S.O.S. IN NEED OF PLAYERS!

Guys, as you know, the server is almost all the time empty :excl: :excl: :excl: I've been thinking that we should encourage C&C fans join us, but not only. Tell all your friends about Tiberian Sun: Reborn, about this community and about the amazing teamplays we have here! Be proud of playing this game ( soon games )! For a constant number of 3-4 players on the server, we need 1200 members, so let's start this! :D:D:D

Also, those who have youtube channel should encourage their fans to play TSR.

Edited by One Winged Angel
Merged posts

Hey Andrew, the w3d community as a whole is in desperate need of some PR. The problem is; it's difficult to market it outside the community as everyone expects triple A quality in games these days. It's a very niche community. I'm hoping when AR and BFD is released it will spark some interest in the community.

Edited by Shnappz

I don't think quality is an issue. Reborn is more detailed, complete, and balanced than vanilla renegade. Just the branding. People don't seem to trust indies. On another note, the "stupid noobs, get out of here!" behavior I frequently witness certainly doesn't help.

TSR is a lovely game, but you can't deny that it's not triple A quality... That is the main issue. New players are used to games made on UDK or UE. W3d is niche... And unfortunately unable to render detailed textures... It doesn't have specular or normal mapping...

We all love w3d here but it's not easy to get people outside the community to love it as well :)

Don't want to to be... TOO popular, though. A certain level of discretion could be a good thing. There comes a point where you can't be really active without having too many game-ruining trolls and killwhores everywhere. Like when there's 40+ people playing at once.

You are right, but i've never seen 40 players on 1 server. The textures are not so bad, especially when you play at max settings. It really looks cool and it doesn't require a very good pc/laptop. The problems are that person like "stupid noobs, get out of here!" as you said before. Some rules and disciplin should help in this situation. Maybe people won't join because they see this game laggy when there are too many players on one server. Lag can only come when there are more MSGs and MRAs and when players abuse on them. Sometimes even ION storms can be annoying and laggy. This are issues that can be solved. I don't see a big reason for people outside not joining us, especially if they are C&C fans.

We should give C&C fans from every corner of the world a chance to play Tiberian Sun again. Maybe they will like it and will have memories about it and they would enjoy and love to play TSR. This idea is not imposible to make and it might work. The good thing is that I still have Tiberian sun on a laptop and I actually play it everyday ( skirmish and even campaigns that bring back memories).

Edited by AndrewGOLD

There's nothing wrong with the textures and the developers are amazingly talented IMO. I personally love w3d and it's general look, I have just come to realise that not everyone outside the community agrees :( it's a shame.

Maybe letting people know how stupidly easy it is to modify ingame textures would help as well as letting them know that they can share said textures to the world by uploading them to this website (whenever that section actually gets finished)

let's face it, everyone loves showing off what they have made :D

I mean that's one of the reasons I really got into TSR and APB (besides how F++king AWESOME W3D games generally are)

Getting onto Steam would probably help too, especially if you got Steam workshop support working (EVERYONE loves Steam workshop)

Throw in map making, with a chance to have your map included in the official lineup, Devs who listen to the community and sometimes implement ideas if they are really good as well as feasible and show off/stage some epic battles for trailers and huzzah, more players arrive for the meat grinder fun.

Also mention it's free and a very small download size.

Hey Andrew, the w3d community as a whole is in desperate need of some PR. The problem is; it's difficult to market it outside the community as everyone expects triple A quality in games these days. It's a very niche community. I'm hoping when AR and BFD is released it will spark some interest in the community.

Getting on Steam would be a huge boost to PR, most indi games are on Steam, Heck, even renegade X is trying to get Steam support.

My only real concern about Steam, (aside from it being Steam and the trolls it could bring) is how quickly could W3D staff get more servers online and how much traffic could those servers handle?

Take Fractured Space and HAWKEN for an example, both had launch events (re-launch in HAWKENS case) with great publicity recently and in both cases there servers were almost completely overwhelmed by new players

Could TSR handle hundreds of players trying to join?

It's unlikely we would see the same effect both previously mentioned games had (Fractured had over 15,000 new players on its second day, smashing their target and HAWKEN peaked at about 3000 players at one point [which considering it died, was a pretty good turn out]) however the spike in players could be substantial, especially if you make it onto the front page (no idea how you would do that)

Last thing this game needs is bad reviews by the unforgiving Steam community because the game lagged like hell and the servers caught fire.

