APB Madness

I used to have the Wilhelm scream as my killboink back in 2010, maybe I should grab that again

Or actually add it to the game and make it like a 1/1000 chance of occurring in the pool of generic death sounds but twiddlers are too dumb to apply separate chances to so I'd need to add 990 clones of everything else :|\\\

So, I had the goal of making a compilation out of each gaming session, and managed to squeeze out three of these. There's not much to part 2, but you should get a kick out of part 3. I will be taking some break from APB, and hopefully during some weekend plays I will get to make lengthier and much better compilations.

Boo on you cutting out the Fissure silo footage just before I began my corner-trolling :v

Also holy shit pyryle started shooting you a full second after his death. That can't be adequately explained as just lag.  :?

Video 3 0:25: I think the soviet technician getting medic'd might have been a spai, just saiyan

Video 2 0:06: I like how lag creates an interesting effect with the LAW/RPG, where a near-miss can still inflict splash damage even though the rocket is still flying away. Like the exhaust is burning their face off  :v

Video 3 0:25: I think the soviet technician getting medic'd might have been a spai, just saiyan

Oh oh...Dragonball Z Abridged reference! Didn't catch it the first time around  :D

Edited by delta

Also holy shit pyryle started shooting you a full second after his death. That can't be adequately explained as just lag.  :?

A lot of times lately my net has been going in and out of connectivity, but not much so that I will get knocked offline for a long time and then come back. I'm pretty sure this is what happened in the video because on my end of things, the transient disconnection causes everybody to do the following: warp, moonwalk in one direction, or both (though I mostly encounter the first) and whatever damage I cause gets applied when my connectivity gets re-established. IDK, just my thoughts on it  :pseudo:

There you have it, Pyryle was indeed cheating. I think one or two players have been proven right over the years :p

shush you :colbert:

I kinda want Goldeneye 64-esque shooting helmets/hats off people except I'm pretty sure none of the helmeted infantry actually have their scalp/hair modelled under them.

Instead you get the head hitbox cutting off at the helmet because those hitboxes are already the same size as the Reborn infantry ones and really don't need to be any bigger judging from how frequently med tank headshots occur. :v

• 1 month later...

0:02 is most likely a result of driving through water, and more prevalent now that water's been nerfed to open a bunch of fording opportunities. Water damage pierces vehicle armour just like it does for infantry. This not only makes it immediately obvious that the water is hurting you, but it means that a vehicle that "just barely" survived a water route can still survive some weapon fire... except for tesla shots which also pierce armour. He probably had something like 20/150 health and 85/150 armour left before you hit him, and a quirk of the way the target health bar works means that it still shows as being 20/150 full despite the arty still having enough armour to survive a rocket. Which works fine for infantry since everything pierces infantry armour, but no so much here.

In development I asked CJ if he could add a broken shield indicator next to the target health bar to indicate that the target has 0 armour, which would make that more clear, as well as being useful information for when you're using a weapon that is stronger against unarmoured inf/vehicles. But he never got around to it. Now that the scripts team has another competent scripter doing HUD work, I'll be sure to ask him if he can do this.

0:40 ...interesting. The Golden Wrench still has a zero damage multiplier to both infantry health and armour, so my only conclusion from this is that radius weapons like the wrench steal ownership of lingering fire/shock damage on any enemy infantry in range? But the Golden Wrench still has to be able to affect enemy objects otherwise it can't disarm. Whatever, this is harmless.

1:14 Geez the butthurt is strong with that guy. Yes the unit that can only hit things in front of it, with a very slow projectile, once per 9 seconds, but is rewarded heftily for managing to do so against fast vehicles, and dies to one phase tank salvo, is a cheat tank. It's not that you're continuing to practice zero caution or evasion around that unit after learning how threatening it is or anything.  :allears:

Geez the butthurt is strong with that guy. Yes the unit that can only hit things in front of it, with a very slow projectile, once per 9 seconds, but is rewarded heftily for managing to do so against fast vehicles, and dies to one phase tank salvo, is a cheat tank. It's not that you're continuing to practice zero caution or evasion around that unit after learning how threatening it is or anything.  :allears:

It's not a tank either, it's a self-propelled artillery truck. :-)

Should arty damage subs that much?

It's already challenging to successfully hit them with arty.

• 3 weeks later...

0:47 Fireballs have 0 projectile size, just like rockets and bullets. You need to tag them with the very centre of the ball, and the trail isn't indicative of anything either. Fireballs did previously have a large projectile at some point, but due to exploits, this feature has been removed from all infantry weapons except AA launchers. It seems he just barely dodged.

Also I swear I should know what that music is from but I forget.

0:59 Clearly he dressed his Hind up in Beta-era foliage. Tracking weapons have always been an enigma in this engine, no matter the game or mod, and I'm sure everyone will be jumping for joy when someone figures out how to make them work properly.

1:35 Wish I could say I masterminded the AI coding behind Killthief Ants but no, it just seems to be a general quirk of this engine's AI. And I love it.

Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...