R.I.P. Nostalrius

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone else here was part of the Nostalrius WoW community, but if anyone is, I feel your pain.

Nostalrius is a Vanilla WoW server that had over 800,000 registered accounts and over 10,000 people playing daily across two realms.

It was a real throwback to a sense of community and personal achievement.

It will be shut down by Blizzard on April 10th, which is perfectly within the legal rights of the company, but I'm unsure of the ethics behind it.

In short, RIP another gaming community. My heart is once again shattered </3.

https://en.nostalrius.org/

There is enough demand for as classic WoW server. I'd imagine that, with a well supported petition, Blizzard will consider hosting their own "progression server". It makes sense since it would bring a lot of emulator players back into their official servers (and therefore redirect revenue back to Blizzard).

However in doing so, they would also admit they made a lot of bad decision post-vanilla, decisions that alienated a large portion of their player base, and I don't think their ego would allow them to admit to that.

Meanwhile in MMORPG-land, I'm playing

. Edited by Raap

There are other vanilla servers, though.

http://www.gtop100.com/topsites/World-of-Warcraft

Yes, there are other servers but the thing that made Nostalrius stick over others was quality. Other private servers emulate the vanilla WoW experience well, but not with the consistency or commitment that Nostalrius had. Even though I only lightly dabbled in WoW private servers (and played on Nost on more than a few occasions) it definitely is sad to see that Blizzard is shutting it down. While Blizzard is pretty adamant in their claims that launching their own legacy servers wouldn't be very worthwhile, hopefully, Nostalrious (or other quality private servers) will cause them to cave at some point and see that there is a decent market for it.