Camouflage options for all vehicles?

Vuxlort

I have a query that probably only I care about. :3

Eventually, will all vehicles have camouflage options?

I would love to be able to drive around in the snow with a range that *blends* in, or a mammoth tank that could look nice against the desert sand of pipeline.

Like I said, probably no one cares about such a small aesthetic item except me, but I was simply asking. ;)

By the way, I found an interesting image on A Path Beyond's ModDB page, what's going on there?

post-10623-0-54364800-1453889962_thumb.jpg

Rangers and arty could definitely use a nice weathered-looking whitewash scheme for snow maps, although their current ambiguously brown paint-jobs kinda make dedicated forest/desert camo a little redundant for them.

There are a lot of assets that never got finished or never made it in game, those ranger textures may or may not exist, I do not know.

Nearly every vehicle was planned to have camouflage, but as time went by a lot of staff came and went or got too busy so not every model was updated with the camouflage options. Which is in general any vehicle that does not have them is an older model.

There are a lot of assets that never got finished or never made it in game, those ranger textures may or may not exist, I do not know.

Nearly every vehicle was planned to have camouflage, but as time went by a lot of staff came and went or got too busy so not every model was updated with the camouflage options. Which is in general any vehicle that does not have them is an older model.

They exist (I made them, still have them, though I could really use a new Ranger model to do new textures for, would be a great excuse to get/try Quixel). I never could explain why they weren't integrated. I reckon they're available, too.

Edited by Aprime

• 3 weeks later...

I find selecting camo a waste of time every second counts especially when your base is under attack so get rid of camo or have the make the appropriate camo for the map auto selected or have said camo be the only camo for the map, I also find it just for looks so for said reasons I select default camo (the first camo selected).

I find selecting camo a waste of time every second counts especially when your base is under attack so get rid of camo or have the make the appropriate camo for the map auto selected or have said camo be the only camo for the map, I also find it just for looks so for said reasons I select default camo (the first camo selected).

It takes 2 seconds to select a camo. Sure, if your base is under heavy assault you might not want to waste such time, but it really doesn't take very long.

Taking a snow camo on a desert map is well worth the time investment, because it will take the enemy at least the same amount of time to come out of their moment of pondering why someone would pick such a camo--- oh look I just blew up looking at a weird camo choice...

Unquestionable logic aside, it would have been nice if all units had their camo alternatives available, and with consistent color patterns (some 'urban' textures look more grey while others more black). It would have be a good improvement if the default camouflage was map-dependent... So on a snow map you'd have the snow camo as the first choice. I know this is possible t set up, but it would require 4 different Level Edit folders, which is more hassle than the end result is worth. The only way to manage this would be via level-placed scripts, but no such thing exists at the moment.

Edit: As for infantry camo... A waste of time, since in my opinion, new infantry models should be created first, and that is very unlikely to happen given that redoing the infantry is a mountainous task.

Edited by Raap

Edit: As for infantry camo... A waste of time, since in my opinion, new infantry models should be created first, and that is very unlikely to happen given that redoing the infantry is a mountainous task.

Except the Tanya camos, which were already a part of the game but were just never used. (Check the always.dat for Beta and see for yourself. :v )

Except the Tanya camos, which were already a part of the game but were just never used. (Check the always.dat for Beta and see for yourself. :v )

That's probably the only decent infantry model in APB, so yeah, I suppose you might be able to add camos into Delta for it her.

Certain other models might not need to be redone, just updated and re-textured at higher resolutions. Volkov's overal shape is fine for example, but just needs some mesh corrections and a paint job. Some infantry models got animation issues as well, such as extreme neck stretching under some conditions.

That's probably the only decent infantry model in APB, so yeah, I suppose you might be able to add camos into Delta for it her.

Certain other models might not need to be redone, just updated and re-textured at higher resolutions. Volkov's overal shape is fine for example, but just needs some mesh corrections and a paint job. Some infantry models got animation issues as well, such as extreme neck stretching under some conditions.

