APB 3.0.4.1 Changelog

Another patch has been released! Get more information and the changelist in the full update!

:allied:Red Alert: A Path Beyond Update :soviet:

Hey everyone! Another patch has just been pushed to the launcher and server based on your feedback!

Changelist

INFANTRY

• Volkov AT range up from 90 to 95.

• M16/AK-47 range up from 85 to 90.

• Grenadier range up from 125 to 140.
  • Grenade is no longer disarmable/targetable.
  • Flamethrower infantry (and FoI fireproof suit) no longer takes 50% extra damage from explosions.
  • Flamethrower projectile speed up from 75m/s to 100m/s.
  • Sniper damage up from 37.5 to 55, but suffers a 50% penalty against armoured people instead of 25%. So its damage against people with armour is almost identical to before, but it becomes much more lethal to people with no armour.
  • Volktillery damage down from 62.5 to 42.5 but uses Shell warhead; this makes barely any difference to its damage against buildings (its main purpose) but makes it clearly inferior to the AT cannon against tanks at close range.
  • Jumping with Volkov AT mode has a much larger penalty (+6 sprayangle instead of +2), but accuracy recovery afterwards is up from -4 per second to -8.

VEHICLES

• :siren:Cruisers are in the game now! :siren: Actually no this was an april fools you fools
  • Light Tank turret rotation speed up by 33%.

AESTHETICS

• Added another first-person sleeve variant: darker grey for Mechanics.
  • Fixed RPG Trooper's vehicle-riding model (it was not updated when the on-foot model was, so it had some issues with the new texture)

MAP CHANGES

• :siren: River Raid has been remade by Pushwall and is now playable again! :siren: Here's how it's changed since Gamma:
    • Terrain is completely remade from scratch.
    • Added infantry-only side areas that provide alternate attack routes; the mouth of the river now leads to a beach that leads to the back of the Soviet base, and the river cave now leads to the back of the Allied base.
    • Added ground defenses - 2 pillboxes/flamers each, one at the front and one at the rear.
    • There is now only one Ore Silo.
    • Added ore fields near each base which the AI truck will collect from.
    • The island in the middle now has gems instead of mixed ore/gems.
    • Added tunnels to the bases that connect all the buildings and allow safe repairing of the Service Depot.
    • Tech Level reduced to 1.
    • Added visibility culling system.
    • The map's jukebox plays the following tracks: Scrin, Chaos, Crush, Renegade Jungle.
    • In case you missed the teaser shot last time, here it is!
  • RA_ForestOfIllusion: Secret items take 3-6 minutes to spawn (was 1-6).
  • RA_ForestOfIllusion: Added Grenades and Volkov's AP handcannon to the crate pool.
  • RA_HostileWaters: Removed an Ore Silo, Service Depot and Refill Pad from each team.
  • RA_HostileWaters: Moved remaining Ore Silo to a more defensible position.
  • RA_HostileWaters: Removed stealth crates.
  • RA_HostileWaters: Fixed grenadiers costing 160 instead of their intended price.

Get to the launcher and grab the patch! Be on the lookout for more updates, and we hope to see you on the battlefield!

• RA_HostileWaters: Removed stealth crates.

:(

I predict trouble with the single Silo setup, though. Early infantry rushes on a Silo will cripple the enemy team and basically just end the game right there and then.

Edited by Raap

:siren: Cruisers are in the game now! :siren: Due to their overwhelming power they are currently Tech Level 5, meaning they are on Coastal Influence only. Currently we do not have an icon for them and they are temporarily using the RA cruiser icon, so let's try and get some epic scenes of it to turn into a proper icon! :D

I can't tell if this is an April Fool's joke or not...because it's mixed in with a whole bunch of other normal stuff.

:siren: Cruisers are in the game now! :siren: Due to their overwhelming power they are currently Tech Level 5, meaning they are on Coastal Influence only. Currently we do not have an icon for them and they are temporarily using the RA cruiser icon, so let's try and get some epic scenes of it to turn into a proper icon! :D

I can't tell if this is an April Fool's joke or not...because it's mixed in with a whole bunch of other normal stuff.

Definitely isn't. It's a very effective vehicle in it's intended role!

