Mountain Cross (Renegade map)

Here's an alpine map for renegade set between a lot of mountainous terrain. There is 3 Tiberium fields total, and players will be able to purchase Harvesters and drive over to the middle field which will be blue tiberium, I was just awaiting the texture for the blue tiberium, and possibly if anyone has the blue and green tiberium spike models, but in ...... Renx format or .(dot)3ds so it can be imported with Renx. I'd rather place all my objects in Renx then to have LE versions because scaling is required for less repetitiveness.

I wont be adding Uv channels to the rock faces because most of the maps detail is viewed up close and it would look silly having large tiled rock areas when you're right up against most of them. This is also to keep drawcalls down. The map uses around 10 textures, and all objects that have the same texture are a shared material. The polygon count is at 319,078, but i had no problems with The_Canyon map which was at around 300k also and had no VIs.

MntCross1_zpswfgwdwaf.jpg

MntCross2_zpsudyaa7ml.jpg

MntCross3_zpsvgnu6cug.jpg

MntCross4_zpsz2gglkjp.jpg[

MntCross5_zpsz15nlym2.jpg

MntCross6_zps85gfctiz.jpg

MntCross7_zpsd0trz2zs.jpg

MntCross8_zpsuazxu06j.jpg

MntCross9_zpsyzoqbj5y.jpg

MntCross10_zpsw8ki7g5l.jpg

MntCross11_zpspogguf2w.jpg

MntnCross1_zps4gti0a68.jpg
MntnCross2_zpsix8q8h9g.jpg
MntnCross3_zpswk7uabbn.jpg
MntnCross4_zpsdiknabhk.jpg
MntnCross5_zpstzwhyosx.jpg
MntnCross6_zps0qkwqkqv.jpg
MntnCross7_zpsgrunmwco.jpg
Edited by Blazea58

Nice looking map. Too bad I'll never be able to explore vanilla renegade maps aside the practice skirmish map that comes iwth the game (under). Can't play lan with one player, and have no access to online play with renegade, eh.

Nice looking map. Too bad I'll never be able to explore vanilla renegade maps aside the practice skirmish map that comes iwth the game (under). Can't play lan with one player, and have no access to online play with renegade, eh.

Hey Mayerm, you can play one player LAN. You just need to set the maximum players to one. :)

This map is looking good, although my only criticism is that the tileable rock texture you are using completely wrecks the visuals. I'd be tempted to model out some cliff meshes and place them or blend some more textures together.

Hey Mayerm, you can play one player LAN. You just need to set the maximum players to one. :)

No, been trying that for years. LAN with 1 player just starts the match with controls locked down and "gameplay pending" flashing across the screen.

No, been trying that for years. LAN with 1 player just starts the match with controls locked down and "gameplay pending" flashing across the screen.

Uncheck "Dedicated Server" in the hosting options.

Hey Blazea, welcome back!

I have a much better set of buildings that I was working on at one time, based on AircraftKiller's Buildings Setup. They are not designed for flying maps, but this does not look like a flying map, so I could give it to you. Would you be interested?

Thanks for all the comments and it's nice to see you again Generalcamo. I would definitely be interested to see your better building setup, as long as everything's setup right and the interiors will be appear in LE. It's a good thing you asked because I have even considered redoing the uvw's for the buildings because of the extremely low detail. I just hope you have it in renx format, because I'm pretty old school lol.

This map is looking good, although my only criticism is that the tileable rock texture you are using completely wrecks the visuals. I'd be tempted to model out some cliff meshes and place them or blend some more textures together.

Well i wanted a rock texture that repeats good enough for areas where the texture's aren't lined up 100%. it kind of blends the edges better. I was considering on adding bit of noise to the rock texture to flush out some of the repetitiveness. The blended textures are being tiled at 7x7x7 metres which is actually a bit higher then most go for ground and closer objects.

I'll think about doing 20x20x20 for the rock faces though, but i do personally like the rock texture itself, and to keep drawcalls low, I'm trying to use the least material selections possible.