I'd like to see this extreme neck stretching, but as for infantry camo, the only unit that SHOULD have camo is the sniper. Seeing as his only real defenses is range and hiding. Get in close and 9 times out of 10 you're more than likely to win. The 1 time out of 10 the sniper probably pulls a snapshot on your head or guns you down with his pistol, albeit badly injured.

Infantry camo's would be very rare in this time period. Solid colors were used during WWI and WWII because it hides you better while moving. Camo's weren't used by most nations regulars in our time until after the Vietnam war. In the RA universe, we haven't had the lesson's of almost 4 (WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam) wars to realize that war is becoming more sedentary as firefights start from a bit further away (100m vs 50m) and last a great deal longer. Solid colors would be used by most forces, and the only soldiers who would would be special forces soldiers, so the sniper, Tanya, spy, thief, and shock trooper would be the most likely candidates. Volkov would be on this list, too, but since he was an experiment that was used as a one-man army, he would be moving around too much for camo to be effective. Instead of camo, the other troops would be issued color-variants of their current uniforms (tan, OD green, grey, and white).

Edited by devilslayersbane

Infantry camo's would be very rare in this time period. Solid colors were used during WWI and WWII because it hides you better while moving. Camo's weren't used by most nations regulars in our time until after the Vietnam war. In the RA universe, we haven't had the lesson's of almost 4 (WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam) wars to realize that war is becoming more sedentary as firefights start from a bit further away (100m vs 50m) and last a great deal longer. Solid colors would be used by most forces, and the only soldiers who would would be special forces soldiers, so the sniper, Tanya, spy, thief, and shock trooper would be the most likely candidates. Volkov would be on this list, too, but since he was an experiment that was used as a one-man army, he would be moving around too much for camo to be effective. Instead of camo, the other troops would be issued color-variants of their current uniforms (tan, OD green, grey, and white).

Take your crazy logic and get out of here! You will not stop me from having my snow camo Technician on Pipeline.

I like having more camos on vehicles, especially the frequently used ones(snow and urban MRJ are very rare). I remember there was a woodlands camo for mammoths in a red alert cutscene but I don't mind if mammoths are restricted to black because I always get fooled by a black urban heavy tank thinking it's a mammoth so it's kinda funny that way.

For infantry, only the ones that are already wearing camo patterns like Tanya (already have 3 camos) and the 2 snipers should be fine with selectable camo.

It would be cool if the correct camo vehicles were locked to the correct temperate maps. Having snow Heavy Tanks on a desert map looks incredibly odd from an art perspective.

I don't think player choice should be removed, but at least default selections could make more sense.

I agree with Raap, as much as locking camo to maps makes sense, it also removes player choice. And it is this player choice that allows them to customise their units a bit. Besides, there are maps where multiple camouflage patterns are viable. (Complex with urban and winter, Seamist with desert and forest, etc)

Take your crazy logic and get out of here! You will not stop me from having my snow camo Technician on Pipeline.

And all I'm saying is that instead of a camo tech, it's just a solid color uniform. Still have the choice between four options, I promise.

I agree with Raap, as much as locking camo to maps makes sense, it also removes player choice. And it is this player choice that allows them to customise their units a bit. Besides, there are maps where multiple camouflage patterns are viable. (Complex with urban and winter, Seamist with desert and forest, etc)

I'd argue that letting players choose outlandish camos on certain maps breaks the immersion of the game. I'm driving my Forest Heavy Tank down through Ridgewar ready to engage the enemy as a member of the glorious soviet armoured division, only to have my comrade park up next to me in snow camo and completely break any sort of logical reasoning as to why I would ever be immersed in this game. The art direction and general look of the game is also hurt by letting players choose any camo for any temperate. All those Forest Medium Tanks on Under in the trailer for example, look really out of place.

I'm not saying that player choice is a bad thing, but it is in the case of this argument... in my opinion.

I don't think that APB can take itself so serious to not allow players to pick their camo. Demo Truck horn sounds would be the next thing to go when you go on that path, and then more things will follow. Entire maps like FoI would need to be axed for the same logic.