Good patch overall, just a few notes:

- The Light Tank's turret speed feels just a little bit too fast now IMO

- The Grenade seems to be missing surface effects (doesn't kick up dirt, etc. when exploding). Is this due to it being a C4-type weapon now?

- Although the Cruiser is (presumably) an April Fools joke, I really like how its missiles sway in-flight

- River Raid is awesome!

Edited by Ice

- The Grenade seems to be missing surface effects (doesn't kick up dirt, etc. when exploding). Is this due to it being a C4-type weapon now?

Yes.

- The Light Tank's turret speed feels just a little bit too fast now IMO

Well now you have more of a reason to get one instead of a medium :)

You forgot about most important change :v

• :siren: River Raid has been remade by Pushwall and is now playable again! :siren: Here's how it's changed since Gamma:
    • Terrain is completely remade from scratch.
    • Added infantry-only side areas that provide alternate attack routes; the mouth of the river now leads to a beach that leads to the back of the Soviet base, and the river cave now leads to the back of the Allied base.
    • Added ground defenses - 2 pillboxes/flamers each, one at the front and one at the rear.
    • There is now only one Ore Silo.
    • Added ore fields near each base which the AI truck will collect from.
    • The island in the middle now has gems instead of mixed ore/gems.
    • Added tunnels to the bases that connect all the buildings and allow safe repairing of the Service Depot.
    • Tech Level reduced to 1.
    • Added visibility culling system.
    • The map's jukebox plays the following tracks: Scrin, Chaos, Crush, Renegade Jungle.
    • In case you missed the teaser shot last time, here it is!
    • Added awesome forklifts for both teams!

FIxed :v

Edited by Alstar

I had the chance to check out River Raid. Pushwall did a great job remaking it, and adding to it via introducing additional attack routes (something that the original map struggled with). The forklifts are a nice touch, but I confess to hoping I could raise and lower the fork to crush/impale my enemies with. But then again, we'd probably need a hotfix patch, to nerf forklifts.

I do have two comments to make;

- The textures on the map could do with a slightly less stretched tiling.

- Some slope surface areas are impassable by infantry despite clearly intended to be slopes for infantry to climb. It would probably help a lot if Level Edit itself had a way of checking which surfaces are impassable for infantry or otherwise (hint for the W3D programming team :v ).

Edited by Raap

- Although the Cruiser is (presumably) an April Fools joke, I really like how its missiles sway in-flight

I figured since it was intended to be useless (on CI at least) I might as well take the opportunity to remind everyone of what a great gameplay mechanic Drunk Missiles are.

Oh yeah in case anyone still doesn't get it it was an April Fools joke. Forklifts, on the other hand, are well-balanced and thus here to stay :)

It would probably help a lot if Level Edit itself had a way of checking which surfaces are impassable for infantry or otherwise (hint for the W3D programming team :v ).

You can always just fill out pathfinding for the whole map, anything infantry can't climb will not have pathfinding.

Of course, even though the map is small enough to not crash when given full pathfinding, I still had to restrict the pathfinding to "just enough to get to and from the ore field" because of how RAlistic the ore truck AI is:

lUK5m54.jpg

With full pathfinding coverage, the ore truck prefers to take the cyan path. :| If the cyan path is unavailable due to it not being on the pathfind grid, the ore truck takes the much shorter red path, which it does currently.

Is it actually worth it on most maps for a manned ore truck to go the extra distance to mine gems? Is the extra $ amount gained in proportion to the distance traveled greater vs. ore fields? (i.e twice the distance to gem vs. ore field, more than twice the income)

[20:44:40] TK-421: So... Anyone try out the cruiser?
[20:44:48] delta: yup
[20:48:12] TK-421: I want to try out the Cruiser

Hahaha, I wasn't sure if I should have spoiled it for you yesterday. Though I think it should have been obvious to anyone who's been spending time around the forum that it would be a joke.

Edited by delta

Is it actually worth it on most maps for a manned ore truck to go the extra distance to mine gems? Is the extra $ amount gained in proportion to the distance traveled greater vs. ore fields? (i.e twice the distance to gem vs. ore field, more than twice the income)

This is part of why I made gems triple income. In a lot of cases it is worth it in terms of money over time but you are easier to kill. But there are some where that's not the case.