Yet another forum game

Squid Empire

Cast your opinion (multiple votes allowed)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How should the structure work for each chapter?

• Squid runs the story, people make suggestions to the direction after each chapter
    • Squid picks the most popular 'canon' direction after everyone posts / votes on their suggestions of direction
    • All suggestions are considered cannon instantly
    • People vote for the best suggestion (this would be verrry time consuming)
  2. 2. Story type

• Short - there's a conclusion or ending worked out from the start, everything works towards it
    • Open ended - not much planning is done more then a few chapters ahead
  3. 3. Setting - vote as many as you like

• Historical - Classical age
    • Historical - Medieval period
    • Historical - Renaissance
    • Modern - Turn of the century
    • Modern - Interwar
    • Modern - World war 2
    • Modern - Atomic age
    • Modern - 1960-1980
    • Modern - Millennial
    • Modern - Contemporary
    • Futuristic - Near future
    • Futuristic - 2050-2150
    • Futuristic - Far future
    • Futuristic - Distant future (4000+)
  4. 4. Features - vote as many as you like - comment any you think of that aren't here!

• Alternative history
    • Alternative physics (sci-fi magic)
    • Fantasy
    • Superpowers (superheros)
    • Military / wars
    • Colonialism / discovery
    • Science / advanced technology
    • Terrorism / civil unrest
    • Oppressive world powers
    • National collapse
    • Natural disasters / cataclysms
    • Sudden power shift (think Tiberium from CnC)
    • Global/Universal catastrophe
    • Space travel
    • Political blocs / political superpowers (no, not bureaucratman)
  5. 5. Narrative format - vote as many as you want!

• Setting focused - the story is concentrated on world building
    • Plot focused - the story is concerned with moving forward
    • Character focused - the story is concerned with following the exploits of characters
    • Set-piece focused - the story revolves around major events in the world
  6. 6. C&C themed?

• Tiberium Dawn*
    • Tiberium Sun
    • Red Alert 1**
    • Red Alert 2
    • EA Tiberium Games**
    • Red Alert 3**
    • Original (not C&C related)
  7. 7. Perspective? This depends a lot on the other questions but post your opinion anyway

• First person - 'good guys' - important person (general, president etc)
    • Third person - 'good guys' - important people
    • First person - 'good guys' - regular person (soldiers, workers, citizens etc)
    • Third person - 'good guys' - regular people
    • First person - 'bad guys' - important person
    • Third person - 'bad guys' - important people
    • First person - 'bad guys' - regular person
    • Third person - 'bad guys' - regular people

Seeing as the make your own cnc faction thread fizzled out pretty fast, I had another idea to fill the void. I've got the itch to write some fiction anyway - does anyone else?

What I was thinking would be a sort of 'choose your own adventure' story but with anyone on the forums choosing the directions to go in. I was thinking that after each 'chapter' - which would be a reply to the thread - everyone will be able to suggest the direction of the story. What do you think? How should it work?

I also put a big poll up there to pick like themes or directions overall, and hopefully it'll also show the interest levels.

*I don't know much about C&C 1 but would give it a try

**I'm not willing to write anything about RA1, RA3, TW or TT because I don't know enough about any of them. Someone else might be interested though so don't not vote for them because of that.

So what we've got about now (judging from the votes) is:

An open ended story where I'll pick the direction from suggestions/votes. It would be set in the future and the main elements would be military in an alternative history with advanced technology and possibly colonialism and discovery. It would be overwhelmingly character focused, from the (first-person) perspective of a regular person aligned with the world's 'good guys'.

If it's going to be C&C related (assume yes at this point) it will be set in Tiberian Sun's universe.

I'm going to leave the poll open one more day, so get voting!

I love CYOA forum stories, let's do this. Personally, I'd actually prefer if it weren't C&C based, but if it is, I'll take RA1 or TD-era. WW2 to contemporary is where I'm feeling most comfortable with something like this. And have the main characters as "important people" that have some control over events and forces but still aren't quite at the top. How about it?

Okay, here's the updated plan:

An open ended story where I'll pick the direction from suggestions/votes. It will be set in the future, and will feature alternative history, military conflicts, advanced technology and terrorism / civil unrest. It may also feature colonialism / discovery and space travel. It would be character and setting focused told from the third person perspective of important 'bad guys', or possibly from the (first-person) perspective of regular 'good guys'. It would be set in the Tiberian Sun universe.

I've added an option to have it original rather then C&C themed in the poll so if you'd like you can delete your vote and cast again. Because of this I'm going to leave the poll open one more day (again, I know). Looks like there's some real interest in this, I'm getting excited!

This is one of those things that personally, I really have to be in the mood to participate in. However, I love to read them! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes, as there's already plenty of interest and thought material here.

All right, I'm calling the voting done. Nothing has changed since the last tally, so I will officially begin writing the first chapter... now!

I'm going to open a new thread and will try to keep the chapter relatively short so people don't have to spend hours reading each instalment.