Edited by DeviousDave

Would you guys be interested in getting a hold of some promotional material and being a part of a W3D street team?

The main problem with the games currently are that they aren't exposed to the public enough. With more people advertising in more communities, we can pull in more players! But to do this we need to get more people involved!

Question is, do we get one of those cool looking badges under our profile pic? :neckbeard:

I don't know how much I could do for advertising this, although I do have a couple of Ideas...

and I suppose I could lasso my friends and frog march them onto the TSR servers

:toughguy:forward march :sg: :sg: :sg: ---> TSR SERVER

Me My friends

Would you guys be interested in getting a hold of some promotional material and being a part of a W3D street team?

The main problem with the games currently are that they aren't exposed to the public enough. With more people advertising in more communities, we can pull in more players! But to do this we need to get more people involved!

Yes, man! It would be amazing :). Btw when people here about C&C they imagine bad graphics, maybe old. We must show them this game, on every community. Get all friends, from facebook and other sites. Btw i dont have facebook! Edited by AndrewGOLD

Now that would attract a lot of attention.

Yes it would! But I'm afraid that there's a lot of things that would need to be worked out before this would be possible. Unfortunately, getting a game put on steam isn't as simple as just uploading them your game for download. But I agree that if these projects could make it on steam, it would definitely help us gain some popularity.

Remember a long time ago a site called oxystats. It kept statistics on everyone who played on the server. It also had awards/levels for those who used different units (for example I was a bronze level sniper and gold level tank commander). I knew people that where on just for the sake of leveling up.

Maybe Reborn could develop a similar program for servers?

Remember a long time ago a site called oxystats. It kept statistics on everyone who played on the server. It also had awards/levels for those who used different units (for example I was a bronze level sniper and gold level tank commander). I knew people that where on just for the sake of leveling up.

Maybe Reborn could develop a similar program for servers?

Maybe.

one word.

UDK.

/runs :awesome:

UE4 would of made more sense... It's better.

Yes. It sure makes more sense to you. And i can tell you why. Cause Renegade X already released an SDK so there would be nothing stopping you from starting to dig into it. But people like you just like to sit in their chair and do nothing while bragging about the old times, So you need an excuse. And UE4 is the perfect excuse. That a port to UE4 would be much more work and that you have no starting point like Ren or RenX is perfect, cause you dont want things to change anyway.

one word.

UDK.

/runs :awesome:

UE4 would of made more sense... It's better.

Yes. It sure makes more sense to you. And i can tell you why. Cause Renegade X already released an SDK so there would be nothing stopping you from starting to dig into it. But people like you just like to sit in their chair and do nothing while bragging about the old times, So you need an excuse. And UE4 is the perfect excuse. That a port to UE4 would be much more work and that you have no starting point like Ren or RenX is perfect, cause you dont want things to change anyway.

Yup. That's why i've started working on my own Reborn port for UDK. Not having enough staff is no excuse... plenty of people out there interested in helping out.

The framework is there... the game art is there. The tools are easy as hell. The argument that UDK is "10 years old" is BS. It's still way better than anything W3D has to offer.

Edited by wolf

The real question is, can you both guarantee players will even play it? People still have toasters as for PCs as it is and all this does is segregate the community. Why does the game needed to be ported at this time? There are already healthy numbers of people playing.

On a side note, I remember back in 2013 during OWA's birthday there was 40 (maybe 50) people playing, it was glorious and it would be amazing to see such levels again.

The real question is, can you both guarantee players will even play it? People still have toasters as for PCs as it is and all this does is segregate the community. Why does the game needed to be ported at this time? There are already healthy numbers of people playing.

On a side note, I remember back in 2013 during OWA's birthday there was 40 (maybe 50) people playing, it was glorious and it would be amazing to see such levels again.

It's a bit silly to halt advancements in engine tech in favor of a very small minority who can't afford a 300$ PC that can run UDK.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives

Edited by wolf

But people like you just like to sit in their chair and do nothing while bragging about the old times, So you need an excuse.

My chair is pretty comfy to be fair, but I get your point. I'd like to do something on UE4, but I currently neither have the time or the team to do anything substantial with AR on a next-gen engine. Also there's the fact that I work on games for a living on top of AR, so sometimes I come home feeling pretty drained and not as willing to work on the projects.

There's a few factors that make this decision an incredibly tricky one for me personally.