Heavy vs. Medium/Light Tanks

Seconds it takes to destroy: Mammoth Tank (side armor) Heavy Tank (side armor)

Unit Used:

Heavy 37s 20s

Medium 34s 20s

Light 42s 22s

Guys I know i brought this up before, and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but does anyone else feel the heavy always loses in a one on one fight vs. mediums, and sometimes even lights? It doesn't help that the heavy and medium tanks have equal DPS versus medium armor, so the only difference in DPS is how many shots the heavy misses during fights. Because the way the aiming system works for heavies, it's much easier to miss shots than the other tanks. Even missing 1 out 10 shots more than the medium means a 10% DPS reduction.

To be fair the heavy does much more damage versus light armor than medium/light tanks, and light tanks are horrible versus heavy armor.

Lastly, can someone explain how come mediums are more effective versus Mammoth tanks than the heavy? I tested this out several times so the data's legit.

Edited by moonsense715

To be fair the heavy does much more damage versus light armor than medium/light tanks, and light tanks are horrible versus heavy armor.

And also to be fair, heavy tanks have that 5m range advantage that, on maps with enough space to allow it, lets them get the first hits in on mediums AND dodge the first hits from mediums if they back up so that the med shells explode just before impact. Which just about assures the HT's victory unless they screw up aiming too much.

Lastly, can someone explain how come mediums are more effective versus Mammoth tanks than the heavy? I tested this out several times so the data's legit.

Mediums get higher-velocity shells that don't receive penalties versus heavy or mammoth armour - a trait that helps differentiate them from the light tank which is more for handling light vehicles, since it has a higher general DPS than the medium but does suffer penalties vs heavier armours.

What about a heavy tank against a medium tank?

Heavy tanks and medium tanks have the same health and armour so it doesn't really matter.

Guys I know i brought this up before, and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but does anyone else feel the heavy always loses in a one on one fight vs. mediums, and sometimes even lights?

Doesn't seem to stop Soviets from claiming more wins than Allies (in games with high enough player counts that unit/map balance actually starts to matter compared to player skill) on Guard Duty or River Raid where the heavy is the Soviets' only choice of tank...

balance, in RA1 and RA2 the soviets always have better tanks than the allies so they need numbers to keep up (americans style is throwing people at it) and it reflects their tanks used in ww2 as the allies had barely any heavy armour tanks (sure the british had the churchill but it lacked firepower) but the soviets had the kv-1, kv-2, kv-8 all heavy tanks equipped with a normal to good firepower. The americans relied on speed with their shermans which were medium tanks to win as their heavy tanks werent that good. If you ever play as russian in company of heroes 2 you will find it cheaper and better to spam the kv-1 than to go with the t34 medium tanks as not only do they have the same firepower but the kv-1 has much more armour and even with the lack of speed some good micromanagement makes it way better than the t-34. So a good player in the soviet's heavy tank can outmatch anything less from the allies in a 1v1 fight.

Even then the game had to be balanced to give the medium/light tanks a chance against the heavy tank but if a really good player was using the heavy tank than the allies just dont stand a chance in a 1v1 fight. The cost of the tanks arent reflective of their strength and follows RA1 more. What a heavy tank can have trouble with is dealing with infantry so as long as you run around and keep shooting it while avoiding from being run over you can nullify their strength advantage. This is where the light tank wins against the heavy tank in which to counter the soviet tanks you use infantry and use the allied vehicles against their infantry. In a lot of the maps its hard to do a light/medium tank circle around a heavy tank to dodge it in a close range fight as they usually have random stuff in the way or not enough space.

Personally i think the allied artillery could be a lot better. Now in the modern day its the allies that have the better tanks and russia has recently released and bragged about their drone tanks that dont hover.