Internet Speeds

This is something we are missing, a thread to collect internet speeds!

Post your shared results from www.speedtest.net here to show off how much money you have to throw at your broadband.. or alternatively show off how bad your internet is! I'm going to start off by showing off my internet from:

4 years ago (2011):

1583151886.png

Now (2015):

4428719716.png

Literally the only difference is that the ISP ripped up the old copper cables and replaced them with fibre optics using a government grant. Not much else. Funny how the upload speed did not change.. at all.

Now post yours, it can't be much worse than mine.

I have TWC here in my area, and up until last year I was paying $70 monthly for 30 mbps down/5 mbps up. Since then, TWC rolled out massive upgrades and now I get to have 200 mbps down/20 mbps up at no extra charge. What's good is that the speeds are mostly consistent even during peak hours, sometimes dipping to ~180 mbps download, but I'd say it's a good tradeoff sometimes since the upgrade is completely free.

4428830396.png

Ha haha ha! Internet!

4429062039.png

The Australian Government has a plan to replace old copper wires with fibre optics all over the country. When's it coming to where I live? "No current plans"

By the way, I'm currently on company level internet plan with the highest speeds Telstra offers

4429598390.png

Funny thing is my upload speed is actually decent when you consider that I don't have fiber optic...

Just a shame about the download speed :(

Especially given that I'm trying to download all 40Gb of Wolfeinstein The New Order.... 3 days of downloading a'hoy

I'm actually a bit jelly of all these speeds, to be honest. :gonk:

4429773067.png

Yes, what you're seeing is correct as I live in a remote part of the country. It's so bad in fact, that the server actually thinks I'm in the south of England in Weymouth(even though I live in the East of England). Now despite the stats, I can actually play games rather well, it's just the download speed is, well, crap.

The British Government is spending around £500m (the Tory government doesn't like to spend a lot on us) to improve 95% of the country's broadband infrastructure. This apparently includes getting fibre optic. Apparently at the end of September, I can supposedly benefit from fibre optic according to BT (British Telecom). Although to be honest, I'd be happy with just unlimited as I don't download a lot. Before I moved, I had 2MB and that was plenty enough.

So yeah, British internet is rather third world at times~

And @ le house:

4431251534.png

All teh copper everywhere. The internet provider in this county is the only one....by some political under-the-table deal too. No other providers are allowed. What other ones there were literally got kicked out. Really stupid. 15m is the highest they offer before you have to pay for a dedicated fiber plant.... Thanks obama.

My speeds over ADSL2+

4438687413.png

When I first moved in to this apartment my speeds were crap. After Telstra and my ISP (TPG) did a few things and fixed some problems (and after I replaced a crappy DSL router with a nice new one) my speeds got better (and more importantly my internet got more stable). I got a call from TPG a while back saying "you can now get NBN Fiber from TPG" (which would have given me lightning fast speeds) except that they were giving me information based on my old apartment (where NBN is now available) and not my new one (where there are no plans to do anything for who knows how long)

Still, the speeds I get are perfectly fine for games and downloading (even large items like Steam or Origin games or downloads of W3D mods/always files/etc).

I specifically made sure that the internet options for the apartments I looked at where acceptable so I wouldn't be stuck unable to get ADSL (or stuck on Telstra "pair gain" equipment and limited to slow/expensive ADSL).

4449287215.png

4G network - I use my phone as my home wifi. I live out in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere (even by standards of Finland this is the middle of nowhere) and the only copper-wire ISP that services this area is able to provide only the bare minimum 1Mbps connection.

On the whole I'm happy with the 4G net -- except that I live fairly close to a military training ground and everytime they do field training my internet goes to absolute horseshit. Luckily it's only a few times an year and for a few days at most.

4470517731.png

America don't you love her and her crappy internet.(Also why is it so highly rated [i gave it the worst I could give it]?)

And @ le house:

4431251534.png

All teh copper everywhere. The internet provider in this county is the only one....by some political under-the-table deal too. No other providers are allowed. What other ones there were literally got kicked out. Really stupid. 15m is the highest they offer before you have to pay for a dedicated fiber plant.... Thanks obama.

The next guy might be just as bad... but at least I have a better upload speed than you.(and my ping and download is worse.[seriously Obama])

1? (I don't remember if this was my first post or not.)

Edited by Isaac The Madd

• 1 month later...