APB, no allied cruiser?

Alternative posted below there.

Let's take a look then.

I didn't add inaccuracy to the list. what about total damage that arty does, what about just slow, what about a shallower arc, are you sure two turrets won't work? (be creative)

In testing, the destroyer had its depth charge ramp set up as a second turret. Problem is there can only be one turret bone so it had to use the barrel bone instead - meaning that not only was the missile turret unable to tilt up/down, but you also had to look up or down to rotate the depth charge ramp. Which was terrible because you can't see the subs you're aiming at unless you're looking down so the ramp was ALWAYS aimed to the left when it was in use.

If this were done for the Cruiser, both turrets would not be able to tilt up/down (so the gun would be REQUIRED to have either no arc at all or a very shallow one) and the rear one would require you to not be actually looking at the enemy base if you wanted it to aim at either side of the Cruiser. Enjoy staring at the ocean or the sky instead of the carnage. Alternatively you could spend 20 or so seconds turning the Cruiser to face the enemy base so you actually get to see what you're trying to hit, negating the whole "I have turrets that can rotate!" aspect completely, only to realise that since the second turret is on the back of a very huge vehicle, you have to then move about 50m closer to the base just so the rear turret can actually HIT the base. And then you're in range of machineguns and tanks, not just Strelas.

(continued)

How about making it so that 2-3 players make it fully functional one pilots and uses the front turret and the other uses the rear turret or one pilots the other two man different turrets?

Assuming it's even possible. There's probably a good reason why the MK2's chin gun is automatic.

And before someone says "make the rear cruiser gun automatic!" AI can't aim at buildings. The Seamist cruisers are pretty hacky and only happen to hit buildings because they're in their predetermined line of fire.

fin.

Something that came up in the staff chat before was the idea of a deathmatch/domination map set onboard a cruiser. Kind of like the freighter mission in Renegade, where the vehicle in question is just a big pile of geometry that you can move around inside and on top of rather than an actual vehicle. That seems a bit more plausible than what Isaac's going on about - if there was no land how would you get into the cruiser vehicle to begin with? How would players get from their fixed spawnpoints to the cruiser if it moves away from the starting location? How would players get from the cruiser to the gunboats when vehicles have to have a worldbox that is cube-shaped and does not remotely correspond to their actual geometry, so you wouldn't be able to walk around on it properly?

I remember seeing a few renegade maps where a "ship" (geometry, sometimes setup as a Building) was one team's base. Maybe an objective map where a cruiser building acts as the allied team spawnpoint and spawns ships and helis for an amphibious assault on a soviet base?

Make it a Super Cruiser prototype or something that the soviets are trying to call in an airstrike or nuke on. So Seamist but the roles reversed - soviets have to keep something alive to allow the strike.

Hell, give the Cruiser Building a functional AI Turret that's just a suped up double barrel version of the normal Allied Turret and murders soviet shit that tries to get too close :v

for the record before pushwall murders me this is all just thinking out loud and definitely not demanding he do it or anythinggg

I remember seeing a few renegade maps where a "ship" (geometry, sometimes setup as a Building) was one team's base. Maybe an objective map where a cruiser building acts as the allied team spawnpoint and spawns ships and helis for an amphibious assault on a soviet base?

A mission in the SP campaign was Havoc infiltrating a Nod ship.

orange text :v

Chronojam is that you?

This idea is crazy, but it could be interesting.

What if we made a large naval map with no land and have the cruiser be a mobile naval base. (It could deploy to build a limited number of gunboats and then act as normal building for a while.) It could have only one turret active in movement mode and have several controllable turrets when deployed. The Soviets would get a giant submarine that does the same thing except it can not deploy underwater and is a submarine.

I would be really hacky and look odd but it could be neat.

(Since this is my idea I would make a the stuff for it, if it is not impossible.)

Hostile Waters reached about the limit of sensible water gameplay scale limitations.

And a level played ON a ship makes little sense, how would the Soviets have boarded one? They aren't the secret 3rd Somalian Pirates faction, they are the Soviets.

Something that came up in the staff chat before was the idea of a deathmatch/domination map set onboard a cruiser. Kind of like the freighter mission in Renegade, where the vehicle in question is just a big pile of geometry that you can move around inside and on top of rather than an actual vehicle. That seems a bit more plausible than what Isaac's going on about - if there was no land how would you get into the cruiser vehicle to begin with? How would players get from their fixed spawnpoints to the cruiser if it moves away from the starting location? How would players get from the cruiser to the gunboats when vehicles have to have a worldbox that is cube-shaped and does not remotely correspond to their actual geometry, so you wouldn't be able to walk around on it properly?

The super cruiser first would have to: become a building when deployed, force all players in the vehicle when undeploying, move all the spawn points and such somehow, and have the turrets be separate enterable vehicles.

The Soviet Super submarine would have to do mostly the same as the cruiser and only be able to deploy or fire when on the surface.

Water only is a bit of a stretch as there would be large rocks in the way of where the cruiser and super sub spawn.

Oh, and you start with only the super ship and sub, which you can get basic infantry and engineers from, the islands which provide protection from the other side could have captureable shored defenses.

Edited by Isaac The Madd

I guess you could have a Hostile Waters-like map, with a bot cruiser or two (provided someone's made a model), where Soviets are trying to sink them and Allies trying to defend them? It wouldn't be a playable vehicle, but if you just want to see it in the game...

I guess you could have a Hostile Waters-like map, with a bot cruiser or two (provided someone's made a model), where Soviets are trying to sink them and Allies trying to defend them? It wouldn't be a playable vehicle, but if you just want to see it in the game...

Yes to this, except I think it would need to be full soviet co-op, otherwise it would be biased to allies unless there was some really debilitating limits placed on them.

how about a level of 2 static ships, 1 for allies and 1 for soviets. The ships would have the ore silos inside and since it could be considered as a building be made destructable (perhaps ore functionality can be integrated so no silos).

The ships allow barracks, docks and perhaps helipad functionality and may have AI turrets or perhaps the players can control them (as some turrets are like in renegade).

The point about this is that perhaps the stuff from RA like the cruiser can be implemented or even enhanced in the gameplay value in such real life ships have many guns on them other than the main guns themselves.

Since soviets dont build ships they can have their dock in the middle of the ship with water (just like the ship in renegade).

An alternative arrangement to the map is allies get cruiser as their base whereas soviets get a small island that seems befitting of their design (volcano?). An objective could be added for the allies to destroy the soviet's nuke within a certain amount of time.

Recreating missions from RA would be something a lot would like to see as its not just the standard skirmish rules of destroying each others base. I remember the tanya missions even in red alert 2 is that even though she could kill any infantry in 2 shots (she has dual pistols), and dogs but she is vulnerable to tanks and cant shoot while moving (i hope when balancing tanya you guys really took note of it as she costs more than a tank).

Perhaps some missions could be inspired from real life events that happened during the cold war such as with cuba and nukes.

Edited by System Error Message