APB: Hostile Waters

Raap

My body is ready! I've been waiting for this map for so long. Thanks for remaking it Raap! :D

A better time to do it than now will not come, so yeah.

It's taken me quite some time to get to this point, since I started off quite rusty - probably still am.

Aww man this map was pretty fun when it came out but it sucks to hear the ATS Submarine and Ion Destroyer won't make an appearance again. By the way will the secret soviet tunnel will be back in non glitched form where you couldn't get out? :p

Aww man this map was pretty fun when it came out but it sucks to hear the ATS Submarine and Ion Destroyer won't make an appearance again. By the way will the secret soviet tunnel will be back in non glitched form where you couldn't get out? :p

Delta's balance just doesn't require special units... However that doesn't mean I won't include other things! The development focus has shifted away from custom units to two modified buildings and gameplay improvements around and on top of the icebergs, and be designed around core gameplay. However at this time I cannot go into specifics as everything is subject to change depending on what is possible or not possible to implement without requiring new script work.

The cave unfortunately remains a dead end (ir is different, though). I was going to add an extra depth layer via an underground waterway, unfortunately this has been axed since Delta's naval implementation does not allow for such playable space below the water level.

It is important to note that I am intentionally not making a big departure from the original map design, the only noticeable change here is entry points to the icebergs and the content on them, where previously this was empty space.

Such a dramatic explosion it blew me away! :p

For game play reasons I suggest to keep each side from being completely defenseless after their naval production is gone you should make 1 or 2 free gunboats or submarine spawn every 5 minutes in a small pier after it's dead. Or maybe have a free transport ready at start of game to make game play faster for whatever you plan to do with the ice mountains.

Such a dramatic explosion it blew me away! :p

For game play reasons I suggest to keep each side from being completely defenseless after their naval production is gone you should make 1 or 2 free gunboats or submarine spawn every 5 minutes in a small pier after it's dead. Or maybe have a free transport ready at start of game to make game play faster for whatever you plan to do with the ice mountains.

The current plan is to have the game end shortly after the naval building is destroyed, similar to how seamist ends shortly after the radar dome is destroyed. In-game dialog will explain this.

There are a few start-up vehicles that do not respawn, but both teams have two 4 credit/tick silo's to make sure credits aren't a big issue to those who defend their silo's... Which is harder to do than in most maps. (The original map had a single 10 credit/tick silo per team, due to limitations of how silo's worked back then.)

Note that the advanced naval buildings, besides the obvious addition of defenses, also offer double the health of their regular counterparts, as well as a faction-locked MCT room.

Edit: Since the video I have improved the visuals of the 'mini bridges' and the direct area near them. I now have to consider the sub pen 'done' otherwise the map itself will never be finished in time. :v The Allied naval yard will be more straight forward to finish up - believe me when I say it took me many hours to get the subs and their spawn areas to function exactly as I wanted them to, but Allied ships are much more straight forward to implement.

When the map is done, I will publish the building files for anyone who cares to look at them, or even use them.

Edited by Raap

Nice. You've completely redesigned the sub pen in a matter of days.

Great job Raap :)

I'm not sure if that's in the right time frame for such a task. :?

At times I felt progress was slow as I was getting lost fixing little things. Also I got a peculiar development method; nearly everything is done manually. Then of course there is also me battling the W3D engine on various fronts such as getting new aggregates to show up and such (which is still a hit and miss process for reasons I cannot seem to be able to comprehend).

Anyhow, I will make a similar video for the Allied naval yard once it is "done".

Edited by Raap

I love what I see. Great work so far man!

....faction-locked MCT room.

Care to expound on your reasoning here? I'm one of these curious types see...

Call it an experiment. I hope to see the naval buildings destroyed by naval.

If it ends up feeling weird in play testing, I can change it to a normal door.

It gives the allies a significant advantage though. Spies can simply let engineers in. The Soviets do not have that luxury.

Noted.

Meanwhile, here is the naval yard at early development. I've redone most of the mesh from the original base model for better vertex lighting and texturing, but as you can see I was not kidding when I said the naval yard would be of similar scale to the sub pen; the destroyer is a freakin' huge model and it needs a lot of space to fit in!

OP7rvfi.png

So COOOL! Nice job m8! BTW I hope that the allied naval yard is just as visually interesting as the sub pen. I'm so exited!

Now, in related posting, will the naval yard be higher up than the pen, or at water level?

The Allied naval yard is going to be unique in visual appearance while still retaining classic design elements (something I'm trying very hard, in order to not make the buildings look very out of place among the other buildings). I'm about half way done with the geometry of it - it's quite a beast.

Unlike the sub pen, I had to make the naval yard from scratch as the original mesh was not in the state I needed it to be for what I had in mind.

Edited by Raap

I love what I see. Great work so far man!

....faction-locked MCT room.

Care to expound on your reasoning here? I'm one of these curious types see...

Call it an experiment. I hope to see the naval buildings destroyed by naval.

If it ends up feeling weird in play testing, I can change it to a normal door.

Alright then, fair enough.

I love what I see :)

It gives the allies a significant advantage though. Spies can simply let engineers in. The Soviets do not have that luxury.

That requires the Allies to sacrifice one of their fighters to do so though. And if the naval buildings have twice the normal HP, it'd take 3 engineer C4 to kill them.

Engi rush :v

Besides, a Soviet LST containing 4 RPGs/flamers/shocks (so the same number of players as the potential Allied 3 engies + 1 spy) can bring down a double-health building in a little more time than it takes the C4s to explode, without even needing to be at the MCT.

Both buildings do provide more infantry cover and strategic points of entry for naval transports to land, so despite the faction locked door topic, there is room for infantry play (also on the icebergs).

Also, lets not forget both teams still got an island base as well.

Edited by Raap

Well, I bet you could field a hundred players on this Allied naval yard, and still have room left to move;

(Still a work in progress, and it might seem confusing, but a video at a near-completed state will make sense of the design.)

FDI90ak.png

I feel like both that and the sub pen could be DM maps in and of themselves.

It does feel like, development wise, Hostile Waters is rapidly approaching the scale of 3 maps in one... Reminds me of a certain map I never managed to finish... Rest assured, I'm seeing this one through.

I can't mention it often enough however; I'm not doing updated naval buildings just because I feel like it, I do it because without it, the gameplay on the map would suffer a lot if using the normal buildings.

The Allied naval yard has to be huge to fit the destroyer, but no space on it goes unused.

Worth added explanation: The sub pen has 3 points of entry for infantry, so you'd think the naval yard is a bit open game for the Soviets... But do realize that the true entry points are the three staircases, as the command center/MCT is on the upper level. Naturally, both levels of the naval yard will be having plenty of infantry cover.

Edited by Raap