What's New?

Hey everyone! I haven't been active for a few weeks years and decided, why not see what's going on with APB? And lo and behold, everything moved. So, what's new since... Oh I don't know... 2012? Anyone remember me?

Seriously though, I've pieced together a tiny bit of it. Does anyone play APB any more? Server is empty. What happened to Chronojam?

I remember your name but nothing else - welcome!

Server is empty at 11am? Not a surprise, even the Renegade servers are practically empty right now; at this time a lot of players will be at work in Europe, or still sleeping in the Americas. Peak times are around 7pm-1am GMT.

As for what's changed I would probably run out of space trying to say. Pretty much everything has changed since Gamma and I'm sure most would agree that it's for the better. Here's a few things: Tech Levels no longer unlock gradually (so basically it's like Beta where everything is available from the start as long as you have the money, but the game will still tell you outright what the map's tech level is), naval combat has returned, infantry that are not named Tanya/Volkov/Mechanic are actually worth using now, there's a bunch of new/revamped maps (a few old maps are missing but some of them are in the process of being remade as I speak), and there's an achievements system in the works (a few things need ironing out). There's a bunch of patch notes threads in the project news forums, just skim those if you want a bigger picture :v

Chronojam handed over the project to me (and to TruYuri but he's no longer here either) about one and a half years ago because of a combination of heavy real life issues, hard drive failure, and almost all the previous APB staff going AWOL or wanting to work on some other project for some more modern engine that AFAIK has gone absolutely nowhere in the past year.

-Not to forget the awesome sprint key function (so you don't have to waste 20min of walking in maps). But don't worry you can't shoot while sprinting. -Also crouching makes you radar invisible! (ninja).

All I can say is that Delta delivers the goods

Hey!

What happened to Chronojam?

He found out that paranoia and conspiracy theories, when both are collected in large quantities and stored in a single location, can take a physical form and beat the shit out of you for being a first class muppet.

Oh, and hitting tanks in the rear isn't just cool, it gives a damage boost. Makes playing as the Allies much easier IMO.

15% more damage when at the rear, 15% less damage at the front.

Also:

- Infantry self-heals up to 75% of their health over time now.

- APC, Supply Truck and Naval Transport refill armor, with the latter also refill Engin/Tanya C4s

- Radar Jammer now deployable

- Mammoth Tank tusk missile pretty decent vs. air now, less lethal vs. infantry. Mammys have great traction in climbing hills.

- Demo truck can not one shot anything except base defenses and silos.

- Grenadiers are now the Soviet artillery on foot. Really long range (out ranges defenses), but bad close up.

- Shocks no longer self damage

- Volk has to choose between AT or AP, long reload time make him not great as an offensive building. But still great tank hunter and base defense.

- Thieves do not appear on radar and steal directly from silos on maps without refinery.

- Engineers can detect mines and disarm them using charges.

- Light tank only slightly worse than medium tank versus everything, EXCEPT heavy armor vehicles due to new armor system.

Edited by des1206

Some more stuff:

• There's now 4-5 music tracks per map instead of just the previous 1; they rotate randomly and track names/artists are printed in the chat.
  • There's a version of Camos Canyon that has infantry and vehicle bots; good for messing around in LAN mode with, and sometimes it gets enabled on the server too.
  • Using a radio command also prints your vehicle or infantry name, can be useful for the team to know
  • Chinooks and LSTs now have their own "horns" to complement the Supply Truck, Demolition Truck and Ore Truck ones that got added in Gamma.
  • Multiple Service Depots exist (on most maps) and you don't need to kill any of them to win a game by base destruction unlike before.
  • Medics have a new weapon, the MP5 submachinegun, which has unparalleled anti-infantry power among automatic weapons but terrible accuracy and range, essentially making them CQC powerhouses that can't snipe at all, unlike Gamma where their combat was just "rifle soldier that can regenerate" or pre-Gamma where they basically couldn't defend themselves at all. This makes the Medic very useful for supplementing sergeants/captains/Tanya in building raids - you'd typically only get the chance to heal friendlies in close quarters fights anyway.
  • Arm rigging for character models is much less cringeworthy, pretty much all of them actually hold their weapons properly now and don't have broken wrists.
  • "New" models for the Mechanic and Engineers (actually they're pretty old, they just never got rigged until Delta)
  • Splash damage from tesla weapons, rocket soldiers and main battle tanks now gets completely blocked if there's any cover between the explosion and the infantry. Combined with there being much more stuff to hide behind in the field than before, this is yet another thing that helps infantry survive. On the other hand, splash damage from flamethrowers, nukes and naval artillery now penetrate cover better than they did before.