The Future of Red Alert: A Path Beyond

FRAYDO

Hello folks

Hey Raap, good to see you again!

I just read your mammoth feedback post over on the BHP forums, lots of good points raised there... I particularly liked the idea of being able to capture oil derricks by simply being present as a non-engineer... more similar to a control zone on domination mode I guess.

Currently the two scripts, whilst built on similar foundations, aren't completely compatible but if Pushwall is interested I could look into supporting something like that...

Hello folks

Hey Raap, good to see you again!

I just read your mammoth feedback post over on the BHP forums, lots of good points raised there... I particularly liked the idea of being able to capture oil derricks by simply being present as a non-engineer... more similar to a control zone on domination mode I guess.

Currently the two scripts, whilst built on similar foundations, aren't completely compatible but if Pushwall is interested I could look into supporting something like that...

Hey Dan,

I just wrote down my thoughts after a few evenings of playing on the live server, but keep in mind that since I have been away from anything W3D related for quite a few years, that I might be a little "out of touch with reality" in terms of what might actually work, and what would not work. :)

With that said, I have no idea what you guys have been up to with the W3D engine in my absence, besides seemingly having fixed some of the performance problems that plagued APB's Gamma release (VIS also helps, but not on flat maps, and my FPS nonetheless improved dramatically there as well).

Anyhow, I got to feel quite nostalgic coming back to the game and recognizing a lot of old faces, so I might stick around and make an attempt to complete some old projects on APB - as a "fan" - that I never got around finishing during my time on the team.

Oh, and can someone explain to me what AircraftKiller did this time? I remember having a brief email dialog with him when he was starting some W3D project, but I was unable to assist him. :?

Most of our playerbase is in EU so it makes sense to have an EU (main) server no? I honestly don't know what the plan is for the future of expansion but I haven't heard anyone say anything about any US servers yet. We'll be sure to announce it if we do open one though! :D Just curious, have you checked your connection? Because I have one of the worst home internet connections imaginable and I can still play fine. Kinda strange actually haha.

Most of our playerbase is in EU so it makes sense to have an EU (main) server no? I honestly don't know what the plan is for the future of expansion but I haven't heard anyone say anything about any US servers yet. We'll be sure to announce it if we do open one though! :D Just curious, have you checked your connection? Because I have one of the worst home internet connections imaginable and I can still play fine. Kinda strange actually haha.

14 meg DSL, usually get pings of 50. i get 160-250.

I quite enjoy Delta, busy working on/with ECW/IA currently; however, I feel like it could still use some dogs...

Or maybe I'm just secretly trying to keep development going on APB, not sure which :p

Wow that's great :o Would it be possible to get dogs implemented into APB at this point? What all would need to be done to get them in the game, would it need a new release entirely, a patch, etc? Also is it possible to make giant ants?

Edited by Venom

Possible? ofcourse because we have awesome folks breaking modding renegade here and they can do all sorts of cool stuff. Going to make it in the game? Unless there's some kind of fan-made patch....i really doubt it. But RA2:AR is supposed to have dogs last i heard :D

I quite enjoy Delta, busy working on/with ECW/IA currently; however, I feel like it could still use some dogs...

Or maybe I'm just secretly trying to keep development going on APB, not sure which :p

Wow that's great :o Would it be possible to get dogs implemented into APB at this point? What all would need to be done to get them in the game, would it need a new release entirely, a patch, etc? Also is it possible to make giant ants?

At this point I definitely have the whole animation system down after making cats, deer, dogs, and bears; however, I already bought a mountain lion 3d model and I really need to animate that one of these days.

Now, if the base animations for the ants were already made, it'd be pretty easy to make the tweaks and generate the ~700 animations off of them.

Possible? ofcourse because we have awesome folks breaking modding renegade here and they can do all sorts of cool stuff. Going to make it in the game? Unless there's some kind of fan-made patch....i really doubt it. But RA2:AR is supposed to have dogs last i heard :D

Indeed, once OWA gets the time he just has to reshape his dog to match that dog model and it'll be good to go. TSR's fiend almost looks ready to go too, that'll either use a bear skeleton or a dog skeleton, we'll see what size it is.

Looking forward to seeing those :D I checked out some of your other videos by the way, you are doing some really cool stuff with the engine! I didn't know most of that stuff was even possible, very cool.

Maybe one day development on APB will reopen if enough interest is there, one can only dream.

I spit out my coffee after realizing your dog was wielding a gun with his mouth.

Seriously, that's some pretty good animating for this engine... I remember dogs being classed 'impossible' back in the day, along with stuff like heli carriers. If only there was a way you could smooth out the turning, maybe not make it possible to turn instant 360 degrees, and add a slight vehicle-like momentum.

But I do think it'd be pretty awkward to play a dog in normal APB gameplay. Perhaps it would be best reserved for AI units and special maps. (Read: A doggy-land FoI, featuring yet more time travel! ... Or not.)

As for APB development, its up to Pushwall. Currently player interest does exist, although player awareness of Delta even existing can improve. If it makes any difference; I'll contribute a few 'fan' map projects to keep things fresh for a little while. I'll share more info on that once I got the files that I need.

Edited by Raap

can we add some US based servers in the future? i feel like im back on dial up and its kind of soiling the experience.

To be fair, when the server was US-based back in the day, 100-200ms is a perfectly playable ping. The fact that the game has dumb netcode ironically makes it more accessible for players with higher latencies. even 300ms+ is still playable, albeit fairly warpy. Game engines like Source cack themselves with pings like those.

As for APB development, its up to Pushwall. Currently player interest does exist, although player awareness of Delta even existing can improve. If it makes any difference; I'll contribute a few 'fan' map projects to keep things fresh for a little while. I'll share more info on that once I got the files that I need.

What do you need exactly?