Ummm... Renegade?

People have been asking where to play Renegade for a while now, especially since the master serverlist on GameSpy has been down for a year and a half and the guys at Jelly stopped supporting Renegade. Quitters.

I think it would be a good idea if W3D Hub could complete the cycle and host a server for vanilla Renegade (with Tiberian Technologies and whatever is applied these days). With your infrastructure, I doubt it would be much of a chore to set one up, and if people get linked to here, they might also be interested in TSR and APB.

Whadayathink?

Although supporting Renegade isn't really on our radar since it's still a game that people have to pay for, we could perhaps look into something in the future. Maybe someone with connections to EA could negotiate something.

Are there legal limitations for putting it up on your launcher as if it were a W3D Hub project? Just curious, since Renegade isn't "free" like the older RTS titles were made.

Edit: Maybe push EA into just making Renegade free? Or did absolutely all EA employees we used to have some dialog with leave the company?

Edited by Raap

I'd imagine that we'd just do what CNCnet does and allow the launcher to hook into your installed copy of Renegade and then direct connect to the server from there.

and apply updates, patches, etc. so that everyone is on the same version. I think this is a good idea if there aren't any legal hurdles anywhere.

Are there legal limitations for putting it up on your launcher as if it were a W3D Hub project? Just curious, since Renegade isn't "free" like the older RTS titles were made.

Edit: Maybe push EA into just making Renegade free? Or did absolutely all EA employees we used to have some dialog with leave the company?

A very good friend of mine works at EA, so I'm sure he'd be able to find out who to get in touch with regarding C&C these days.

Although supporting Renegade isn't really on our radar since it's still a game that people have to pay for, we could perhaps look into something in the future. Maybe someone with connections to EA could negotiate something.

I don't see a problem with Renegade not being freeware. At worst, you can always link people to the TUC purchase page on Origin when people ask where to get it.

A very good friend of mine works at EA, so I'm sure he'd be able to find out who to get in touch with regarding C&C these days.

My sources say BioWare Austin.

Harass them again about that W3D source code while you're at it, for old times sake!

Harass them again about that W3D source code while you're at it, for old times sake!

Especially for LevelEdit source code :p

XWIS still works. Olaf will even allow your account if you lost your serial number and you've got a minimum of street cred within the community.

However, I suppose integrating support into a launcher could facilitate things for some, so don't interpret this as opposition.

XWIS still works. Olaf will even allow your account if you lost your serial number and you've got a minimum of street cred within the community.

I don't recall this being the topic matter.

People have been asking where to play Renegade for a while now, especially since the master serverlist on GameSpy has been down for a year and a half and the guys at Jelly stopped supporting Renegade.

Gamespy was one of two ways to connect to Renegade servers (besides the non-user friendly method of direct connection).

I felt it necessary to bring up the second official way: XWIS. I also felt it was necessary to explain the serial # bit given that this could hinder people in their attempts to play. It could've as well been the reason you were using Gamespy.

Edited by Aprime

I've considered this several times over the last year or so and actually done some supporting work behind the scenes. I'm hesitant to allow installing the game directly thru the launcher but patching it with the latest and greatest from TT is do-able...

I was support this fullheartedly. It would be great just to have easy access to a server again, as well as let new w3d users know where it all started ;) I was hoping for just a server, but if w3d could validate and patch an installed copy to make it up to date, that would be fantastic! Subjectively, I don't see how there would be any legal ramifications for that. Many mods do similar procedures to make sure users own a copy of the game. (cd checks and the like, though there have been a lot of releases of Renegade over the years...) I don't think EA,lucasarts, or anyone else have ever complained.

Edited by darklord