Long time no post/talk, some people might remember my name, some may not.

I have always liked APB and have always figured it could be redone in Garry's Mod.

So far I have come up with this.

The server as is, is playable, but because I am unsure if advertising is allowed or not you can find that information in the video instead of me posting it here.

The hardest part will be adding vehicles, but it can be done.

Edited by The Commander

Heh, I see no reason why promoting your own Red Alert-inspired project would not be allowed!

I'm not personally familiar with "Garry's Mod" or what game/engine it uses (A mod of a mod?!), so I can't comment on much of this. It looks like you got a long way to go still for sure. :)

Ahh, Gmod. So, for the unfamiliar, Gmod runs on the Half Life 2 engine (or Source Engine). While it is definitely a technically superior engine to W3D, W3D is already set up for what we need it to do. That being said, the Gmod version of this APB would also be fun, though the C&C Game mode has to be scripted into the game.

I'm not knowledgeable on modding either engine, but I would hazard a guess that it would probably be nearly impossible to load a .w3d level into the source engine without some major fanagling/converting. However....assets such as infantry models, tank models....etc would possibly be more doable. What you'll run into though is whether or not the creator of said assets would permit you to use them in such a scenario :)

I'm not knowledgeable on modding either engine, but I would hazard a guess that it would probably be nearly impossible to load a .w3d level into the source engine without some major fanagling/converting. However....assets such as infantry models, tank models....etc would possibly be more doable. What you'll run into though is whether or not the creator of said assets would permit you to use them in such a scenario :)

If you have the orginal model/map sources (3ds/blender etc) it's quite possible to import it as a map mesh.

There are even tools provided by valve to do Google Sketchup to Hammer (the mapping tool for source engine)

Nearly all art assets used in W3D including terrain can be ported over to any game engine due to everything being made in 3DS Max, although texturing will have to be redone. The main exceptions are particle effects/emitters because those are made using a tool specifically designed for W3D. Other things, such as riggings and character animations, would have to be updated to function on a different engine and the use the logic of that engine.

Now take for example an RTS map created in some sort of a world builder tool specifically created for said RTS game, such assets can almost never be ported over due to being very specific to one game in their nature.

But make no mistake, porting over the quantity of assets used in for example, APB, is no small undertaking. More importantly, it ethically isn't possible, due to past artists not having given consent for their contributions to be used in different projects.

Edited by Raap