TSR Q&A Time!

TSR is firing up again and we are starting to really change some game-play mechanics. So we have decided to open this topic as a Q&A, so maybe we can clear up any concerns or questions you may have. This can also be a place to discuss ideas and suggestions. So, don't be scared to speak up. Any questions you have will be answered in a timely manner.

This is how we hope to have it work

-Visceroid will spawn randomly when a unit dies in a tiberian field
-Visceroid will not always spawn when a unit dies in a tiberian field
-Visceroid will attack any unit/building/base defenses around
-Visceroid will be limited to certain amounts on maps
-Visceroid will not grant any points for being killed
-Visceroid AI will travel around the map randomly

and yes it should be getting a new model

Is there a range to the AI's detection? By that I mean it won't target the nearest enemy regardless of location, it would wonder around until it sees something.

On another note, you seem to have plans to expand on the mutants which are currently only on Snow. I had a few ideas regarding hostile bots:

1. Have them on more maps with small bases, featuring vehicles, infantry, and destroyable structures. In each instance, there is something to gain from attacking the bot camp. Undefended passage to enemy base, free vehicles, resources, etc. As far as buildings go, they can be old tib dawn structures, civilian structures converted to base defenses, or retextured structures from the factions, since the mutants in tib sun had all of that.

2. Co-op map against Cabal's cyborg army, complete with an enemy base and cyborg bots. Select infantry and vehicles from both sides would be available (or just infantry).

I know that you already made a plan for tech centers so I thought that you will add them in the future. Will you add other buildings too? Like: fire storm generator, emp cannon( i think people would use emp tanks), watch towers, upgrade centers, temple of nod, missile silos( probably for super weapons), radars.

Mutants should guard hospitals and temples.

Are you planning on re-adding a modding section to the forum where people can upload textures etc.?

Whatever happened to the idea for adding a modding section to the launcher?

Any plans for a TSR and RA2:AR crossover map or event when AR gets released? (NOD + GDI vs Allies + Soviets, how awesome would that be)

Is there a range to the AI's detection? By that I mean it won't target the nearest enemy regardless of location, it would wonder around until it sees something.

On another note, you seem to have plans to expand on the mutants which are currently only on Snow. .

Uhh, that's not how the AI works. I do not believe there is any code for "seeing" infantry, only for range detection (also noise, but that does not work on the FDS and is not implemented in DP's scripts_

There are indeed plans to expand the mutants.

will u re added

e7f1eaeacd1b602a.jpgramjet

f70a265b2c89f2a6.jpgflamethrower

and hunter-seeker?

Not in the infantry roster.

Not in the infantry roster.

Yes.

Are you planning on re-adding a modding section to the forum where people can upload textures etc.?

Any plans for a TSR and RA2:AR crossover map or event when AR gets released? (NOD + GDI vs Allies + Soviets, how awesome would that be)

We do have plans for adding a modding section. We are awaiting some infrastructure however.

Same as above.

That's up to Wally and the AR guys. But I do not believe that would work very well...

Will Nod ever get the sensor relay as well? Nod's particularly vulnerable to their own vehicles if they're stolen, a lot more so than GDI. Just a sort of insurance so half the team doesn't have to patrol around base for a rogue stealth tank because one guy screwed up.

How exactly will the superweapon system work?

The enforcer needs to balance things out. On the one hand it should be anti vehicle and on the other hand anti-cyborg.

With the ion-blaster I see the possiblity to meet these requirements. It should shoot like the ion cannon from sydney (renegade) but with a 1-2 sec delay until it shoots. So the slower (and taller) cyborgs will be easier to hit (the ion blaster should do some cricitcal damage to them). But the other (faster) infantry classes will be a pain for the enforcer, like it should be. Vehicles shouldnt be a problem to hit with this 1-2 sec delay shot.

Is it even possible to add weapons with a delayed shot with the w3D engine? And if so, will this have a chance to be the choice for the ion-blaster weapon handling?

Binoculars have no benefit atm. How about it to have the feature to mark enemy units for the team like in battlefield? The units should stay marked for like 10 sec. You can only mark like 3 units with the binocular until you have to refill. Is it even possible to add a gadget which can mark vehicles for the team? And if so, will this have a chance to be the choice for buffing the binoculars?

Will Nod ever get the sensor relay as well? Nod's particularly vulnerable to their own vehicles if they're stolen, a lot more so than GDI. Just a sort of insurance so half the team doesn't have to patrol around base for a rogue stealth tank because one guy screwed up.

