RedAlert++

Eternity 6

Same reason here! I like the "lost files" videos. They are perfectly integrated in this one and even compressed I believe. Normally they cause some issues....Also the ant missions are bug free as well! Lots of versions of RA have a bug that prevents you from loading the 2nd or 3rd (can't remember) ant map.

• 2 weeks later...
Our goal is to recreate the Red Alert engine as close as possible in C++, with the hopes of making the games main executable replacable with our compiled binary.

That kinda sounds how OpenTTD worked back in the day; you just had to provide the original TTD data and voilà.

In which case, awesome! I'd love to play RA2 with an updated engine so it would work fine on modern platforms.

PS. Any chance of fully supporting Linux with said new engine? ;D

(asking this because you mention you're going to use SDL, OpenGL and OpenAL but don't explicitly mention Linux)

• 4 months later...

high resolution

PortableRA has this! Works great actually! It's the most complete version of original RA that I've been able to find so far.

The high resolution code is based on code and research CCHyper, hifi, nyerguds, AlexB and some other people worked on. It has to most complete high resolution support and AFAIK only the WOL menu doesn't have high resolution. I spent a lot of time fixing the skirmish and LAN menu to be centered instead of sitting in the top left corner, and I made the WOL menu inaccessible. The high resolution code is based on hifi's public code which he collaborated on with CCHyper and nyerguds. I did some simple reverse engineering of AlexB's ARDA code he wrote for the high resolution sidebar, and wrote my own implementation of that (harder than it sounds, very low level). And I fixed up some other high resolution things.

There's a lot of other code from CCHyper in the patch, including mouse wheel sidebar scrolling which he wrote.

Edited by Iran

Hey W3DHub, I browse here from time to time, but never made an account!

Thanks for the news post!

How does it differ from OpenRA? Will it try to be actually similar instead of going its own direction like OpenRA did?

Our goal is to recreate the Red Alert engine as close as possible in C++, with the hopes of making the games main executable replacable with our compiled binary. Some people have mentioned that this is in in fact created in spit of the OpenRA project, but we have different goals (mostly personal as I started this project sometime in '07/'08). I speak with the OpenRA developers form time to time and we hope to help each other in the future. :)

Hey CChyper. I remember you from PPM. My username on there is blackhand1001.

Edited by dblaney1

The crypto functions were a big pain, I'd been working on them on and off for ages, but it's nice to be able to decrypt the mix files without relying on external libraries or the XCC code. We've recently got scenario files loading, hopefully that will lead to us having basic map drawing working soon so we'll have pretty pictures to start showing.