SEM's thoughts on PR

And then let's say that everything lines up and a streamer starts covering our games. That's actually a problem for the game itself, and it gets worse the more popular it is. Heard the term "Stream-sniping" before? There would be a natural draw for players in the game to get "screen time" and opposing players can do that best by attacking and killing the streamer, who is literally broadcasting everything he sees and does. His presence can hurt the team he's playing on. This can also apply to players on the same team, who may do various different things that hurt the team while trying to wind up as a highlight on the stream, such as deliberate team hampering, or simply too willing to get on camera to actually pay attention to what's going on in the game.

Wooing streamers isn't the answer for PR, not on it's own.

Hey Cat5,

Streamers got the option to delay their streams by a number of minutes (up to 30 minutes, I believe). Stream delays are common usage in more competitive games to counter exactly what you describe.

If the streamer in question is very hands-on with his viewers, then perhaps this option isn't very helpful to them. But in any other case it should prevent the issues you mentioned.

I knew someone would say that. However, as you already alluded to, a delay also lowers some of the appeal of the stream, as it's no longer live. It also still does not impact what the streamer's own team might do to get on camera, no matter how long the delay. And sometimes there are still things an opposing team can learn from a delayed stream. I admit that at the max delay, there are very few things I can think of and many wouldn't matter much. It might reveal a long-term spy, for example, but how often does a spy remain under cover for 30 minutes?

moonsense, that is interesting as the numbers are bigger than I'd expect, though you have a logical problem in that. If every day you have 40% new visitors, what happened to the new visitors from the day before? Brand new players are always a thing. Getting them to stick around to play for more than a week is another. To have growth, some new players must become old players. Are you seeing bigger numbers of players over time?

Why would anyone play for the camera... when noone tells the players ingame who is streaming? (or even that there is actually someone streaming?)

Secondly, a hardcore streamer would already know of these issues anyway and should have developed ways already to handle it. Otherwise he wouldn't be successful.

i think he means a join lobby where you join the lobby and are automatically assigned a server.

That already exists. Click the play button from the game page and it picks the best server for that game automatically. Of course there is only one server anyway so...

Why would anyone play for the camera... when noone tells the players ingame who is streaming? (or even that there is actually someone streaming?)

Secondly, a hardcore streamer would already know of these issues anyway and should have developed ways already to handle it. Otherwise he wouldn't be successful.

If a streamer is successful at drawing a crowd to watch, people playing the game will eventually know there is a streamer and who it is. I believe the whole point being proposed is to have streamers join to cause others to play, afterall.

And then, yes, you're right. They do deal with the problems. The solution is to not livestream these types of games. I've actually watched a livestreamer go through this process himself. He played a game that had a team vs team structure similar to APB, and he liked streaming it because he had a big channel and his presence would dramatically improve the player count while he was there. However, eventually the stream-sniping and trolling got so bad that it was no longer suitable for anybody. There were too many people who knew who he was and when he was streaming, and it was causing problems for everybody, He now records the footage and picks ones to upload later, and only streams games that are coop or where his opponents are likely to be "randoms". Since it isn't streamed, he can't be stream-sniped, and because it is only uploaded if it's good, people trying to troll will be just wasting their time as he won't publish it. Recording random sessions and then cutting the footage down to just the "good stuff" would probably have the best effect for everyone involved.

Edited by Category 5 Hurricane

You only need to see the nametag in the stream. Which you will see either by him viewing his own character in 3rd person, or from his scoreboard which highlights his name. Also whenever the game ends.

So you're telling me our players instead of playing would be standing still all the time, alt tabbed, trying to find out who is streaming.

No, I just won't believe that our current playerbase would be doing this :/

Secondly let's not give them ideas :p

Wooing streamers isn't the answer for PR, not on it's own.

I agree, though it is a good step to take along with what other ideas we can brainstorm here.

moonsense, that is interesting as the numbers are bigger than I'd expect, though you have a logical problem in that. If every day you have 40% new visitors, what happened to the new visitors from the day before? Brand new players are always a thing. Getting them to stick around to play for more than a week is another. To have growth, some new players must become old players. Are you seeing bigger numbers of players over time?

Our analytics are showing an increase by the day. Moonsense yesterday said there were 140 unique players, and today the number is 151.

To the subject of getting our players to stick around; the stats system in development would do well for that in keeping players engaged and aiming for the number #1 spot. Even then, stats alone could not possibly maintain interest forever.

The question here for everyone would be: What do you believe is needed to not only bring in new players and community members, but to have them also want to stick around?

The question here for everyone would be: What do you believe is needed to not only bring in new players and community members, but to have them also want to stick around?

This is most definitely the golden question. Figure this out and we'll have it made so to speak.

As far as stats goes, it will definitely create competitiveness. I remember the mp-gaming days when it was all about the rank and achievements. People would join, and the first thing that 9/10 players would put in the chat?

> !rank

> !nextrank

> !stats

> !alltimestats

And then in one glorious spamfest, half of everyone in the server would suddenly feel compelled to check their own stats and rank! It shall return.....some day it shall return :D

Streaming a game does actually bring money. Some youtubers actually earn lots of money and some twitch streamers require a subscription fee. Some people watch the game the learn about it, to see how others play and find out more ways to do it. Other reasons are tournaments, entertainment, they cant buy/play the game, seeing what their friends are doing, there are many reasons to stream or make game videos.

Its one reason why lets play videos tend to be popular.

livestream or not this game is easy to figure out and the maps arent too big that the standard stream delay is 30 seconds but even without a delay many players cant watch and play at the same time (some games actually disable other monitors when you launch it like company of heroes 2 for example which i hate because than i cant use teamspeak or other things).

Part of the fun of a stream is being able to play with the streamer and disturb him on camera like killing him or countering him.

I also would like to suggest leaderboards for the game from official sessions based on points, kills, k/d ratio and so on. It would bring a competitive side to it.

well i tried introducing the game to a few streamers that i know so not sure if they would like it or approve of it. One of them uses youtube and i checked that they also play other games before i introduced it. I will try to organise and host an event for this but this will be a while before i get everything together, plenty of time to do bug fixes and changes. I dont think i can get that many players though but at least you guys should also give it a try by finding streamers and youtubers you know and letting them know the game exists and to try it.

Im also looking forward to the other games w3d hub has but im not really sure what is going on with their development. Battle for dune looks particularly interesting and i am hoping that picking up an enemy tank is an option when using the advanced transport. Its what i used to do in the game where i would sometimes steal the enemy harvester or steal an enemy tank that is significant and let their own troops/defences destroy the transport and their own units or use your own base defences and some troops can also shoot the enemy tank your transport is carrying without hurting your own transport but its some micro management to stop it from landing and releasing the tank.

Streamers/youtubers have no reason not to try this game because i see them buy games so as this is a free game that is fun to play if they say no than they should be avoided.