Siege Work in Progress Updates

Sounds good, and a direction level designs should actually take these days. That is side-objectives speciality per-map that makes maps unique, aside from unique terrain design that drags somewhat different gameplay (but that leaves the core game the same).

I pushed for that direction when I was still with BHP. People mostly disagreed on this approach so it was never done.

If I had the time, rights, and access, I would have added objectives to some of the existing maps in APB Delta, but unfortunately I got none of those things. Perhaps someone else one day picks the idea up... But for that, we need a larger playerbase.

Edit: I guess with Siege released (soonish according to Pushwall), my forum title can get changed to not refer only to HostileWaters?  :v

Maybe you'll find some time? :v . But yeah, it will depend on the playerbase, that's right.

Sounds good, and a direction level designs should actually take these days. That is side-objectives speciality per-map that makes maps unique, aside from unique terrain design that drags somewhat different gameplay (but that leaves the core game the same).

I pushed for that direction when I was still with BHP. People mostly disagreed on this approach so it was never done.

If I had the time, rights, and access, I would have added objectives to some of the existing maps in APB Delta, but unfortunately I got none of those things. Perhaps someone else one day picks the idea up... But for that, we need a larger playerbase.

Edit: I guess with Siege released (soonish according to Pushwall), my forum title can get changed to not refer only to HostileWaters?  :v

Maybe you'll find some time? :v . But yeah, it will depend on the playerbase, that's right.

I simply want to keep my options open, as I might explore other paths beyond APB Delta.

Three maps I promised, and three I intend to deliver.

Edited by Raap

By the way, we might have found a solution to the screen viewport freezing issue on Max 8 in Windows 10.

It worked for my Win 10 laptop and Wallywood's Win 10 desktop to copy the 3dsmax exe and paste it into the same directory, and running that one instead of the original.

Notes:

-Had to run it as admin.

-I don't know if this is necessary but it helps: I set myself as the owner with permissions on the entire autodesk 3ds max folder in Program Files. At the very least, this makes autobak start working again.

Running a shortcut to the copied exe file, I no longer get screen freezing, and a quick test on Wallywood's computer also shows no viewport freezing. I think Chaos said this didn't work for him, although I didn't have any hands-on so it's possible something else wasn't done right on his machine.

I set myself as the owner with permissions on the entire autodesk 3ds max folder in Program Files.

Hey! That reminds me of a tool i use every other day! :D A simple reg edit that adds a context menu option to take ownership of any file or folder! Really straight forward, and since these are .reg files, you can inspect their contents yourself if you don't trust it :D

TakeOwnership Context.zip

By the way, we might have found a solution to the screen viewport freezing issue on Max 8 in Windows 10.

It worked for my Win 10 laptop and Wallywood's Win 10 desktop to copy the 3dsmax exe and paste it into the same directory, and running that one instead of the original.

Notes:

-Had to run it as admin.

-I don't know if this is necessary but it helps: I set myself as the owner with permissions on the entire autodesk 3ds max folder in Program Files. At the very least, this makes autobak start working again.

Running a shortcut to the copied exe file, I no longer get screen freezing, and a quick test on Wallywood's computer also shows no viewport freezing. I think Chaos said this didn't work for him, although I didn't have any hands-on so it's possible something else wasn't done right on his machine.

Huh, how strange, it indeed worked. I'm not going to bother asking how this works, since I'm clearly too convinced it was magic.

As for auto backups, those always worked for me.

• At its core, the map is set in cold and snowy Russia.
  • The map is between 25% to 33% the scale of Siege, which means the map is much more compact and with limited open space. It will most likely be the most dense map in APB Delta, and the effect of that will be limited vehicle maneuverability.
  • Roughly 1/3rd of the map is a Soviet R&D facility where MAD Tank technology was developed, and something else... The plot of the map is simple; Something went boom, and both factions have set up their base nearby to find out what happened.
  • You can expect prototype vehicles present in this map. At least one of these vehicles is not native to the Red Alert universe.
  • The map will feature small bases without base defenses. Aircraft is still something I'm undecided on; My focus is on good ground gameplay and great secondary objectives, and air vehicles may not necessarily add to this in a positive way.
  • Expect lava, including new effects for it.

Siege is looking awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing Frostburn Cove as well! :D I just hope those prototypes aren't too crazy or unfitting. :v

Edited by Ice

• At its core, the map is set in cold and snowy Russia.
  • The map is between 25% to 33% the scale of Siege, which means the map is much more compact and with limited open space. It will most likely be the most dense map in APB Delta, and the effect of that will be limited vehicle maneuverability.
  • Roughly 1/3rd of the map is a Soviet R&D facility where MAD Tank technology was developed, and something else... The plot of the map is simple; Something went boom, and both factions have set up their base nearby to find out what happened.
  • You can expect prototype vehicles present in this map. At least one of these vehicles is not native to the Red Alert universe.
  • The map will feature small bases without base defenses. Aircraft is still something I'm undecided on; My focus is on good ground gameplay and great secondary objectives, and air vehicles may not necessarily add to this in a positive way.
  • Expect lava, including new effects for it.

Siege is looking awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing Frostburn Cove as well! :D I just hope those prototypes aren't too crazy or unfitting. :v

I know where the boundaries are when it comes to pushing the fiction in various directions, do not worry.

You won't suddenly see alien space ships or walkers (I'm serious, this is NOT a hint, any custom units will suit the APB Delta adaptation of the Red Alert universe).

Edited by Raap