right and you cannot be denied that.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck.

I love my job, but I'm only making about half as much as you do, and there are days when I don't enjoy it (Like yesterday, I had to set up a jBoss server to match a clients deployment, half their ini files had java's location hard coded and the rest were using java home, that mess took forever to get to even print out an error message much less work). But on good days I get my work done fast and spend my free time working on personal projects.

Certainly do.

Sometimes towards the end of a sprint things can get a little pressurized however :f5:

Yeah... This is the only negative aspect of my job. I think it's mainly down to the unrealistic expectation of managers who think everything is "easy" because they can do it in an off-the-shelf desktop application. Some of ours like to make what we are doing but what they code up looks like a pig with no heads, eight arses and covered in poo to show us how "easy" it is.

I do love my job though and I wouldn't change my field for the world. Anyway, when I think I am having a bad day I just think but to 5 years ago when I was stuck bossing utter retards about in McDonalds. Life never seems so bad when I think back to those days, funny that.

Pff you haven't even reached Europe yet! ;D

Still working on my first real full-time job and so far I'm still enjoying it ^^

I wouldn't mind having more free time to do other stuff but I suppose if days where longer than 24 hours, we'd probably also have to work more hours.

I work in software development in the security industry and I do indeed enjoy my work. It can be quite demanding on my time and stressful at times but I work with a great group of people and that really helps. Plus knowing that the code I write is used by governments, armed forces, aerospace corps etc all over the world is quite satisfying.

at the moment i'm working at mc donalds to pay for the rent as i'm a full time student studying Molecular science and technology (i'm in my freshman's year and basically the first year is a combination between chemistry and chemical engineering and at the end of the year i choose what direction i take).

as i moved i to another dutch city i also changed mcdonalds restaurant and i must say what a difference my old one was really enjoyable with loads of fun collegues, this one is less fun but it's hard to find a job for in the weekends near ehre that doesn't require sales experience or requires you to go door to door selling all sorts of crap or gathering donators.

I work as a Stage Hand for IATSE and do a lot of random shit. The job is never the same twice, really, so it doesn't bore me to death like the warehouse job I used to have, and I also get to see a lot of famous people (who I never know, so I don't recognize they're famous). I got to meet the Mythbusters, so that was cool. Alternatively, Kpop bands have found a way to fully weaponize the screams of teenage girls, and it's deadly even in the relative audial-safety of backstage.