20x20x20_zpszyfqy5fx.jpg

20x20x201_zpsqap54rrq.jpg

I guess it at least improves the visuals from farther away so i might keep it that way.

Well i wanted a rock texture that repeats good enough for areas where the texture's aren't lined up 100%. it kind of blends the edges better. I was considering on adding bit of noise to the rock texture to flush out some of the repetitiveness. The blended textures are being tiled at 7x7x7 metres which is actually a bit higher then most go for ground and closer objects.

I'll think about doing 20x20x20 for the rock faces though, but i do personally like the rock texture itself, and to keep drawcalls low, I'm trying to use the least material selections possible.

Worry less about numerical values for the textures and focus entirely on how to make them look better. Especially consider using UVW Unwrap to manually stitch together the UV shells of the mountains so there's no seams. You have a good start but it could easily be substantially better looking with a bit of work. I can do some paint-overs for your images if you want to see what I mean.

Worry less about numerical values for the textures and focus entirely on how to make them look better. Especially consider using UVW Unwrap to manually stitch together the UV shells of the mountains so there's no seams. You have a good start but it could easily be substantially better looking with a bit of work. I can do some paint-overs for your images if you want to see what I mean.

I;ll admit I'm not an expert here and i still use Renx. Doing unwrapping from what I've seen is a pain in the ass, i know I'm working with a much more limited tool set, so for me it is what it is, i don't feel that it's too important to go back and edit every face for a month using renx lol.

Maybe in the future i'll actually try to learn 3dsmax, but for me i find the ease of renx just so fluid and I've gotten so used to modelling in it. I've tried 3dsmax a lot but i never really got into it, maybe because it was more overwhelming with all those extra tools lol.

AS much as i'd like for you to paint over and show what's needed, i know my professionalism is far from the expectations of 2015 lol.

The rock texture is ok but I would heavily recommend unwrapping your cliffs, it doesn't take too long and you get a much better effect. I'd also suggest a detail texture to break it up a bit.

Converting it To Reborn would be great! But I'd suggest swapping out a lot of that grass texture for more dirt and replace the trees with Tiberium infested or dead ones. Also the Tiberium infestation should be increased a little.

"Renx so fluid" lol when it isn't crashing haha. I use it sometimes and feels naked :)

I used to have crashing in renx but then i figured out what causes it most of the time was the detach modifier. Since then i havn't had a scene crash for a year or two now.

And as for the rock texure, maybe if anything ill add a detail overlay but other then that Unwrapping isn't something i can handle with renx lol.

Alright well i've been busy lately making some tiberium crystals of my own that are more like the C&C 3 ones, because i know renegade already had a few in level edit but they were the bare essentials.

I'm almost done making all the groupings of them, i think i still want at least 10 more small/large groups so there's tons of variations possible. The tallest crystals here are only up to your knee cap, so it's not as unrealistic driving over them when they will have no collision.

Crystals1_zps77ijykan.jpg

Crystals2_zpsiwgjzqf4.jpg

Of course i'll still have to place them in my fields which will be a challenge since they aren't perfectly flat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finally placed all my Tiberium fields although I think I could really use some better Tiberium ground textures. I need a blue Tiberium ground texture , the crystal I can hopefully just get Jerad to make a hue change for me, (I don't have photoshop any more) and other then that I think I'm tired enough of working on this map. I know there's plenty i could improve but I'll focus on improving quality and details on my next map.

TiberiumFields1_zpsgfnfrjsf.jpg

TiberiumFields2_zpsi41reldc.jpg

TiberiumFields3_zpsdomg6egx.jpg

TiberiumFields4_zpspfuqqigu.jpg

TiberiumFields5_zps1bfslhsz.jpg

TiberiumFields6_zpssg5pxn2d.jpg

So if anyone has a better Green and Blue Tiberium ground texture in Tga format, please send me them :)