TSR Update 2015/09/01: R-Day

Tiberian Sun: Reborn has a new update out! Read about it and the future of TSR in the full blog!

Hello, and welcome to the update. It's been a while since we've had an update. We have a multitude of reasons for this, but also some exciting news, so read on!

Generalcamo's Life Update

So first I wanted to address my personal life. I'm not going to be as active anymore. I am heading into university, and I am unlikely to have as much time as I used to have. I actually just recently moved into my own apartment, turned 18, and could barely work on this project to release it.

TSR 1.5.0.0

So, on with the update. 1.5.0.0 has gone gold and is available for download! We have a host of changes for this patch, which unfortunately cannot be appreciated as I lost my entire changelog during the move to my new apartment (fun!). But I can at least give some information about the major changes:

Enforcer

As the Second Tiberium War started to come to a close, GDI realized that even if they could somehow manage to contain the Tiberium infestation, they would have no way to make any incursions into hostile Tiberium infested territory. As a result, High Command started development on a trooper that could survive in such an environment, codenamed "Enforcer." Using an improved version of the Power Suit that Dr. Ignatio Mobius and Dr. Sydney Mobius developed in the post-war crisis of the last Tiberium War, these soldiers were initially to be equipped with high power railguns. With the high cost of these weapons however, the decision was made to instead equip these soldiers with the Portable Ion Cannon Mk. II, used by the elite Drop Troopers during the war.

The Enforcer is equipped with an improved version of the Portable Ion Cannon, experimented upon by Dr. Sydney Mobius at the close of the First Tiberium War. It is highly effective against Vehicles and Cyborgs, but is not very effective against most structures. This weapon, while hit-scan, fires slowly, so each shot needs to count. It also walks slower than most GDI Infantry due to the use of an experimental protective suit. These suits are also equipped with a temporary JetPack that allows for temporary flight. However, due to the high cost of these modules, these are only given to the most elite troopers using these power suits.

Note: The model and texture are placeholders, and will be replaced as soon as we have a replacement.

Disk Thrower

The Disk Thrower had many changes. This was done as a result of player and tester feedback that the unit was not as useful as it could be.

The first major change is that disk throwers throw their disks faster now. This allows them to hit targets easier at range. You will also notice that Primary Fire no longer has a minimum range, which should remove a lot of the frustration.

Alternate Fire was re-done. While still faster than the Primary Fire, it now has a very large minimum range which should discourage its use at close range. It is also not accurate at all, which means that Primary Fire is still useful compared to this. On the plus side, the disk now travels further, which is useful for long-range engagements. Just don't expect to hit anything very easily.

Officers

It has come to my attention that the officers badly needed a re-balance. Elite cadres were just too powerful, while GDI officers were nearly useless. Initially, this was thought to be the result of a change to their DPS that made the elite cadre more powerful than the GDI officer. Testing however, revealed that it was actually due to the result of the Elite Cadre being way too accurate, in addition to his absurd grenades.

To balance this out, Elite Cadres now have inaccuracy. This isn't as much as the GDI officer, but it still is enough to balance him. In addition, he now only carries 15 grenades at a time. These can be replenished by refilling, but this should force Elite Cadres to think about exactly where they are planting these grenades.

These changes are still awaiting some feedback, so please let us know your thoughts in the coming days.

Smaller Changes

• Rocket Soldiers were nerfed against infantry. In exchange, he has a pistol now.
  • Devil's Tongues now have a clip that needs to be reloaded above ground
  • Mobile Stealth Generators now have a limit of 5 (from 3) and are faster now
  • Building Interiors were updated to include ambient sounds now

Map Changes

It has come to my attention that a few maps are unbalanced and disliked. Here are the relevant changes:

TS_Shallows

This map is awaiting a full remake, or failing that, it will be removed due to the low quality of the map itself and terrible gameplay state at the moment.

TS_Field

This map has had an extensive change. Tester and player feedback has led to this map being completely replaced with the old Field_2 map.

TS_Desert_River

This map is the old Field under a new name. Not too many changes here.

Infantry-Only maps

TS_Frostbite is still off the server. TS_Drought however is back on rotation.

Other maps

Some of you might remember other maps during testing. TS_Kombat has been cut completely until it can be completely redone. TS_Storm is cut until it gets its textures redone. TS_Pipeline has been cut until CTF can be implemented properly.

The Future

I'm going to be less active than usual, but I have already planned out the roadmap to the next version.

The next major version should be 2.0. We will be doing a near-full rebalance of the entire game, so do expect some major changes here. We will also be adding vehicle veterancy to this patch, which has honestly been delayed for far too long already. This will take at least 4 months to do however, so we are branching our development paths to continue to bring you balance changes to 1.5.x as needed. Don't expect too many new features, but at least game-breaking bugs and balance issues will be fixed.

That's it for this update. Expect more updates on the road to 2.0, along with some patch release notes as we get them out.

Good stuff. I just tried it out after this post of mine. During my brief playtime, I noticed the Disc Thrower is very weak against vehicles now. I'm gonna keep on testing, thanks for your work on this. I can't stop liking Renegade games and mods.

EDIT: I also noticed that the Map "Grand Canyon" all of a sudden has severe lag now.

Aye, disc thrower is very weak against vehicles and buildings now. I don't see the point of the disc throwers right click now either. its impossible to hit anything with it now, waaay too inaccurate.

Another thing a few people have brought up in-game is the new HUD. My biggest gripe with the HUD is that the credits and match timer are no longer in the bottom middle of the screen. Now whenever you use a purchase terminal you can no longer see how many credits you have when you're trying to buy something. It's nothing major, but I much prefer them in their old position.