This could be sorted out by adding surface blocking zones in Nods base, too. This is up to the mapper

On another note, you seem to have plans to expand on the mutants which are currently only on Snow. .

Uhh, that's not how the AI works. I do not believe there is any code for "seeing" infantry, only for range detection (also noise, but that does not work on the FDS and is not implemented in DP's scripts_

Actually, the enemy seen logic does take line of sight into account too.

Is it even possible to add weapons with a delayed shot with the w3D engine? And if so, will this have a chance to be the choice for the ion-blaster weapon handling?

Well the Shock Trooper in APB has a delayed shot (or used to) as well as the officer in Renegade. They arent quite 1-2 seconds but I would assume the delay could probably be lengthened.

So couldn't the visceroid mechanic be abused by people purposely running into Tiberium fields to spawn these things near enemy base? Also, will base defenses automatically target them?

Also are Cyborgs getting another nerf anytime soon? I'm thinking maybe the problem is that they're too accurate at long range. I always find myself getting mowed down at long distances, whereas the other day I ran out of GDI Barracks with an Officer, saw a borg right in front of me, and I actually managed to gun him down at close range. Maybe the recent decrease to Officer's accuracy also has something to do with this.

The visceroid mechanic will be tested. They will be targeted by base defences though, it would be terrible for gameplay if they were not. It also would make absolutely no sense (Tiberium Floater that can destroy everything in our base? Let's ignore them and let them do that!).

1. What is the progress of vechile vetrancy ?

2. Could you modify TS_Snow so infantry can still attack via the back entrance .

1. We have a list of Veh Vet. ideas we'd like to add. We hope to have the Veh. vet. out maybe around the same time as the armor.ini patch

2. its still possible to attack from the backdoor. Just kill all the mutants :)

I know that you already made a plan for tech centers so I thought that you will add them in the future. Will you add other buildings too? Like: fire storm generator, emp cannon( i think people would use emp tanks), watch towers, upgrade centers, temple of nod, missile silos( probably for super weapons), radars.

Mutants should guard hospitals and temples.

Yes, We are planning for tech center, radars,emp cannons, watch towers and both superweapon buildings. Also most of them are already made. Some just need interiors and texturing

ldr58s2r.jpgpost-1535-0-98140200-1425661558.jpg

Stealth Generator 01.png

upgrade_centre_complete_02.pngsilo.png

Can't seem to find the pics of the Emp cannon or light towers :/

will u re added

e7f1eaeacd1b602a.jpgramjet

f70a265b2c89f2a6.jpgflamethrower

and hunter-seeker?

You may be seeing these weapons again in random item crates around maps soon

and Hunter seekers will be going in with tech centers

Me and OWA have decided doing easter eggs like that in each others games :) So yes, its very possible as for the modding section. I would love to see that come back on :D

Were working on re doing the MSA logic soon. And yes both Nod and GDI will have MSAs like in TS:FS

This is how we hope it will work

GDI- Points out / Announces- Sub / Stealth

Announces- Engineers / Commandos

Nod- Points out / Announces- Engineers / Planted C4

Announces- Stolen Sub APC / Stealth / Commandos

How exactly will the superweapon system work?

Well we haven' t got all the logic all worked out ...but what were hoping for is something like this

-Superweapons will be on a timers

-When activated Superweapon terminal will become active

-When terminal is activated, player will be teleported to an above view of the map

-Player will be able to fire the weapon once at any location on the map

-Superweapons timer can be reset by sneaking an enemy engineer inside the building and clicking on the enemy's SW terminal

-Superweapons timer can be paused by destroying the "Superweapon Activation Animation" from the outside ( Example: Missile Silo Bay Door, or Ion Cannon Node)

-Superweapons will be shut down for good if building is destroyed

-Superweapons will not insta-kill main buildings but will take them down to red health

we have a few more ideas with this logic but this is main idea

The enforcer needs to balance things out. On the one hand it should be anti vehicle and on the other hand anti-cyborg.

With the ion-blaster I see the possiblity to meet these requirements. It should shoot like the ion cannon from sydney (renegade) but with a 1-2 sec delay until it shoots. So the slower (and taller) cyborgs will be easier to hit (the ion blaster should do some cricitcal damage to them). But the other (faster) infantry classes will be a pain for the enforcer, like it should be. Vehicles shouldnt be a problem to hit with this 1-2 sec delay shot.