I don't think that APB can take itself so serious to not allow players to pick their camo. Demo Truck horn sounds would be the next thing to go when you go on that path, and then more things will follow. Entire maps like FoI would need to be axed for the same logic.

^ This. Plus some players simply prefer to use certain camo schemes regardless of the setting (although I admit seeing snow camo on a non-snow map is rather jarring). Personally, I like using urban camo most of the time, partially due to personal taste, and partially due to RA nostalgia (in the case of the Heavy Tank, which was most often shown sporting its dark urban camo in cutscenes). If AR's system of forced theatre-specific camo, for example, was adopted for APB, there would be very few maps where urban camo would be seen, and this lack of choice would be too restraining for APB IMO.

Also, from a realistic perspective...

The art direction and general look of the game is also hurt by letting players choose any camo for any temperate. All those Forest Medium Tanks on Under in the trailer for example, look really out of place.

This happens all the time in real life too. Whitewash isn't always gonna be in supply. ;) Edited by Ice

Yah its true, in real life. I saw a show called ice pilots. They are flying a plane delivering supplies to an army base in the arctic. The fucking army guys are stationed way up north near the north pole, its ice cold, white as white for miles, no tress no nothing, its just snow everywhere - and the fucking military guys are dressed in temperate camouflage? What the fuck, you idiots, its snowing out, everything is white! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU GREEN!? *Shoots him in the head*

The generalcamo, the general of camouflage should be vomiting with rage at such disrespect. One_Winged_Angle, you and Generalcamo need to collaborate with Pushwall, and make it so that terrain specific camouflage is enforced at all times. Make it so that, if a player buys a snow tank on a desert map, he will die and his tank will explode after he buys it.

This is no time to be all like "oooh, I bet ya THAT would look pretty on my tank, oh thats nice! Imma pick THAT color!"

If we're going down that route, why don't we just make it so that it becomes an Allied AI tank and starts shooting the soviet base? And hey! If camo demos ever come out....

Edited by ganein14

It's not really about APB taking itself seriously, it's more about keeping the camouflages stuck to the environments that they were made for, rather than compromising the art style of the game by allowing it to look like a patchwork quilt of contrasting colours for the sole reason of "player choice".

^ This. Plus some players simply prefer to use certain camo schemes regardless of the setting (although I admit seeing snow camo on a non-snow map is rather jarring). Personally, I like using urban camo most of the time, partially due to personal taste, and partially due to RA nostalgia (in the case of the Heavy Tank, which was most often shown sporting its dark urban camo in cutscenes). If AR's system of forced theatre-specific camo, for example, was adopted for APB, there would be very few maps where urban camo would be seen, and this lack of choice would be too restraining for APB IMO.

Also, from a realistic perspective...

The art direction and general look of the game is also hurt by letting players choose any camo for any temperate. All those Forest Medium Tanks on Under in the trailer for example, look really out of place.

This happens all the time in real life too. Whitewash isn't always gonna be in supply. ;)

I'm also a fan of the urban camo, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for the art direction of the game in, for example, snow environments. The lack of choice is an incredibly weak justification against tightening up the art style of the game and making it look more uniform. People complained about the lack of choice in AR for about a week before it stopped being an issue entirely, so I can full believe that choosing camos is something that players can live without. Our game also looks way better than before because of it.

The thing is with comparing this to real life is that whitewash is always in supply in our case, because we apply it on using Photoshop and Level Edit presets. Making the game look mis-matched and then trying to justify it using real life limitations is an incredibly bad view to have, because in game development we don't have those limitations; we never run out of paint. The intention of the army is to paint the tank in a colour that fits the environment, if they can't carry out those intentions in real life, we will always be able to in games.

I could add purchase temps for all the non-temperate maps to make the correct camo the default one, but if any vehicle ever needs its availability or price changed again, you'd better be mindful of why I don't want to go through with that.

It's not really about APB taking itself seriously, it's more about keeping the camouflages stuck to the environments that they were made for, rather than compromising the art style of the game by allowing it to look like a patchwork quilt of contrasting colours for the sole reason of "player choice".

I would argue that not allowing players to pick their camo, is compromising the art direction.