Loving all of the other changes though. Very nice patch

Yeah, I don't like the new HUD much either. Maybe it's because I'm running the game on a lower resolution, but the health bar overlaps with the timer and credit counter, making it really hard to see any of them.

Also, I don't suppose we could keep the old Field as "Field" while Field2 gets some other name? Not a big fan of name swaps, like what we had with TS_Mutation, or the back-and-forth we had going on with the Confessor/Kerubim.

Edited by delta

Yeah, I don't like the new HUD much either. Maybe it's because I'm running the game on a lower resolution, but the health bar overlaps with the timer and credit counter, making it really hard to see any of them.

How low of a resolution are you running the game?

Damn it! Generalcamo is our hero! Saviour of TSR! I am more than happy with new updates! I agree with others about HUD with credits and time especially when buying its not so comfortable but come on its no bad. Other new details of HUD are too a bit strange but of course its new and all we need just a little time to adept and i think its only better than older HUD. Tried out enforcer great unit and. Of course its great to mention Devil Tongue DPS change which i highly appreciate (this unit ussually became a good reason for ragequiters to quit, screw the game and reducing online). Devil Tongues once were Online Killers but not anymore thanks to you. Elite Cadre was quite OP too if compare with officer but no more. I also noticed in map TS_under no more ''cracked'' defences where u can simply easily destroy the turret by hitting component tower (Other maps did not tried yet). It's great as well. After so many changes i think we can get more players and let them stay longer. We gonna miss ya in this game! Best luck for you both in life and further creation :)

How low of a resolution are you running the game?

The lowest, 640 x 480. Actually, forget what I said about resolution...I get the overlap even when I turn it up to the maximum. Am I the only one getting this?

My laptop screen is 1366 x 768, but my graphics card isn't great so for most games I turn resolution down to 800 x 600 or whatever the lowest setting is to improve performance. But yeah anyway, I don't think this is the issue since yesterday I tried turning the resolution up higher and the HUD was still messed up.

I do like the new HUD, but I do agree the money needs to be re-positioned because it is currently cut off when interacting with the sidebar.

Some notes:

-Enforce elite perk is way too gimmicky and dangerous

-Enforcer is too strong against building MCTs

-Disk Throwers are rubbish at anti-tank duties

-Cyborg Commando is still awful (RoF is still way too low, why?)

-Some GDI defences are still floating on TS_Crossroads

-No EVA/CABAL announcements for destroyed GDI defences, please restore that

-Stealth Tank is far too stiff to control

Otherwise, nice work on the patch.

I prefer the old hud. Not a huge fan of the new unit tbh, Texture and the modek is lacking on both the gun and the character himself, also the Weapon effect with the laser is heh. Nice to see a patch though, but i need more time to play out the new changes.

Edited by Bayonetta

Is it possible to give the Enforcer more armor while not promoted? In mean its a 1000$ unit, and you die too quick against infantry. Im for an armor increase from 150/100 to 150/150. If promoted 200/150, like it is now.

And elite disk thrower need a bit nerfing. They are very strong for a 200$ unit!

Edited by Timeaua

Is it possible to give the Enforcer more armor while not promoted? In mean its a 1000$ unit, and you die too quick against infantry. Im for an armor increase from 150/100 to 150/150. If promoted 200/150, like it is now.

And elite disk thrower need a bit nerfing. They are very strong for a 200$ unit!

The next patch will fix the OP elite buffs.

I think the Enforcer armour idea is something that is needed, I felt that he was a bit too weak for his price tag as well. But on the other hand, he is not effected by Tiberium and has a fairly powerful Personal Ion Cannon.

I think the Enforcer armour idea is something that is needed, I felt that he was a bit too weak for his price tag as well. But on the other hand, he is not effected by Tiberium and has a fairly powerful Personal Ion Cannon.

Its defenately a unit which needs some good skill. You need to make headshots to be effective. Just hitting the body does nearly no damage which is good, as its a hitscan weapon.

Its weaponrange is quite short, so vehicles are able to escape this unit. So approaching to the enemy vehicles should be done smart, especially if you have the jetpack addition.

Oveall its a nice and needed addition to the GDI arsenal.

A idea to encourage more teamplay against cyborgs and vehicles: Maybe its possible to give Disk throwers EMP discs which slow down cyborgs and vehicles for some seconds, but does less damage. So this will help enforcer to headshot cyborgs and get vehicles before escaping.

Actually an interesting idea, but something that needs to be tested extensively. Not going into the patch.

As for the enforcer, I do agree it does need more armor. Two changes for the unit:

• It is now immune to fall damage at elite rank
  • He now has 175/150 health instead of 150/100 health, both to buff his armor and match other high tier units.

A idea to encourage more teamplay against cyborgs and vehicles: Maybe its possible to give Disk throwers EMP discs which slow down cyborgs and vehicles for some seconds, but does less damage. So this will help enforcer to headshot cyborgs and get vehicles before escaping.

I'm just gonna come out and say that I like this. A lot.

[10:22:16] miketylde: i would laugh if in the future, engies could hack a borgs systems

[10:22:31] BerryBomber: Sounds better than emp mines

[10:22:40] delta: how about....emp grenades

[10:22:43] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:44] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:44] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:45] Host: [forg0ten1] only the blackhand can please kane

[10:22:45] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:46] Host: [BR] The local server time is 19:22:05

[10:22:46] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:46] BerryBomber: NO

[10:22:47] BerryBomber: NO