Yes... We are thinking the exact same way about this unit. We want it be as slow as a cyborg and as anti. veh. as the confessor ...but of course with the delay fire like the Ren. ion cannon

Binoculars have no benefit atm. How about it to have the feature to mark enemy units for the team like in battlefield? The units should stay marked for like 10 sec. You can only mark like 3 units with the binocular until you have to refill. Is it even possible to add a gadget which can mark vehicles for the team? And if so, will this have a chance to be the choice for buffing the binoculars?

That's a really good idea and maybe we can get something like that working :)

Amendment to my previous answer: There IS code existing for AI to only target in a sight arc, but it is not implemented yet in TSR. We may implement it, but since it is untested on the FDS, it will not be anytime soon.

Range or sight, guess it doesn't matter for visceroids (though the mutant bots on Snow do seem to be limited by sight. They know where you are at all times once they target you, but you could be behind the building and they won't act). I was just wondering if one could spawn in some secluded corner on a big map and target something far away that happens to be the closest.

Are there any plans to include unused stuff from the beta version of Tiberian Sun in TS: Reborn, like GDI's command center or the Dropship Bay?

(see http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=477.0 )

Have there been considerations to feature things like the Kodiak, the Montauk or the crashed Scrin ship in one way or the other?

How will blue tiberium work in TSR once implemented?

Are there any plans to feature more tiberium flora and fauna (besides of the visceroid) in TSR?

Are there any plans to include unused stuff from the beta version of Tiberian Sun in TS: Reborn, like GDI's command center or the Dropship Bay?

(see http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=477.0 )

Have there been considerations to feature things like the Kodiak, the Montauk or the crashed Scrin ship in one way or the other?

How will blue tiberium work in TSR once implemented?

Are there any plans to feature more tiberium flora and fauna (besides of the visceroid) in TSR?

We already have the chameleon spy (completely different, but he will regain some of his TS abilities via the Sabotage beacon), however the stuff you posted would not fit. We discussed potentially merging the upgrade center and the radar, but decided against it since some mappers would want an upgrade center but NOT a radar. The threat rating node would be absolutely useless in TSR as well. The only way I can think to implement it is when it dies, it replaces the base defence scripts with the old "dumb" scripts, but this would leave GDI at a disadvantage compared to Nod.

The Kodiak and Montauk may appear in some maps.

Not stated yet.

Yes.

I pitched the idea in chat of a map that's part infantry only fighting inside the crashed scrin ship. Kind of like a map I saw on Crystal Wars (C&C 3 on w3d engine) where the center between the two bases in inf only and there's vehicle areas on either side. Maybe have some goodies or easter eggs hidden around to encourage exploring the inside.

I pitched the idea in chat of a map that's part infantry only fighting inside the crashed scrin ship. Kind of like a map I saw on Crystal Wars (C&C 3 on w3d engine) where the center between the two bases in inf only and there's vehicle areas on either side. Maybe have some goodies or easter eggs hidden around to encourage exploring the inside.

I always had the fear, that fps would drop drastically when you look from your base towards the scrinship (or kodiak) with interior and at the same time the enemy base behind has to be rendered, too.

TS_OmegaCity for example is designed in the way, that the distance between the bases is high enough, so if you are in your base, the enemy base wont be rendered to save fps for the detailed city.

These are things you have to keep in mind, when creating a map. Otherwise the whole effort could be for nothing.

I always had the fear, that fps would drop drastically when you look from your base towards the scrinship (or kodiak) with interior and at the same time the enemy base behind has to be rendered, too.

TS_OmegaCity for example is designed in the way, that the distance between the bases is high enough, so if you are in your base, the enemy base wont be rendered to save fps for the detailed city.

These are things you have to keep in mind, when creating a map. Otherwise the whole effort could be for nothing.

Or we could LOD or VIS the interior.

Or we could LOD or VIS the interior.

VIS hasnt worked with the reborn LE. Dunno if it works now.

Looks like that's something that will need looking into, thanks you for reporting it.

Hey guys! I have some ideas ( dunno if you will like them):

1. Tratos-Mutant leader. He can be your target in some co-op maps with mutants ( killed or saved, nvm), but he can be put in a mutant infantry list, having the ability to control tiberium lifeforms;

2. The civilian-an useles and coward bot on TS maps :). This guy can attack you if you are Nod, even GDI or he can give you a mission and as reward, you will get a vehicle, a weapon or veterancy. It depends ( this might work like the crates). Missions will be up to map creators ( maybe killing some mutants or destroying a building, idk). Civilian can hide in random buildings and come out when you are near them. Maybe he can have his own car and house. We shouldn't mess with this guy :).

Edited by AndrewGOLD