Somewhat old, but worth mentioning for a special reason.

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

EA Shuts down Maxis. Yes, we've all head this before? Same crap they pulled with Westwood

http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614

And then further destroys the brand with Tiberian Twilight or some other final nail in the coffin type crap.

Bioware will be next, maybe not for another 5-10 years, but Bioware will soon become a shell of its formerself.

I can see why people are frustrated but at the same time I look at it from a different view. Consider for example that Tiberian Sun wouldn't have released if it wasn't for EA's funding. Generals and Renegade wouldn't have materialised either and these are both games which is highly loved by fans and modders worldwide. Would TSR, AR or APB be here if it wasn't for EA? Not likely.

If it weren't for EA's acquisition there's a chance none of these games would've had existed, which I reckon isn't entirely a bad thing but I look at it as giving people a job with good pay so they can feed their families. Sometimes you have to play ball with the CEOs and other corporate political shenanigans in order to provide for your family. Consider that many of these studios survived for quite sometime and produced some rather wonderful games but most franchises need to come to a end, sooner or later for obvious reasons. (Looking at you FIFA, CoD, etc)

Maxis was overdue I think, considering its history. It went from a fun and amusing game to a cash cow, for me The Sims died after the release of The Sims 2. Good game but from there it turned into a huge cash cow with its ridiculous expansion packs that clearly held stuff back in the original game. The Sims was guilty of this but it was unique because the content was actually worth it. Sims Bustin' Out was pretty unique though.

The only studios I miss are Pandemic and Bullfrog. The former because I wanted a sequel to Mercenaries and the latter because I bloody loved Theme Park and Theme Hospital. (I don't miss the constant 'Doctor required in GP's Office' announcement though :v: )

Moral of the story, blame management for terrible decisions.

Well, Ray Muzyka left Bioware a few years ago, so the decline has already begun.

I wouldn't say it has started quite yet. DA:I was fucking fantastic, and I don't even like Dragon Age games.

Also just going to point out that C&C games after EA took over got 80% more balanced than any of the previous titles. There were actual reasons to build something other than Mediums, Heavies, Grizzlies, Rhinos, Titans, and Ticks.

Case and point C&C 3 was probably one of the best titles in C&C history in terms of actual balance and it only had what 8 months dev time because blizz announced SC2: Wings of Liberty. Kane's Waffles made it even better. They just couldn't compete with Blizz and sales showed it. EA suits are dicks but they know what is and isn't working. (but yeah story went a little eh)

Sims 4 was shit and Sim City was getting even worse.

My money is on Visceral being next. DS3 was bad and Hardline was even worse. Then if Battlefield and Battlefront doesn't step up the game Dice might be next.

Well, Ray Muzyka left Bioware a few years ago, so the decline has already begun.

I wouldn't say it has started quite yet. DA:I was fucking fantastic, and I don't even like Dragon Age games.

Also just going to point out that C&C games after EA took over got 80% more balanced than any of the previous titles. There were actual reasons to build something other than Mediums, Heavies, Grizzlies, Rhinos, Titans, and Ticks.

Case and point C&C 3 was probably one of the best titles in C&C history in terms of actual balance and it only had what 8 months dev time because blizz announced SC2: Wings of Liberty. Kane's Waffles made it even better. They just couldn't compete with Blizz and sales showed it. EA suits are dicks but they know what is and isn't working. (but yeah story went a little eh)

My money is on Visceral being next. DS3 was bad and Hardline was even worse. Then if Battlefield and Battlefront doesn't step up the game Dice might be next.

Balance is important but it doesn't make a game good... CNC3 sucked IMHO

Balance is important but it doesn't make a game good... CNC3 sucked IMHO

how did it suck

Its a shame, personally I found Sim City 2013 to be my favorite in the cities in the series (most challenging). The small map size was important to make it challenging as in older sim cities if you had an issue with money you'd just keep zoning more and more regions to fix it, size limit helps prevent that. The online could have been done much better, but it was their first attempt (hell, an actual in game chat that was instant would have satisfied me instead of the laggy region wall. But in the end I can't deny I saw this coming, lot of people black listed the game early on due to server connection issues, even after those were fixed hardly anyone gave it another try, so it was doomed from the get go.

Just didn't enjoy it personally...

a personal unenjoyment of something does not make it a sucky game :p

Clearly by me saying it's shit; I'm expressing my opinion about it, which could be entirely different to yours. I think the game is shit and you don't.

Just didn't enjoy it personally...

a personal unenjoyment of something does not make it a sucky game :p

Clearly by me saying it's shit; I'm expressing my opinion about it, which could be entirely different to yours. I think the game is shit and you don't.

hey now, no need to be all angry pangry with me, im not hating your opinion, im just saying just because you think this way dosent mean it is that way

not many RTS games are good on a console, but one i loved greater as a kid was Herzog Zwei, pretty much the only game that mimics that gamestyle is Airmech which is currently in F2P open beta

There's a lot of console ports of RTS. Tiberian Dawn, Warcraft 2, Red Alert, Red Alert expansions (Retaliation), Starcraft, C&C3, RA3. If I'm missing some put it down below. Heard that the last 2 ports were pretty good.

Edited by neko soldier

There's a lot of console ports of RTS. Tiberian Dawn, Warcraft 2, Red Alert, Red Alert expansions (Retaliation), Starcraft, C&C3, RA3. If I'm missing some put it down below. Heard that the last 2 ports were pretty good.

Supreme Commander 1 (which can actually overload an Xbox 360)

Halo Wars (designed for consoles)

Dark Reign (Xbox indie store... for some reason)

Age of Empires 2 (Ps2 - actually a very good port and bloody good fun)

AVP Extinction (IMO - avoid like the plague)

DUNE (+ DUNE 2000)

LOTR Battle for Middle Earth (okayish but meh controls)

R.U.S.E (never played)

Supreme Commander 2 (never played on console)

TC Endwar (never played)

Universe at War (never played)

WarZone 2100 (Ps1 - good control scheme and pretty fun if somewhat hard and complicated)

That avp game was actually pretty good (Abeit flawed)

I hated how confudled the control scheme was and how non of the units (marines at least) responded to being attacked right up until the very last second... kinda made you wonder if they knew they even had guns

Also insti failing missions because your comm officer who kept you intouch with the reinforcement dropship decided to go walkeys and get himself killed got tedious after awhile.

Aliens were fun, dragging poor smucks off to be hosts for your glorious hive, and by glorious hive I mean 85% of the level :D

Worst Console port (for me at least) was Supreme Commander 1, basically take the PC version:

• Turn the graphics to minimum settings
  • Limit the unit cap to less than half what the PC can handle
  • Blurr everything and I mean everything
  • Throw in a couple of unique units exclusive to the console (and make it so the UEF one is the only good one - infact make it gamebreaking)
  • Murder matchmaking with a pickax
  • Show PC gameplay footage at the start to mock your lowly Console experience

And the Xbox 360 still couldn't handle it, once you approached the max unit cap or if you had the audacity to load up a save made midgame then all the textures would turn shiny and silver, keep going and the audio would hang, and if you decided to launch more than three nukes during a large battle (with ground and air units) the whole game would freeze.

Handy tip, if you ever want to play an amazing RTS...

get the PC version.

Edited by DeviousDave