So can someone fill me in on how mines work i.e. : what can damage them? do they re gen health? can you repair them? ect.

EDIT; APB mines

Also on a side note, what does the spy do when he gets inside each soviet building.

Edited by Death_Kitty

The only weapons that can't hurt mines are pistols, snipers, redeyes, other mines, and MAD tank shockwaves. Unlike vehicles, mines are vulnerable to splash damage.

Mines self-heal 20 seconds after taking damage, until they become hidden again. They cannot be repaired by any tools; if they COULD be repaired by tools, it'd be possible to increase their health far higher than the intended amount - as demonstrated during Gamma where the fools in charge decided to make mines vulnerable to the Mechanic's wrench (yeah totally not allied biased). Any mine that had been wrenched was not only able to survive a V2 landing a foot away from it, but the mine wouldn't even be revealed!

do they even have mines in TS:R?

EMP mines, set by GDI Riot Troopers. These mines disable enemy vehicles and cyborgs.

Also on a side note, what does the spy do when he gets inside each soviet building.

Barracks: See enemy infantry roster

War Factory: See enemy vehicle count

Refinery: See total enemy credits

Power Plant: Disable power, most noticeably the Tesla Coil if present

I forget if infiltrating the Construction Yard or Radar Dome did something; I want to say disable passive base repairs and reveal enemy positions respectively, although I could be wrong.

The thing that bugs me about mines is that it seems rather inconsistent whether you can see them or not when you get up close to them. Sometimes I'll see the faint shimmer, other times they'll be utterly invisible. It just creates a whole lot of uncertainty..."Should I go? Should I not go? Should I risk it or take a different path?" You never know until you walk over the spot and find out the hard way whether you blow up or not.

If mines are supposed to be completely invisible, then the faint shimmer should never show up, otherwise you create this expectation where someone goes "ah-ha, no shimmer...it must be safe!" and then *kaboom*.

Edited by delta

The best way to detect mines is to grab an engineer. These units are able to detect mines in a 30 meter radius around them. They do so with a pinging noise and an icon on the radar. They are also the best way to clear them, as the engineer's clearing charges instantly kills mines. Grab a supply truck and you can refill these clearing charges in the field, great to prepare for a tank push. Or you could hop in a ranger with a Tanya and have fun that way.

Well yeah, I use engineer to clear mines when possible. What I'm talking about here is for all those times when you're not an engineer, then the issue I mentioned comes up.

My point is, if mines are intended to be fully invisible, then they should be always fully invisible. If I step on an invisible mine, and I know that there was no way I could have seen that mine, then that's okay because at least I know the game is operating according to a consistent rule. But if I step on an unseen mine knowing that the game allows me to see mines half the time...well then that rather ticks me off.

Edited by delta

The best way to detect mines is to grab an engineer. These units are able to detect mines in a 30 meter radius around them. They do so with a pinging noise and an icon on the radar. They are also the best way to clear them, as the engineer's clearing charges instantly kills mines. Grab a supply truck and you can refill these clearing charges in the field, great to prepare for a tank push. Or you could hop in a ranger with a Tanya and have fun that way.

Personally, I don't think the ranger and APC should be able to clear mines.

Edited by ganein14

The best way to detect mines is to grab an engineer. send wave after wave of men over the minefields until there are no more mines left.

But FRAYDO sempai, what if they're anti-tank mines? I don't want to lost my tank.

[13:58:20] delta: best minesweeping tool is tank treads

[13:58:27] Voe: yes delta

[13:58:28] Voe: but no

Who you gonna listen to, me or that dastardly Voe?

Edited by delta

I forget if infiltrating the Construction Yard or Radar Dome did something; I want to say disable passive base repairs and reveal enemy positions respectively, although I could be wrong.

I don't remember what infiltrating the construction yard accomplishes, but I do remember that infiltrating the Radar Dome gave Allies permanent radar for the entire match even if either/both got destroyed.