Pc power issue? (I think...)

Sooo... after reading the other Pc gone wrong related topic on here and seeing how many IT repair men W3D has I decided to throw this little puzzler at you.

About 5 - 6 weeks ago my main gaming rig ran into an issue, after powering on at the mains (wall socket) the PC wouldn't power up via the power on button for about 10 - 20 minutes, after which it ran fine with no issue. Annoying but I could live with it.

About 3 weeks ago however it upped the delay between power on at the wall and PC actually powering up via the button to about 1 hour (and a bit) - rather alarming considering I only got it built last year :(

After opening her up, cleaning the inside and replacing the CMOS battery (I think that was what they called it) with no results I came up with a lazy man solution... don't switch the power off at the wall and just unplug everything else from the multisocket except the PC when not in use :)

Well I went on holiday...

...and pulled the plug...

...you can see where this is going can't you?

Yep, Just got back today and the ole girl will not wake up for her morning coffee and gaming session, it's been about 12 hours as of posting since I got back and I think it's safe to say

"She's dead Jim"

So anyone got any ideas as to what killed her? I suspect it's the PSU even though when she was acting weird, once powered up she ran like a champ even under heavy load which if the PSU was faulty you would think would have affected it.

Either that or it's something stupid and someone here will point it out at which point I will be forced to double facepalm :)

It definitely does sound like a power related issue. With what you are describing I cannot see it being anything hardware related outside of the PSU. The only thing I can recommend is a new PSU as well as a power strip (plugging your PC directly into a wall socket is kind of a no-no). Even during the times that the computer seemed to be powering fine from the PSU, that does not necessarily mean that your PSU problems went away. It simply could be going through its last moments before finally dying out.

Yup, BigJoe beat me to it :p

There are ways to force a power-on to test some things but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're really comfortable with that type thing. And it involves a paper clip if you don't have the tool that was made to do it so....yeah. I would leave it unplugged until you can either get the power supply tested or replaced. Leaving it powered can actually damage other components even if its "off" (because part of it is actually on all the time while its plugged in). Leaving it powered with a damaged power supply can actually feed "dirty power" to the other components and that's not good for them.

On the bright side, you're probably looking at less than $75 for a replacement unless you just have a really high power demand, and it only takes a few minutes to do if you take it to a shop. Best of luck!

Thanks guys, Didn't know about the whole leaving it plugged in issue so thanks for the heads up :)

Currently using a Corsair AX... something... (embarrassed silence) it's either a 760 or 860 can't get a good look at the label with the way it's set up and the documentation I have is for both PSU.

I suppose this is what I get for letting a friend build it for me....

Either way I'm probably going to take it through to a PC repair shop tomorrow and let them take a gander at it, hopefully won't cost too much.

Edited by DeviousDave

In the name of Gaming!

The Gaming Rig lives in death!

In the name of Gaming!

The Gaming Rig lives in death!

IN THE NAME OF GAMING!

THE GAMING RIG....

28824-Kane.jpg

THE GAMING RIG LIVES!

Just got back from the PC repair shop, guys who work there took one look at the PSU and basically told me it was toast.

One hour later, I'm £140 lighter and have a new (and improved) PSU.

Turns out that a capacitor in the PSU had blown and shredded a nearby Transistor which in turn caused it to the slag itself and short the PSU :o

Edited by DeviousDave