20 Years of Command & Conquer

OWA

Just in case you guys have been living under a rock this year, Command & Conquer turns 20 years old today! We've got a lot to thank the franchise for, since if it wasn't for it's existence, then our mods wouldn't exist! Command and Conquer has shaped a lot of our lives, so we'd all like to take this opportunity to celebrate the anniversary of this awesome game series!

v0mA0qw.jpg

Special thanks to the guys running the Westwood Studios Facebook page for this awesome image!

Also, if you'd like to check out something awesome, check out drunkill's celebratory imgur album here. It contains some great images and interesting facts!

I feel so old.

That's because you are. :v

Nah, but in all seriousness, it's great how the franchise has managed to reach 20 years even though the past few years have been extremely quite and the future looks bleaker than it did during the 2004 - 2006 years on the official front of things. Currently, it's the community (what's left of it) and their mods and other projects that keep Cnc alive and fun.

EA has, other than Tiberian Alliances, done nothing with Command and Conquer after canceling Cnc 2013/Gen2. (Although I didn't like the look of the gameplay from the few video's I have seen.) So what does the future hold? Will EA resurrect Cnc RTS and/or FPS? Or will they keep Tib Alliances running and pretty much archive the original franchise? I don't know, but I do know that we're pretty much all here because of the old games we hold so dear.

My earliest memory is me sitting on my late father's lap while he taught me how to play C&C. I have literally grown up with this franchise... It's like a little brother to me. I'm so sad that EA is just letting it sit around and gather dust. I long for the day that it gets picked up by a team with passion, and revives the series to its former glory. Until then, well, at least the fans are keeping the life in the series.

I love cnc , I'm certain it has had quite an effect on me .

One of the few nightmares I had as a child always ends with the siren and nuclear explosing from RA2 .

It scared me badly when I was young being 6 or 7 .

The first game I owned was Genrals .

I'll all aways play cnc , I'm especially looking forward to playing OpenRA for the next few years .

Like Killing You, I grew up with C&C. RA1 was the second game that I ever played, after Wolfenstein 3D. It was so difficult as a child and I spent countless hours with Dad playing it and letting him teach me new strategies that he had figured out. The good ol' days. I remember my excitement when i learned that HOLY CRAP THERE'S A RED ALERT 2!?!? - when i saw the 5-in-1 big orange boxed package on a local store shelf. It was then that I learned that there were other games as well. I had never heard of tiberian sun or any of the others at that point. I had to have them! From that day onward, I was a true C&C fan. Here's to another 20 years of C&C! *raises glass to monitor* It looks like it's up to us the fans to keep it alive. Maybe EA will follow suit one day. Happy Birthday C&C