Red Alert 2 for FREE on Origin!

TerrorTowers

The game is free from EA on Origin for a limited time! Grab it quick, while the deal is active!
Probably influenced by the recent 20 years of C&C, the latest FREE "On The House" game from EA on Origin is none other than Red Alert 2!!!

this free promotion also includes the Yuri's Revenge expansion pack!
Already have Origin? just click here to redeem! but be quick as "On The House" deals won't last long.

for those without Origin, all you need to redeem the game is an Origin account, and a copy of their desktop client, both of which are also free to get your hands on!

1669442ae1c2a43f315d32d3c55dd0d0457baa7e

Happy Conquering!

TT

Wow, I spent 2 weeks trying to get ra2 working on windows 10 (windows 10 doesn't support securom or whatever) Guess I should have just waited for this.

It takes some doing but it is possible (I also laboured for a while with it, only to feel that i should have waited lol). I had to add full permission to the executable to "everyone", run in compatibility mode for XP-sp2 (some other mode may also work, I took the default), run as administrator, and also patch it to 1.006 before it would kinda work. The only things it does wrong now is the loading screen music is all messed up and it gets hung occasionally when trying to load a map while a map is already loaded (it either takes 15 mins to load or the game encounters a "fatal error"). Other than that, it works perfect. For 16:9 ratio monitors, I recommend 1280x800 resolution. It seems comfortable enough. (I realize that this is a 16:10 resolution but it stretches and works out fine. 1280x768 is also available)

So how does this work? When it says "download now and it's yours to keep", do you actually have to fully download it, or can you just leave it in your "my games" like any other not-installed games you have? And if I uninstall it at some point, do I still own it like I would a game that I paid for?

Wow, I spent 2 weeks trying to get ra2 working on windows 10 (windows 10 doesn't support securom or whatever) Guess I should have just waited for this.

It takes some doing but it is possible (I also laboured for a while with it, only to feel that i should have waited lol). I had to add full permission to the executable to "everyone", run in compatibility mode for XP-sp2 (some other mode may also work, I took the default), run as administrator, and also patch it to 1.006 before it would kinda work. The only things it does wrong now is the loading screen music is all messed up and it gets hung occasionally when trying to load a map while a map is already loaded (it either takes 15 mins to load or the game encounters a "fatal error"). Other than that, it works perfect. For 16:9 ratio monitors, I recommend 1280x800 resolution. It seems comfortable enough. (I realize that this is a 16:10 resolution but it stretches and works out fine. 1280x768 is also available)

I did get the original disk version to work I just had to "patch" the exe to get mine to work, but this origin version seems to run better, I just set the RA2.ini to my native res, seems to work fine, game did hang during the second allied mission, have to figure out how to avoid that. I'm planing on doing a let's play soon.

I did get the original disk version to work I just had to "patch" the exe to get mine to work, but this origin version seems to run better, I just set the RA2.ini to my native res, seems to work fine, game did hang during the second allied mission, have to figure out how to avoid that. I'm planing on doing a let's play soon.

Disable Origin functionality, try installing Bibber's fixed TUC launchers (since this release is ripped from TUC), run the game in compatibility mode for Win98 and as admin.

If you want to record:

- if you have Windows 10, run the game in 16-bit colour mode (Compatibility tab in Properties) and use the -win parameter to run it in a window.

- if you have an earlier Windows, manually set your desktop colour to 16-bit and use the -win parameter to run it in a window. Here's how: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1865158/change-color-bits-windows.html

What works with RA2/YR: XSplit, CamStudio, Bandicam, Hypercam

What maybe works: OBS

What doesn't work: Fraps

So how does this work? When it says "download now and it's yours to keep", do you actually have to fully download it, or can you just leave it in your "my games" like any other not-installed games you have?

I think you only have to click on Download Now the first time so it appears in your library, and then you can cancel the download. It's what I did.

And if I uninstall it at some point, do I still own it like I would a game that I paid for?

Yes.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Disable Origin functionality, try installing Bibber's fixed TUC launchers (since this release is ripped from TUC), run the game in compatibility mode for Win98 and as admin.

If you want to record:

- if you have Windows 10, run the game in 16-bit colour mode (Compatibility tab in Properties) and use the -win parameter to run it in a window.

- if you have an earlier Windows, manually set your desktop colour to 16-bit and use the -win parameter to run it in a window. Here's how: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1865158/change-color-bits-windows.html

What works with RA2/YR: XSplit, CamStudio, Bandicam, Hypercam

What maybe works: OBS

What doesn't work: Fraps

Strange the orgin version doesn't seem to like windowed mode, I installed and did what you said, but the colors are inverted and the video in the window is squished

Nevermind it seems all I had to do was change the compatibility from default windows 95 to something else, (windows xp in my case)